Plan Day + 7 Days, Thread - Update On-Plan Calls Here Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Plan Day + 7 Days, Thread - Update On-Plan Calls Here

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It seems like there's been a trickle of calls here and there, starting on Friday and continuing through today, but it still seems, to me at least, like the volume has been quite low. I find that pretty surprising. Anyone else?
I've noted the same thing. Other than the SDNY judges who cheated on the plan and some EDPA who did the same, doesn't seem to be a huge volume of movement. I know of some movement from CD Cal and some rural districts, but otherwise seems quiet.
SDNY/some EDNY/EDPA/DNJ can basically be lumped together as completely disregarding the plan and hiring completely off of it or not in strict conformity to it.
With some exceptions, yah. Though I haven't seen evidence that the EDNY judges that purported to be on plan have violated that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It seems like there's been a trickle of calls here and there, starting on Friday and continuing through today, but it still seems, to me at least, like the volume has been quite low. I find that pretty surprising. Anyone else?
I've noted the same thing. Other than the SDNY judges who cheated on the plan and some EDPA who did the same, doesn't seem to be a huge volume of movement. I know of some movement from CD Cal and some rural districts, but otherwise seems quiet.
SDNY/some EDNY/EDPA/DNJ (which is almost full from what I understand) can basically be lumped together as completely disregarding the plan and hiring completely off of it or not in strict conformity to it. Might be a 2nd Cir./Third Cir. issue.
There's a big chunk of SDNY judges who did not, at least explicitly, buck the plan and who, from what I can gather, don't seem to have yet made calls. There's a handful of SDNY judges, 5-7 or so, who had already been scheduling, and in some cases conducting interviews ahead of time. But it doesn't seem like much of anyone has heard from the rest of (the majority of) the court. And even the 2nd Circuit doesn't seem to be engaging much. There are a few 2nd Circuit judges who hired a while ago, and a few who have started hiring in the past week or so, it seems. But that still leaves a bunch of the 2nd Circuit as well who hasn't seemed to do much yet. I also haven't heard much about the "on plan" DC Circuit judges either (Brown, Rogers, Sentelle...).

This is what I find surprising.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:22 pm

I think it's possible that a number of judges are just taking time to review applications. If I'm remembering the old plan correctly, judges had a few days after applications were released to review them before they were allowed to schedule interviews. It could be that many are still taking a few days before moving forward (at least that's what I'm telling myself).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SDNY/some EDNY/EDPA/DNJ (which is almost full from what I understand) can basically be lumped together as completely disregarding the plan and hiring completely off of it or not in strict conformity to it. Might be a 2nd Cir./Third Cir. issue.
There's a big chunk of SDNY judges who did not, at least explicitly, buck the plan and who, from what I can gather, don't seem to have yet made calls. There's a handful of SDNY judges, 5-7 or so, who had already been scheduling, and in some cases conducting interviews ahead of time. But it doesn't seem like much of anyone has heard from the rest of (the majority of) the court. And even the 2nd Circuit doesn't seem to be engaging much. There are a few 2nd Circuit judges who hired a while ago, and a few who have started hiring in the past week or so, it seems. But that still leaves a bunch of the 2nd Circuit as well who hasn't seemed to do much yet. I also haven't heard much about the "on plan" DC Circuit judges either (Brown, Rogers, Sentelle...).

This is what I find surprising.

For SDNY, there are definitely more than 5-7 judges who moved early not counting judges who hire 2 years out. I think it's going to be a unsuccessful year for most 3L's. The hiring schedule has become more staggered with a greater emphasis on alumni hiring. Spots that 3L's are normally in the mix for just are not there any more. Working at firms, state court clerkships, etc. along with the typical requirements now seem to be becoming the pre-requisites for fed. clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14 pm

So is it over if you haven't been contacted for an interview yet? Seems like most judges would have reviewed apps and made calls by now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So is it over if you haven't been contacted for an interview yet? Seems like most judges would have reviewed apps and made calls by now.

It's definitely not over yet. Every year, there are federal judges in major cities who don't get around to hiring until well after the plan officially begins. Give it a few weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:38 pm

EDNY/SDNY magistrate call today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:26 pm

anybody hear from any flyovers today? becoming increasingly aware of my silent phone/email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anybody hear from any flyovers today? becoming increasingly aware of my silent phone/email.
Heard from one flyover and one semi-flyover in AL / GA / FL today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:51 am

My friend got a call in one of the Island districts (PR/VI/Guam/NMI)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:44 am

i got a call yesterday from a AL/FL/GA district court for an interview next week.

for what it's worth, one of my professors speculated that the calls may lag a bit this summer because a lot of the current clerks don't have employment locked up, and the judges will wait for that to happen before they start selecting their replacement.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:32 am

But the hiring going on right now isn't to replace current clerks, it's to replace the clerks that replace the current clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Motz (D. Md.) is full per oscar and email.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Motz (D. Md.) is full per oscar and email.
Also Quarles in D.Md

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Call today from an on-plan D.N.J. judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Not sure how many people care about Magistrate Judges but I had a telephone screener for an on plan judge in the southwest today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Phonecall for SDNY interview earlier today.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:38 pm

had an email Friday and interview today for an NC district judge. had an email Sunday, phone interview yesterday, and have an in-person interview scheduled for tomorrow for a different NC district judge. i'm not a spectacular applicant by any means, but i have very strong NC ties.

buddingjd

New

Post by buddingjd » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Crickets

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:17 pm

buddingjd wrote:Crickets
Relax, its 5:15 EDT on July 3rd.

Between no application review week and the holiday, we can't be shocked that so few judges are moving.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Posted in wrong thread

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:31 pm

sundance95 wrote:
buddingjd wrote:Crickets
Relax, its 5:15 EDT on July 3rd.

Between no application review week and the holiday, we can't be shocked that so few judges are moving.
Not shocked, no. But, anxiety-ridden? Sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:03 am

Call from a SSC judge. East Coast. (NJ/PA/CT)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:43 am

Received three calls on Friday, one on Monday, and one on Tuesday.

Friday= 2nd Cir., 3rd Cir., and C.D.C
Monday= C.D.C.
Tuesday= 6th Cir.

I scheduled the interviews for this week and next, but accepted an offer for the 2nd Cir.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:18 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”