SDNY Magistrate

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
shockandawe10

SDNY Magistrate

Postby shockandawe10 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:40 am

I'm wondering if an SDNY Magistrate clerkship is worth the year. Here are my stats:

BC/BU
Top 10%
Secondary Journal, E-Board, published 2x
Moot Court
Mid-law SA and offer

I have always wanted to clerk and would hope to parlay it into a district court clerkship somewhere the following year, then into private practice. I'm not sure if my firm would hold my offer, so it would be a risk. I'm trying to gauge whether that risk is worth it. I eventually want to end up in Boston. Any advice is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: SDNY Magistrate

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:20 am

I definitely would try to find out through former clerks if possible as to how much the judge goes to bat for his/her clerks as far as connecting them for federal clerkships. It's helpful if you could find one who followed your prospective route as well. There are some judges that do not do a darn thing for their clerks in terms of future employment. I think finding out where your judge stands would be incredibly helpful since clerkships (especially SDNY clerkships) are such an insider's game.

lolwat

Re: SDNY Magistrate

Postby lolwat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:31 am

Is it possible to find out from your firm whether they'll hold the offer? Or did you already ask and they basically said "we dunno."

I really don't know about magistrate judge clerkships but the fact that you WANT to clerk might make it a really good idea to do so.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”