DOJ Honors and Clerking

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

DOJ Honors and Clerking

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:17 am

So I'll be starting my clerkship this fall. I applied for DOJ Honors last fall and didn't get it. I still would like to do the Honors Program. I'm assuming that I apply again this fall? Do I just go through the regular process all over again this fall?

And I don't see how I can talk about a clerkship I didn't even do; do I just talk about 3L grades or something?

Anyone go through this process (or similar)?

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors and Clerking

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I'll be starting my clerkship this fall. I applied for DOJ Honors last fall and didn't get it. I still would like to do the Honors Program. I'm assuming that I apply again this fall? Do I just go through the regular process all over again this fall?

And I don't see how I can talk about a clerkship I didn't even do; do I just talk about 3L grades or something?

Anyone go through this process (or similar)?

Yes, I did this. You go through the exact same process again.

As for talking about your clerkship - what will you really need to say about it? There's a place on the application to list the clerkship, so they'll see you have it. There's nothing about the application essays that requires you to be able to talk about your clerkship achievements in detail. You can certainly talk about why you decided to do a clerkship and what you hope to get out of it, where relevant. You also have to list all your grades and your final GPA elsewhere in the application, so I don't know why you'd be talking about 3L grades? And if you get an interview, they're in October, so presumably you'll have started your clerkship by then so can talk about it at least somewhat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:27 pm

Should you put your judge as a reference or even mention him/her? Or is too early for that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:36 pm

I didn't list my judge as a reference, since I thought it was too early for that - I'd worked all of 2 weeks when the application was due (I listed him as an employer in my job history and said they could contact him, but didn't list him as a reference specifically). The interview was scheduled in October, and at that point you submit a writing sample. When I asked my judge about using an order as a writing sample, he volunteered to serve as a reference. So after the interview, I e-mailed the contact people and offered the judge as an additional reference, which was no problem.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:58 pm

So I had the understanding that most people applied to DOJ Honors after a clerkship. But you said you applied in the summer a year before your clerkship. Did you do it as a rising 3L as an alternative to clerking or were you already working?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:22 pm

I didn't apply a year before my clerkship - the application was the summer right before my clerkship started. You apply to Honors for a job that starts after your clerkship, but you have to apply while you're doing the clerkship (usually right at the start, if it's a one-year clerkship). The application opens at the end of July and is due right around Labor Day, for a job that will start the following fall (you apply in the fall of 2012 to start work in the fall of 2013). So you can apply for Honors as a rising 3L to start after graduation; or, if you get a clerkship for directly after graduation, you can apply during the summer that you take the bar/fall that you start your clerkship, to start after you finish your clerkship.

So, for example, I was offered a federal clerkship in July 2011; I started it last August (2012) and the Honors app was due Sept 4 (or around there); I interviewed in October and got an offer in November. I finish my clerkship in August (2013), and will (hopefully) start working in September (2013).

(Keep in mind that you can't have actually worked as an attorney or you're disqualified from applying to the Honors program - they're supposed to be entry-level positions. So you can only apply after graduation if you started a clerkship, full-time legal fellowship, Presidential Management Fellowship, or full-time graduate program within 9 months of graduation. They've also now added a limit on how many Honors Program cycles you can remain eligible for, so if you clerked for, say, 5 years, you wouldn't be eligible to apply. The relevant info is here: http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/en ... ility.html).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:05 am

Did any of you guys recycle essays? I am filling it out right now and a bit unmotivated... :hehe:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:00 pm

I suppose it depends how good you think your essays were! I didn't actually recycle (in part because I don't think had a copy of my earlier version), but I'd be shocked if I said something radically different the second time round.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”