Your chances at a clerkship: my thoughts

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Re: Your chances at a clerkship: my thoughts

Postby lolwat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:24 am

No, not everyone can submit a good writing sample. You should see some of the samples that come through chambers. Most are sections of notes/commentaries . . . some of which were lightly edited and give the judge no insight into whether you can actually write an internal memo or a draft opinion. This doesn't include ones that contain grammatical errors, etc some of which come from students from national law schools. That's why there's a trend among judges to ask for two writing samples. Better sample size from which to figure out how well you can actually do the job they're hiring you to do.

Good/bad writing appears from all schools, sure. It's not the only job that you're being hired to do, though.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:01 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Exactly- there is no way for a judge to know if you are a good writer by looking at your application. Anyone can submit a good writing sample.

No, not everyone can submit a good writing sample. You should see some of the samples that come through chambers. Most are sections of notes/commentaries . . . some of which were lightly edited and give the judge no insight into whether you can actually write an internal memo or a draft opinion. This doesn't include ones that contain grammatical errors, etc some of which come from students from national law schools. That's why there's a trend among judges to ask for two writing samples. Better sample size from which to figure out how well you can actually do the job they're hiring you to do.

I hope not. It's hard enough finding an appropriate writing sample.

Seriously. Every piece of workproduct that's halfway decent I've ever produced has been privileged or heavily edited by others except for one (which I use, but is hideously boring for most people).

I didn't realize academic samples were so frowned upon.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:07 pm

They're really not, but this is another highly judge-dependent thing. Some tell you they prefer them and others tell you not to submit them because they want something else.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:48 pm

lolwat wrote:

They're really not, but this is another highly judge-dependent thing. Some tell you they prefer them and others tell you not to submit them because they want something else.

Yes, it varies. Total generalization is that COA judges will be more interested in academic samples and district ct. judges will be more interested in practical samples, but even that will vary. And the problem with academic samples is not always so much that they're academic, as much as that if it's your note, they're heavily edited (especially for publication, but even if you don't publish they usually go through editing by casenote/comment editors).

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”