Tasteful thank you gift to professor recommenders?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Tasteful thank you gift to professor recommenders?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:40 am

Hi, I was wondering what would be a classy, tasteful thank you gift for my law profs who helped me so much in getting a clerkship. Maybe it's part of their job description, but I just feel like saying thanks because they did a lot to write letters and even make calls and so forth. I would love to hear what you did or what your thoughts are. Gracias.

Anonymous User

Re: Tasteful thank you gift to professor recommenders?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:11 am

Depending on your school and how it sends letters, would give a thought to writing your professor a very sincere, handwritten thank-you letter, and giving a gift to the profs' assistants, who likely had to do a lot of work in mailing/compiling.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:30 am

Hand written thank you is a good idea.

I would get them something you know they like. You have to have picked up on some of their tastes, right? So if they really like giraffes... get them something to do with giraffes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:30 pm

I always thought a nice pen was a good gift for recommenders.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Chocolates are TASTEFUL.

More seriously, what Nova said.

A hand-written thank-you letter is very nice. And if possible, keep them updated with stuff that's going on with you and maintain an ongoing relationship (whether professional or more friendship) with them. My (limited, of course) experience is that many of these profs actually cared and didn't just write letters/make calls because it's part of their job, or because it makes them/the school look better to get you a clerkship. Stay connected with them.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:56 pm

I gave them a hand-written thank you and a Starbucks card. A bottle of wine is cool if you know they drink, I think I gave one of my undergrad professors a bottle of scotch, but only because I know how much he likes scotch and I've drank with him many times. Not a good idea if you're unsure.

Gift cards are probably the way to go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, I was wondering what would be a classy, tasteful thank you gift for my law profs who helped me so much in getting a clerkship. Maybe it's part of their job description, but I just feel like saying thanks because they did a lot to write letters and even make calls and so forth. I would love to hear what you did or what your thoughts are. Gracias.

I wouldn't do something like a gift card where it has an obvious dollar value. I would do a nice handwritten card with flowers or a bottle of wine.

EddieNajera

Postby EddieNajera » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:49 am

Professors give us right education and then its our duty to show a thanks giving gesture towards them. To give a thank you gift to our professors would show our respect towards them. Also, they will feel loved.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi, I was wondering what would be a classy, tasteful thank you gift for my law profs who helped me so much in getting a clerkship. Maybe it's part of their job description, but I just feel like saying thanks because they did a lot to write letters and even make calls and so forth. I would love to hear what you did or what your thoughts are. Gracias.

I wouldn't do something like a gift card where it has an obvious dollar value. I would do a nice handwritten card with flowers or a bottle of wine.

Agreed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:39 am

Got my prof a gift basket (fruit/chocolate/sausage) as she wrote me rec letters for more than just clerkship. She really appreciated it.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:50 am

EddieNajera wrote:Professors give us right education and then its our duty to show a thanks giving gesture towards them. To give a thank you gift to our professors would show our respect towards them. Also, they will feel loved.

Best thread bump ever.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:04 am

Holy shit, is this a real thing? You only do this once you get a clerkship tho right?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 07, 2016 1:51 am

I never got any of my profs dick. Sigh. Maybe I should get on this

clovis

Postby clovis » Sat May 07, 2016 4:47 am

The book DEAR COMMITTEE MEMBERS, a humorous novel in the form of academic letters of recommendation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 07, 2016 7:56 pm

I did bottles of wine.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat May 07, 2016 8:00 pm

I did cash.

haus

Postby haus » Sat May 07, 2016 8:22 pm

911 just be sure to select a tasteful color

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Fri May 20, 2016 11:54 pm

I gave a little note and a bag (nicely packaged) of home roasted coffee to the profs who wrote law school admission LoRs for me. Thinking I will probably give wine to one of the profs I am going to ask for a clerkship letter and maybe coffee again (since I have talked to him about it) for the other one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2016 3:24 am

I've had to give gifts (for work and in law school), and I always try to take the person into account. Try to find a gift with a personal connection to something that you know they like or that they have shown interest in. If all else fails a gift basket/edible arrangements is nice. If there is some locally sourced treat, something unique and special that would be cool too (in my area, we have a unique bakery that is famous for their cookies and an olive grove that is famous for their olives).

I think the poster above has a good idea too. I know I make a candy that is unique to my culture, and people really do seem to enjoy it. But again, I always try to consider the audience.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sat May 21, 2016 6:46 am

jbagelboy wrote:I never got any of my profs dick. Sigh. Maybe I should get on this
I know you have a high opinion of yourself but sexing professors is hardly a "gift" duder

raven1231

Postby raven1231 » Sat May 21, 2016 7:23 am

I got them a box of chocolate truffles and a star bucks gift card.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 21, 2016 9:12 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I never got any of my profs dick. Sigh. Maybe I should get on this
I know you have a high opinion of yourself but sexing professors is hardly a "gift" duder

Haha. Poor word choice on my part.

I did eventually do cards.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”