clerkship chances

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

clerkship chances

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:17 pm

I am pretty unfamiliar to the process and I know with the plan in shambles everything is getting moved forward. Right now, after 1L, I have a 4.0 at BU (puts me well inside the top5%). I am deciding whether to transfer or not and whether I have a realistic chance at a clerkship definitely plays into my calculus. Oh, I have also graded onto Law Review. thanks again - i know this could be an inane question but again I am weighing the transfer option just to maximize my chances at a great outcome.

Anonymous User

Re: clerkship chances

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:25 pm

You have a shot at transferring to H.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You have a shot at transferring to H.

OP here. I put an app into H. I am just not sure how transferring would constrain my options thereafter and if my position at BU would be better than that after transferring.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:45 pm

Well, BU placed 4.8% of the class of 2012 in federal clerkships, while Harvard placed 17.8% in federal clerkships. Personally, I would prefer the odds coming out of Harvard, even though you are (currently) in an admirable position at BU.

In terms of constraints, my understanding is that transfers may find it harder to get good LORs lined up, since you won't be able to strengthen relationships with your 1L profs, and won't have known any of your 2L profs for very long. But I think if you're proactive about this it's not that bad. The other issue is law review - I don't know how hard it is to get onto Harvard LR as a transfer. But I also don't think you need LR as badly (as opposed to a secondary journal) coming out of Harvard. (That's pure speculation on my part, though.)

Obviously this is apart from all the other considerations for transferring, which I can't address.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:03 am

You should transfer if you want COA. If you're content clerking at D. Mass. or something, then you're probably okay staying. We just don't have many COA judges who regularly take BU grads; #1 in the class this year is going to a COA judge, but #1 and #2 last year only went to D. Mass. The only good bet before was RAing for Maclin and hoping to get the in with Martin on the 6th, but I think Martin stopped taking clerks this year because of health issues.

Good job on your grades.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:18 am

nevdash wrote:You should transfer if you want COA. If you're content clerking at D. Mass. or something, then you're probably okay staying. We just don't have many COA judges who regularly take BU grads; #1 in the class this year is going to a COA judge, but #1 and #2 last year only went to D. Mass. The only good bet before was RAing for Maclin and hoping to get the in with Martin on the 6th, but I think Martin stopped taking clerks this year because of health issues.

Good job on your grades.

I can't believe it's that bad, why don't you guys place better in clerkships? You do a lot better than us with big firms.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:35 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
nevdash wrote:You should transfer if you want COA. If you're content clerking at D. Mass. or something, then you're probably okay staying. We just don't have many COA judges who regularly take BU grads; #1 in the class this year is going to a COA judge, but #1 and #2 last year only went to D. Mass. The only good bet before was RAing for Maclin and hoping to get the in with Martin on the 6th, but I think Martin stopped taking clerks this year because of health issues.

Good job on your grades.

I can't believe it's that bad, why don't you guys place better in clerkships? You do a lot better than us with big firms.

It must be because our CDO is just the worst. I think the only reason we do well with biglaw placement is that the CDO can't possibly mess it up; they just run OCI the same way that they have been for a decade, and firms come and do their thing. But their incompetence is probably why BU has feast-or-famine job stats; if you aren't in the 33% or whatever who get biglaw, there's a good chance that you're straight fucked. They can't help you get midlaw, they can't help you get gov, and they can't help you get a clerkship. There was a dude who was top 15% with LR and who, for whatever reason, struck out at OCI. He graduated unemployed, and has only found part-time work since.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:31 am

First, the bad news: you can't make HLR as a transfer (you also can't make BSA or HLAB, but you can do one of the many secondary journals at Harvard and perhaps get a board position).

The good news: transfers frequently do very well in the clerkship hunt here, particularly if you are willing to clerk as an alum. We have plenty of transfers who have lined up COA clerkships, clerkships in SDNY and other competitive district courts, etc. HLS will give you lots of advantages in the clerkship hunt (the name, access to well-known professors, one of the best clerkship advising programs out there), but your success will largely turn on how you develop recommendations with your professors and whether you can get someone who will go to bat for you.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:21 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:First, the bad news: you can't make HLR as a transfer

You actually can, you just have to do the write on at the same time as everyone else, so ie before you know whether you've gotten in as a transfer. So it probably happens extremely rarely, and it's obviously too late for OP.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:37 am

Haven't checked this forum in a few days but omg TRANSFER, imo. 100%. I wouldn't think twice about it with what I know now if I were in that position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:37 am

Are you getting money at BU? Ideally where would you want to clerk?

I was in a similar position at a similar school and decided not to transfer. I had scholarship money and personal reasons to stay. I ended up with a great clerkship. I don't know much about BU but if it's like my school, faculty are very helpful for people near the top of the class who want to gun for clerkships.

If you're only considering H I think there's a good case to be made for staying, especially if you are getting money. There are so many people going for clerkships from H that you may get lost as a transfer. If you would transfer to Y that's a different ballgame.

dbt

Postby dbt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:46 pm

With a 4.0 at BU I'm not sure why you wouldn't also throw an application to Yale, unless you don't want to leave Boston. Clerkship prospects will be stronger coming out of Yale, and you have a much easier time making law journal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:34 pm

dbt wrote:With a 4.0 at BU I'm not sure why you wouldn't also throw an application to Yale, unless you don't want to leave Boston. Clerkship prospects will be stronger coming out of Yale, and you have a much easier time making law journal.

OP here. I have not, thus far, applied to Yale. My undergraduate record is weak. Strong LA college but i just dicked around and have a GPA just north of 3. I figured with the limited strength of my undergrad record, despite 4 years of subsequent work experience, that it was a wasted application. Applied to H and S tho.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
dbt wrote:With a 4.0 at BU I'm not sure why you wouldn't also throw an application to Yale, unless you don't want to leave Boston. Clerkship prospects will be stronger coming out of Yale, and you have a much easier time making law journal.

OP here. I have not, thus far, applied to Yale. My undergraduate record is weak. Strong LA college but i just dicked around and have a GPA just north of 3. I figured with the limited strength of my undergrad record, despite 4 years of subsequent work experience, that it was a wasted application. Applied to H and S tho.

Apply to Y. What's the harm? $50?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”