Which judges review all apps themselves?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Which judges review all apps themselves?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:07 pm

I know that the most common practice is for clerks to winnow down the pile of applications that comes in to a small handfull, but I've heard that some judges instead read every resume and make the initial cut themselves. Does anyone know of any judges who do this?

fordtheriver

Re: Which judges review all apps themselves?

Postby fordtheriver » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Curious about this as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:00 am

This is just a rumor, but I heard that Sidney Thomas (9th Cir.) does this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:28 am

I've heard rumors that Farris (9th) and Jordan (11th) do this.

Anyone know of others?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:46 pm

A little bit off topic:

The Fed COA judge I clerked for had his secretary do it and look for certain things that he liked (i.e. local, good school or certain schools that he commonly hired from or had connections with, good grades). The clerks had almost no role, but could get an application in a stack if they knew of someone. The scary thing is that the secretary made a lot of mistakes and would miss perfect candidates when sifting through the mass of applications. So a great applicant that would otherwise get an interview would be completely missed. Just another reason to have a prof call on your behalf to make sure your application is looked at.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A little bit off topic:

The Fed COA judge I clerked for had his secretary do it and look for certain things that he liked (i.e. local, good school or certain schools that he commonly hired from or had connections with, good grades). The clerks had almost no role, but could get an application in a stack if they knew of someone. The scary thing is that the secretary made a lot of mistakes and would miss perfect candidates when sifting through the mass of applications. So a great applicant that would otherwise get an interview would be completely missed. Just another reason to have a prof call on your behalf to make sure your application is looked at.

It's impossible when you get hundreds/thousand+ of applications and half of the top schools don't rank. This "school does not rank" thing is bullshit from the perspective of looking at applications to decide who to interview. Makes things so much more difficult.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:47 pm

Others?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”