Professors calling judge on my behalf

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Professors calling judge on my behalf

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Several of my professors have offered to put in calls on my behalf if I interview with a judge. I wanted to get a sense of how accepted this is? If the professor/former judge from an internship makes an unsolicited call to a judge he/she doesn't even know, is that helpful? Do interviewing judges welcome such calls? Should I ask the prof to call before or after my interview? I may sound paranoid, but I just don't want to break any unspoken rules.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Professors calling judge on my behalf

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Totally accepted and incredibly valuable - it can be the only thing that makes you stand out in the crowd of applications, and a half (3/4? 95%) of the battle is getting your application looked at. It's most helpful if the professor knows the judge, but it's still fine if the professor doesn't know the judge (and especially so if it's another judge calling your judge - professional colleagues!). Judges are fine with this - it helps them decide, too, and if they don't want to talk about you they'll just tell the person that. I would have them call before the interview (actually, I'd have them call after you apply but before you even get an interview, because personal calls should increase the numbers of interviews you'd get. But if you already have an interview lined up, they should call before the interview).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Totally accepted and incredibly valuable - it can be the only thing that makes you stand out in the crowd of applications, and a half (3/4? 95%) of the battle is getting your application looked at. It's most helpful if the professor knows the judge, but it's still fine if the professor doesn't know the judge (and especially so if it's another judge calling your judge - professional colleagues!). Judges are fine with this - it helps them decide, too, and if they don't want to talk about you they'll just tell the person that. I would have them call before the interview (actually, I'd have them call after you apply but before you even get an interview, because personal calls should increase the numbers of interviews you'd get. But if you already have an interview lined up, they should call before the interview).

This. Professor calls are extremely helpful even if they don't know the judge. A professor speaking effusively on your behalf is one of the best weapons you can have in the clerkship application battle. Take them up on their offer and don't look back.

I tend to think that the timing of the call (before vs. after you are offered an interview) is a tough question and depends on how likely you are to get an interview in the first place. If your stats are compelling for a particular judge, you may want to have the professor call immediately before your interview. If not, your best return on investment, so to speak, is to have the professor call soon after your application is received so as to increase your chances of getting an interview from slim to not-so-slim. If you're not sure, err on the side of earlier calls. Effusive praise is effusive praise no matter when it arrives, and for the vast majority of applicants getting an interview is the biggest hurdle.

You have to picture the situation in chambers. They are getting hundreds, if not over a thousand applications for every clerkship spot. Many of those can be eliminated immediately based on a combination of school, grade, and other academic cutoffs. But even after that process there are still likely over 100 applications that all meet the academic criteria. Professor calls are one of the best ways to get your application picked out from that pile.

aliens

Postby aliens » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:38 pm

I would caution against too many calls though. My judge does not like to take these calls but prefers the clerks take them and relay the info back to the judge. One candidate had too many professors call and it really turned the judge off on this candidate. It was one of the key reasons that this candidate did not get the position.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”