References v. Recommendations Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ClerkingTom

New

References v. Recommendations

Post by ClerkingTom » Fri May 31, 2013 1:14 pm

During the application process on OSCAR, it appears that there are separate places for references and recommendations.

My question is, are people who are agreeing to write recommendations also, de facto, your references and you should list them? Or should references only include people whom are separately agreeing to be references and take phone calls, and I should be asking letter-writers separately if they are willing to be references?

lolwat

Silver

Re: References v. Recommendations

Post by lolwat » Fri May 31, 2013 2:00 pm

99.9% of the judges require either recommendations OR references (and mostly recommendations). The answer to your first question is generally "yes" - the people that write you letters also likely have an understanding that they might be called by a judge to talk. I believe most of the letters actually include a sentence that says something like "I would be happy to speak with you further if you would like. my # is ________."

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”