Newly confirmed district judge -- how to apply?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
wormhole

Newly confirmed district judge -- how to apply?

Postby wormhole » Wed May 29, 2013 6:41 pm

A judge in my district just got confirmed a couple of weeks ago, and I'm trying to apply for a 2014 position. How can/should I contact this judge if he is not on OSCAR yet, or more likely won't be hiring through OSCAR?

lolwat

Re: Newly confirmed district judge -- how to apply?

Postby lolwat » Wed May 29, 2013 7:29 pm

You have a couple of options but the best thing to do is probably to call the courthouse(s) in the district and ask for that judge's chambers. Once you get the JA on the phone ask about applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 7:31 pm

wormhole wrote:A judge in my district just got confirmed a couple of weeks ago, and I'm trying to apply for a 2014 position. How can/should I contact this judge if he is not on OSCAR yet, or more likely won't be hiring through OSCAR?

You might call the clerk's office and explain the situation. They will probably either transfer you to the judge's chambers, if s/he has one yet, or tell you to mail in your materials to the courthouse.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Thu May 30, 2013 9:57 am

I agree with calling. You should also check the district court's website. They will likely have a job posting for the clerkship. However, since you are looking for 2014, the judge will probably not be thinking about 2014. If you already graduated, you should shoot for the current position.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu May 30, 2013 10:08 am

legalese_retard wrote:I agree with calling. You should also check the district court's website. They will likely have a job posting for the clerkship. However, since you are looking for 2014, the judge will probably not be thinking about 2014. If you already graduated, you should shoot for the current position.

About job posting, it's possible but sometimes they don't. Also http://www.uscourts.gov careers will post clerkship openings like that too.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”