Applying to NJ Appellate Judges

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
polkadots

Applying to NJ Appellate Judges

Postby polkadots » Mon May 27, 2013 3:41 pm

I know you can apply with just a cover letter and resume, but is it better to send the rest of your materials along with the initial application, or just wait until the judges request them so you're aware of exactly what they want? Any insight would be appreciated!

PotentialClerk

Re: Applying to NJ Appellate Judges

Postby PotentialClerk » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:55 pm

Anybody have any interviews set up with App. Div. or SC judges in NJ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:41 pm

The New Jersey Supreme Court followed the revamped federal hiring plan along with most of the Appellate Division. I'd assume this had a ripple effect on assignment judges who typically try to hire in lockstep with the App.Div. because they fight over the same pool of clerk candidates. Some regular trial judges also have moved with the plan to try to tap into the same pool as would have been done in early September/October.

PotentialClerk

Postby PotentialClerk » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:25 am

So that didn't really answer my question. I was wondering if anyone personally had any interviews. I know for a fact that at least some SC/App. judges are waiting until August or September as they did in the past. I understand that they are "following the federal hiring plan," but just wondering if they were interviewing this early or just contacting potential interviewees. Also, wondering if interviewing is early but offers won't go out until fall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:36 am

No one knows because of the new system they implemented this year.

My apps were sent as an entire package and I did snag a few interviews - caveat is this was last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:26 am

I think it depends on the judge, but it seems that many are waiting until August/September. I know of at least one Sup. Ct. judge who said she isn't looking until the Fall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:28 pm

If judges request additional materials, how will they contact you? Email?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”