Summer Interviews/SA

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Summer Interviews/SA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 10:53 pm

With the hiring plan being pushed forward and some state courts following suit, do people think that firms will be flexible in giving time off for interviews during a summer program? My firm (V20 if that matters) has a policy that we can take one day off over the summer. Any past experiences working with a firm on taking time off to interview would be appreciated.

lolwat

Re: Summer Interviews/SA

Postby lolwat » Tue May 07, 2013 8:41 am

No personal experience, but since most firms are already willing to keep offers open for a year while you clerk and pay a bonus when you actually start, I can't imagine it would be a problem for you to interview for clerkships during the summer, especially once firms learn about the hiring plan change.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:29 am

I have several interviews and my firm (DC V25) has been very accommodating. They definitely want people to get clerkships, although most of my co-SAs already have them. Ballers...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:50 am

I took at least 3 days off from my SA to do clerkship interviews. They were very accommodating. Give them as much notice as you can, and ideally try to schedule on a Friday when the office is less busy or on a day when you might have some SA events so you would be working less than a full day anyway. Just be respectful of the fact that they're paying you a lot of money for a pretty easy job and so giving time off is pretty generous.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”