Entering BigLaw After 3 Years of Clerking

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Entering BigLaw After 3 Years of Clerking

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm a current appellate clerk looking into a follow-up two year district court clerkship, but I'm curious as to whether having clerked for three years would lead to complications when I return either to my 2L summer firm or another firm in my market (NY/SF/DC/LA). In terms of class credit, I assume I'd be coming in as a fourth year? I can't imagine starting at that level without having had any firm experience; anyone know whether clerking for three years is consequently a bad idea?

nonprofit-prophet

Re: Entering BigLaw After 3 Years of Clerking

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu May 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a current appellate clerk looking into a follow-up two year district court clerkship, but I'm curious as to whether having clerked for three years would lead to complications when I return either to my 2L summer firm or another firm in my market (NY/SF/DC/LA). In terms of class credit, I assume I'd be coming in as a fourth year? I can't imagine starting at that level without having had any firm experience; anyone know whether clerking for three years is consequently a bad idea?

I could be wrong, but I thought they only give one class year credit, regardless of how many years you clerk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 10:17 pm

That would be a much better situation. I had been told that if you clerk for two years you come in as a third year, but that could be completely wrong. Regardless, do you think having clerked for three years would start to look like overkill on your resume?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu May 02, 2013 10:17 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a current appellate clerk looking into a follow-up two year district court clerkship, but I'm curious as to whether having clerked for three years would lead to complications when I return either to my 2L summer firm or another firm in my market (NY/SF/DC/LA). In terms of class credit, I assume I'd be coming in as a fourth year? I can't imagine starting at that level without having had any firm experience; anyone know whether clerking for three years is consequently a bad idea?

I could be wrong, but I thought they only give one class year credit, regardless of how many years you clerk.

that is what I have heard - unless its SCOTUS, in which case you get two+ years

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:35 pm

I was pretty sure you could get a max of two years credit...

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 pm

jd20132013 wrote:I was pretty sure you could get a max of two years credit...

Totally firm dependent. Some will credit any amount of years (very rare), some a max of two years (common), some a max of one year (common), and some hate clerkships (very rare).

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu May 02, 2013 11:55 pm

Corporate or Litigation? Firm policy is what really matters, but it seems that lit groups are generally more tolerant than Corporate groups toward clerking in general.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 12:17 am

Data point: at my firm, someone entering after three years of clerking comes in as a fourth year associate, at least for compensation purposes. For partnership, it's evaluated case-by-case.

I know one attorney who was made partner one year later than others in the same graduating class year, because he spent three years clerking. So in that respect, he "lost" a year. But he was paid as a fourth-year during his first year in private practice, which is pretty sweet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 7:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Data point: at my firm, someone entering after three years of clerking comes in as a fourth year associate, at least for compensation purposes. For partnership, it's evaluated case-by-case.

I know one attorney who was made partner one year later than others in the same graduating class year, because he spent three years clerking. So in that respect, he "lost" a year. But he was paid as a fourth-year during his first year in private practice, which is pretty sweet.

Wouldn't that put you in a rough situation, i.e. you're making fourth year money and I would assume getting fourth year tasks with no prior firm training? Or is BigLaw work really so basic that you can skip three years of introduction and still manage it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Data point: at my firm, someone entering after three years of clerking comes in as a fourth year associate, at least for compensation purposes. For partnership, it's evaluated case-by-case.

Wouldn't that put you in a rough situation, i.e. you're making fourth year money and I would assume getting fourth year tasks with no prior firm training? Or is BigLaw work really so basic that you can skip three years of introduction and still manage it?

I imagine clerking for three years might be different, but for people who clerk for two years, most firms will give third-year standing for compensation purposes, and second-year standing for all other purposes. I can't imagine any firm would want you to come in as a fourth-year associate for "work" purposes without having spent a day in a big law firm, and I would imagine there are many that wouldn't want to treat you as a third-year for seniority purposes either. In your type of (pretty rare if not SCOTUS) situation, I would think most firms would be open to negotiating standing for both compensation and seniority purposes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 7:43 pm

I'll be clerking for two years after graduation and then entering an NYC biglaw firm. I know there is a bonus for two-years of clerking, and I had always assumed I would come in at a third-year associate's salary, but now this exchange has me wondering if the salary-credit is limited to one year. Is there a resource to find out specific firm's policies, or is the only/best way here to ask directly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be clerking for two years after graduation and then entering an NYC biglaw firm. I know there is a bonus for two-years of clerking, and I had always assumed I would come in at a third-year associate's salary, but now this exchange has me wondering if the salary-credit is limited to one year. Is there a resource to find out specific firm's policies, or is the only/best way here to ask directly?

Different firms have different policies on this and I believe the more common policy is a single year's credit for a two year clerkship, so definitely ask if your understanding is otherwise.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”