To apply or not to apply

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

To apply or not to apply

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:48 pm

Background: 2L at T30, top third, LR-board, not published, moot court etc.

I interned with a fed judge last summer. I loved the experience, and she likes me as well. If I am going to do a clerkship, I would love to clerk for that judge. If not, then I’m just going to work and pay off my loans. I would have sent in my application to that judge, but since I am not a shoe-in for the position, I don’t know if I would put the judge in a weird position to reject me.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Anonymous User

Re: To apply or not to apply

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:27 pm

I almost feel like the advice here is so obvious that you already know what we're all going to say. I'm hoping this isn't a humble-brag about having a great personal connection that others lack as they apply for clerkships. But, assuming that you really want to know, here is my advice:

You have a decent but not spectacular resume and I'd guesstimate your chances at clerking at well under 50 percent if you applied nationwide and without utilizing the connection that you profess reluctance to contact or apply to. Now here's the bright side: you have a preexisting relationship with a federal judge. Definitely apply to him/her! That connection is invaluable and makes your application much, much more likely to be considered. That is almost certainly going to be your best shot at clerking. Alternatively, get in touch with him/her and see if he/she would be willing to recommend you for clerkships elsewhere. Even if he/she doesn't have a place for you, a personal phone call from a fellow federal judge will go a long way to getting your application moved to the top of another judge's pile of apps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:37 pm

OP here: Thanks for the response. I didn't not intend to brag and apologize if my post sounds like that.

I guess my point is: I rather having a strong relationship with the judge so I can ask for LORs instead of turn in my application, get rejected, and damage that relationship. But since I don't know if one is more worthy than the other, I figured I just asked TLS for advice.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm

I am sure it won't be the first time she dinged a former intern who she liked.

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:46 pm

Uhh yeah bro you need to apply for this. Why would it damage the relationship if you got rejected? Do you hold grudges or something?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Grazzhoppa wrote:Uhh yeah bro you need to apply for this. Why would it damage the relationship if you got rejected? Do you hold grudges or something?

I don't. Maybe I am just too worried.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Why not call up the judge and "ask for advice about clerkships"?

If she wants you as a clerk she'll probably just tell you that.

If she doesn't for any reason (including innocent reasons like having already hired for the year), she's a judge, she knows other judges, if she likes you enough she'll call them up for you.

If not, whatever. There are COA judges in my courthouse that I see and talk to almost every week and they rejected my applications before. It's not really awkward.

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grazzhoppa wrote:Uhh yeah bro you need to apply for this. Why would it damage the relationship if you got rejected? Do you hold grudges or something?

I don't. Maybe I am just too worried.

you are. just kool it you'll be fine. and apply.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks for asking this question - I'm in the same situation with the same nervousness about burning a bridge by applying and being rejected. Thanks also to those who replied.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for asking this question - I'm in the same situation with the same nervousness about burning a bridge by applying and being rejected. Thanks also to those who replied.

You're welcome. Never expected that there are two of us. Are you in my school range or better?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for asking this question - I'm in the same situation with the same nervousness about burning a bridge by applying and being rejected. Thanks also to those who replied.

You're welcome. Never expected that there are two of us. Are you in my school range or better?

HYS transfer, no clue what my rank is, but I have 4 P's/P equivalents so far.

edit: also didn't make LR, but got ME of a secondary, and completely unsure how that stacks up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 am

I think your chance is much better than mine, fwiw. If I were you, I wouldn't be too concerned about burning bridges.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm

I think this talk of "bridge burning" is weird. I don't see how the bridge is going to get burned unless you start behaving weird toward the judge afterward. Also, what's the nature of the interaction you expect to have with the judge going forward anyway? If it would've been very little anyway, then what would you lose even if the bridge did burn? And if you'd naturally interact significantly, then just go ahead and have that interaction anyway, don't act weird/resentful about not clerking for the judge, and I'm sure it will be fine.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”