Let's talk 9th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 9th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:55 am

Hurwitz is full through 2015. Schroeder hired one for 2014.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:55 pm

Surprisingly (to me), Thomas just updated his OSCAR posting to state that he has hired only two of four clerks for 2014-'15.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Surprisingly (to me), Thomas just updated his OSCAR posting to state that he has hired only two of four clerks for 2014-'15.
I saw that and was surprised as well. Anyone have info on this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:39 am

Call from Kleinfeld over the last couple of days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Surprisingly (to me), Thomas just updated his OSCAR posting to state that he has hired only two of four clerks for 2014-'15.
Will he hire outside of the t14? Anyone know anything about his hiring practices?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Will he hire outside of the t14? Anyone know anything about his hiring practices?
I believe Thomas has someone from Minnesota this term or next.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:44 pm

No one has commented on Callahan in this thread, although she was among the judges for whom the OP requested info, so I will provide some.

Without exception, Callahan requires a minimum of three years' work experience as of the clerk's start date, which can be a mix of prior clerkship and practice experience - or either/or. Since her pre-judicial background is mostly prosecutorial, she has a number of clerks and externs who are aspiring AUSAs or DDAs. Sincere interest in practicing criminal law will not hurt applicants in applying to her, but it is not required. Similarly, expressing an interest in remaining in the Sacramento area or Northern California more broadly will not hurt, but also is not required. The judge does not screen ideologically during the clerk selection process. The working atmosphere in chambers is somewhat formal but very collegial. Mandatory office hours for law clerks are M-F 8-5, but beyond that, the judge does not require law clerks to complete their work in chambers; working from home or elsewhere is permitted. (This is in contrast to some of her colleagues, who do require law clerks to remain in chambers much later into the night, or as long as the judge is present in chambers.) Internal deadlines are strictly observed, but as long as the law clerk follows them, the judge does not "micromanage" how her clerks complete their work. The judge is extremely interested in maintaining relationships with her former law clerks and continuing to follow their careers. She is very invested in the success of her former clerks, values serving as a mentor, and will assist with career transitions where possible (e.g., advice-giving, serving as a proactive reference, etc.) This is an excellent clerkship for alumni applicants who are seeking a Ninth Circuit clerkship in Northern California with an organized judge who meets deadlines, avoids backlogs, is well-prepared for oral argument, and provides clerks with a good deal of structure re: deadlines and expectations. It is also an excellent clerkship for those looking for a judge who will serve (if desired by the clerk) as mentor and advisor for the rest of the clerk's career.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No one has commented on Callahan in this thread, although she was among the judges for whom the OP requested info, so I will provide some.

Without exception, Callahan requires a minimum of three years' work experience as of the clerk's start date, which can be a mix of prior clerkship and practice experience - or either/or. Since her pre-judicial background is mostly prosecutorial, she has a number of clerks and externs who are aspiring AUSAs or DDAs. Sincere interest in practicing criminal law will not hurt applicants in applying to her, but it is not required. Similarly, expressing an interest in remaining in the Sacramento area or Northern California more broadly will not hurt, but also is not required. The judge does not screen ideologically during the clerk selection process. The working atmosphere in chambers is somewhat formal but very collegial. Mandatory office hours for law clerks are M-F 8-5, but beyond that, the judge does not require law clerks to complete their work in chambers; working from home or elsewhere is permitted. (This is in contrast to some of her colleagues, who do require law clerks to remain in chambers much later into the night, or as long as the judge is present in chambers.) Internal deadlines are strictly observed, but as long as the law clerk follows them, the judge does not "micromanage" how her clerks complete their work. The judge is extremely interested in maintaining relationships with her former law clerks and continuing to follow their careers. She is very invested in the success of her former clerks, values serving as a mentor, and will assist with career transitions where possible (e.g., advice-giving, serving as a proactive reference, etc.) This is an excellent clerkship for alumni applicants who are seeking a Ninth Circuit clerkship in Northern California with an organized judge who meets deadlines, avoids backlogs, is well-prepared for oral argument, and provides clerks with a good deal of structure re: deadlines and expectations. It is also an excellent clerkship for those looking for a judge who will serve (if desired by the clerk) as mentor and advisor for the rest of the clerk's career.
Can this anon please pm me? I have a few questions.

asquonk

New

Post by asquonk » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:38 pm

It's quite amazing to me that people on this board describe Judge Bybee's involvement in the torture memos as a "political", rather than an "ethical", issue, to attack those who criticize him. I suppose they have been too busy distinguishing the hell out of everything in sight to be able to see what is obvious to most everybody in the Western world, except for you.

Yeah, okay, I'm sure it is possible to find a strict interpretation of ethical rules that lets him off. But then, you should say that "according to the rules of legal ethics, Judge Bybee did nothing wrong." It doesn't sound so good any more, does it? Because you are pretending that avoiding a violation of legal ethics rules is the same as morals by using the word "ethics" interchangeably to refer to both.

Which it isn't. And you should know it.

Would Justice Jackson have agreed with you? Or Powell? I don't think so. They're not liberal heroes. They have more morals than you.

I'd like to waterboard you all and then see whether you still think the issue is political or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 pm

asquonk wrote:It's quite amazing to me that people on this board describe Judge Bybee's involvement in the torture memos as a "political", rather than an "ethical", issue, to attack those who criticize him. I suppose they have been too busy distinguishing the hell out of everything in sight to be able to see what is obvious to most everybody in the Western world, except for you.

Yeah, okay, I'm sure it is possible to find a strict interpretation of ethical rules that lets him off. But then, you should say that "according to the rules of legal ethics, Judge Bybee did nothing wrong." It doesn't sound so good any more, does it? Because you are pretending that avoiding a violation of legal ethics rules is the same as morals by using the word "ethics" interchangeably to refer to both.

Which it isn't. And you should know it.

Would Justice Jackson have agreed with you? Or Powell? I don't think so. They're not liberal heroes. They have more morals than you.

I'd like to waterboard you all and then see whether you still think the issue is political or not.
Weird necro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:57 am

Anyone know when Nguyen will start taking applications again?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”