Judges who are hiring RIGHT NOW for 2013-14 term: question

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Judges who are hiring RIGHT NOW for 2013-14 term: question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Hello, I have a question about judges who are hiring right now, so late, for the 2013-14 term. I'm glad because I am desperately trying to apply for those positions (long story), but I was wondering why that is, and if there is anything I should be aware of about these judges?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Judges who are hiring RIGHT NOW for 2013-14 term: question

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:55 pm

I don't think there are any generalizations that can be made. Sometimes it's judges who have been newly appointed. Sometimes a clerk bails when they get something else. Some judges might just hire on a different schedule. Very occasionally I suppose a clerk could have been fired (to be clear, the only instances I know of a clerk getting fired involved pretty egregious incompetence - it's way more trouble to fire someone than to just wait out a year). So I don't think you can assume that there's something bad about the situation just because the position's being advertised now.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:01 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think there are any generalizations that can be made. Sometimes it's judges who have been newly appointed. Sometimes a clerk bails when they get something else. Some judges might just hire on a different schedule. Very occasionally I suppose a clerk could have been fired (to be clear, the only instances I know of a clerk getting fired involved pretty egregious incompetence - it's way more trouble to fire someone than to just wait out a year). So I don't think you can assume that there's something bad about the situation just because the position's being advertised now.

In addition to these reasons, a lot of older judges sometimes decide to defer hiring until later if they are considering retiring or taking on reduced workloads.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:23 pm

The answer is no. There are judges (I can think of one very highly regarded one) who prefer to hire this late in the cycle. Often positions open up when a prospective clerk has to withdraw for whatever reason. The idea that the judge could have fired a clerk before the clerk started work seems highly unrealistic and I could only imagine it ever occurring in the most extreme cases (e.g., criminal conduct; material misrepresentations in application).

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”