New Plan Date: June 28th Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: New Plan Date: June 28th

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:27 am

Interesting. Definitely a better change than the "we'll push it back 2 weeks" thing. I doubt it will convince anyone not currently following the plan to adopt it, though (since so many of them will have hired by June 28).

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:41 am

Woah, and a 100-judge limit per applicant? Also interesting. I definitely know people who went above 100 applications last year.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:43 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Woah, and a 100-judge limit per applicant? Also interesting. I definitely know people who went above 100 applications last year.
Yeah, I think people will just not apply through OSCAR, and send paper apps.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 am

Agreed. I'm sure it will have a meaningful effect on the number of overall applications, though. Printing, packing, and shipping hundreds of applications is going to be a pain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Yeah, although because it's rolling, and because when you withdraw an application your slot opens up again, and because hiring is so all over the place, time-wise, I'm not sure people will send out that many fewer apps - they'll just add more as they get rejected, that kind of thing. (Which goes against what I just said about more paper apps! Oh well. Who knows what will happen.)

(I did paper apps, but I don't think I made it up to triple digits. So it's a pain, but doable.)

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Woah, and a 100-judge limit per applicant? Also interesting. I definitely know people who went above 100 applications last year.
The 100 limit is an ACTIVE limit, not a total limit. That means you can only have 100 applications active at any one time. If you withdraw an application or a judge marks a position as filled, that opens up a new spot. It's not a very meaningful limit.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Ohhhhh, OK. Nevermind. :oops:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:42 pm

How are people planning on asking for time off work as an SA to do interviews? Any thoughts on this? I wasn't planning on telling my firm that I plan on pursuing a clerkship unless I was asked directly or got an offer...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are people planning on asking for time off work as an SA to do interviews? Any thoughts on this? I wasn't planning on telling my firm that I plan on pursuing a clerkship unless I was asked directly or got an offer...
And on that note, will judges schedule interviews when they know we're busy with our SA's? Or will they wait until August or September anyway?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:50 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are people planning on asking for time off work as an SA to do interviews? Any thoughts on this? I wasn't planning on telling my firm that I plan on pursuing a clerkship unless I was asked directly or got an offer...
And on that note, will judges schedule interviews when they know we're busy with our SA's? Or will they wait until August or September anyway?
Will vary by the judge, but I don't think they're going to worry about your SA schedule - keep in mind a lot of firms see clerking as a good thing. But I highly doubt judges are going to wait till August or September now that the plan has changed. Those following the plan interviewed in September because that was the first date they could interview, not because it doesn't conflict with anything else over the summer, and those not following the plan interviewed in the middle of SAs all the time.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Your firm is willing to pay you a 50k bonus to go clerk for a year, I suspect they'll be okay with you taking off days as an SA to interview for clerkships.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”