Gap year between clerkships?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Gap year between clerkships?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 am

Hey all,

I was lucky enough to receive a District Court clerkship (non-EDNY/SDNY/etc., but for a great judge in a great location) for 2013-2014. Recently, following an interview for a Circuit position, I did not receive an offer but was told that I would likely be re-interviewed for the following year...which is as good of a sign as I could expect. Thanks to the death of the hiring plan, she will be interviewing for that position around August.

Here's the thing: I imagine that this situation is not uncommon. But assuming that you have two clerkships with a year's gap separating them, what on earth do you do during that year? I have no law-firm job--due to the exigencies of my school's LRAP, I pretty much need to stay in public service for a while--but I can't imagine that anybody would be looking to hire someone knowing full well that she will flee after one year. There are always fellowships, I guess, but those are super competitive and certainly not a guarantee, and would doubtless hire after I have already accepted the gap-year commitment.

Any thoughts on whether this is doable?

Citizen Genet

Re: Gap year between clerkships?

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:46 am

An identically named thread came up earlier.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=205227

Summary: Crickets.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:58 am

Have you thought about another clerkship? Perhaps a state one to fill the gap?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 am

What about asking your D.Ct. judge if he/she would consider having you on for two years? Many district court judge have two-year positions. Maybe your judge would like the idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:31 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:An identically named thread came up earlier.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=205227

Whoah. Great minds!

Re. doing two years: I've already asked and it isn't a possibility. Here's my problem: I have worked for a few years in a non-practice position (which I started after law-school graduation). I have some lingering worries that if I spend three years in the judiciary, employers will look at me and go "wait, why did you take six years to get into practice?"

It sounds like there's no good answer to this.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:An identically named thread came up earlier.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=205227

Whoah. Great minds!

Re. doing two years: I've already asked and it isn't a possibility. Here's my problem: I have worked for a few years in a non-practice position (which I started after law-school graduation). I have some lingering worries that if I spend three years in the judiciary, employers will look at me and go "wait, why did you take six years to get into practice?"

It sounds like there's no good answer to this.

Well then, can you practice? Just apply to jobs normally as though you didn't have the CoA clerkship, work there for a year, then quit and move on to the clerkship. Lots of people take a year off to clerk, that's exactly what you would be doing.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:02 pm

I almost posted this a few times but never did, but still, I think it's something you should think about: your judge(s) probably have connections somewhere, and if you ask them, they might be willing to look into what they could hook you up with for that year.

I had a gap year between graduation and clerkship, moved to my clerkship city months before it was actually supposed to start. My judge offered to make some calls, and got me something to do in the meantime.

I also had one interview/callback with a firm that knew (because I specifically informed them in my application) that I would be clerking in a year. Never heard back from them after the callback, but they did pay for it and everything so I assume they were at least considering it.
Last edited by lolwat on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Bumping this thread. Anyone successfully fill a gap year by going to a firm that you'd never worked at before? What job-hunt strategies did you use? Thanks.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”