COA judges that require prior clerkship experience

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

COA judges that require prior clerkship experience

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Anyone know which Judges require prior experience? Any in which it would be considered a bad thing? Thanks!

Tangerine Gleam

Re: COA judges that require prior clerkship experience

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Good topic. This is the sort of thing that could use some aggregation/discussion. I'll throw out a few data points:

Katzmann (2d Cir.) strongly prefers (and maybe requires, I'm not sure) a district court clerkship. He often takes clerks from Jed Rakoff.

Tatel (D.C. Cir.) seems to prefer district court clerks, too, but not sure if it's a requirement.

Nguyen (9th Cir.), according to OSCAR, prefers some sort of legal work experience, whether clerkship or otherwise.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Good topic. This is the sort of thing that could use some aggregation/discussion. I'll throw out a few data points:

Katzmann (2d Cir.) strongly prefers (and maybe requires, I'm not sure) a district court clerkship. He often takes clerks from Jed Rakoff.

Tatel (D.C. Cir.) seems to prefer district court clerks, too, but not sure if it's a requirement.

Nguyen (9th Cir.), according to OSCAR, prefers some sort of legal work experience, whether clerkship or otherwise.

Fisher (9th Cir.) strongly prefers clerks who have a district court experience, or else some other legal work experience.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:54 am

McKeown (9th) and Tallman (9th) both prefer clerks with prior experience, and I think McKeown specifically wants former district court clerks. I also know Nguyen will sometimes hire clerks without prior experience (e.g. one of her incoming clerks is a c/o 2013 grad).

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”