Updating Application Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Updating Application

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Dumb question I am sure. However, I was wondering how to update your application? I am mailing applications (I am a rising 3L) tomorrow. I want to update all pending applications (everyone to whom I applied that has not rejected me) with my second semester of grades in June. How do I do that? Do I just send in another envelope with my new updated transcript and a cover letter explaining? Do I include all my materials in the same envelope again just in case? Or is there a different method that I'm just not mentioning?

TIA

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Updating Application

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dumb question I am sure. However, I was wondering how to update your application? I am mailing applications (I am a rising 3L) tomorrow. I want to update all pending applications (everyone to whom I applied that has not rejected me) with my second semester of grades in June. How do I do that? Do I just send in another envelope with my new updated transcript and a cover letter explaining? Do I include all my materials in the same envelope again just in case? Or is there a different method that I'm just not mentioning?

TIA
You can just mail the transcript with a cover letter explaining you're supplementing your application with an updated transcript. You don't have to re-include all your stuff - the chambers will still have it.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:35 am

The above response is credited. I had a couple resume updates last fall and I just sent in a brief cover letter with an updated resume enclosed. I would make the letter as brief as possible. Just reference when you applied, that you have an update, and that a copy of a fresh transcript is enclosed.

If/when you get an interview I would be sure to tell the judge at the beginning that you had an update in case the updated transcript doesn't makes its way to your file for some reason (highly unlikely but you never know). And have copies of an updated transcript.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but do I include the cover letter, updated resume, and updated transcripts in a big old manilla envelope again?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but do I include the cover letter, updated resume, and updated transcripts in a big old manilla envelope again?
If it's just the updated transcript and resume (and assuming your resume is a page), you can send it with a brief brief brief cover letter in an regular envelope. (At least, transcripts at my school are only a page, so if it's like 5 pages of thick stock paper, maybe manila envelope. But if it's ordinary paper (unofficial transcript) that's not necessary). If the only thing that's different on the resume is your GPA/rank and you're sending the transcript, I'm not even sure an updated resume is necessary, but I guess that's up to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 11:53 am

Can you send updates via email or should it be paper hardcopies?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 24, 2013 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can you send updates via email or should it be paper hardcopies?
I would send it whichever way you sent the original, honestly. I'm sure you could send an e-mail update to a hard copy application, but I think it looks slightly better not to make chambers have to print it out to put it in your file. (Of course, if the original application was electronic, then isn't really a concern.) But I doubt this will make or break anyone, and it's also just my gut reaction (I've never been the person to whom electronic stuff was sent for applications, so not sure what the protocol is).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 27, 2013 11:19 am

As a current clerk awaiting the deluge -- I'd say if you sent it in as a paper application, just mail, as earlier posts said, a short cover letter noting that you sent in an application already and are just updating your transcript (and resume, if necessary). We have a stack of applications sitting at our JA's desk waiting for us to turn to them (my judge, in CDCA, is staying on plan and is in no rush right now), and that's where it will go.

If you have electronic apps, assuming the new OSCAR doesn't have a way for you to just email it automatically, just send chambers an email or call and ask how they prefer any updated information to come.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”