Law Clerk Salary

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Law Clerk Salary

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:46 pm

Can anyone speak to the pay scale of clerks? (I'm interesting particularly in federal clerk salaries, but this thread should be broad enough to discuss state clerk salaries as well). What cities get cost of living adjustments, and how much do they receive? How much take home pay is after taxes, etc.?

Citizen Genet

Re: Law Clerk Salary

Postby Citizen Genet » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:49 pm

http://www.uscourts.gov/Careers/Compens ... Rates.aspx

Federal clerk salaries with COL adjustment tables.

EDIT: And for state salaries, check with the Vermont LS State Judicial Clerkship Guide online. http://www.vermontlaw.edu/Resources/Jud ... ources.htm (Check with your OCS for login info. I don't feel comfortable posting it here.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:http://www.uscourts.gov/Careers/Compensation/JudiciarySalaryPlanPayRates.aspx

EDIT: And for state salaries, check with the Vermont LS State Judicial Clerkship Guide online. http://www.vermontlaw.edu/Resources/Jud ... ources.htm (Check with your OCS for login info. I don't feel comfortable posting it here.)

Is this accurate and up to date?:

JSP Grade Level - Years of Legal Work Experience - Bar Membership Required
11 - 0 - No
12 - 1 - Yes
13 - 2 - Yes
14 - 3 - Yes

So clerks going straight from school start at JSP 11?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:http://www.uscourts.gov/Careers/Compensation/JudiciarySalaryPlanPayRates.aspx

Is this accurate and up to date?:

JSP Grade Level - Years of Legal Work Experience - Bar Membership Required
11 - 0 - No
12 - 1 - Yes
13 - 2 - Yes
14 - 3 - Yes

So clerks going straight from school start at JSP 11?

Yes.

State stuff varies a lot. My state (neither coast) paid about $56K for appellate clerks. But I've seen salaries as low as ~$40K (low COL states, but still).

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Just to confirm, nobody makes the Base Pay Table amount, right? The lowest you can make is the Rest of the United States table?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 pm

nevdash wrote:Just to confirm, nobody makes the Base Pay Table amount, right? The lowest you can make is the Rest of the United States table?

Yup. (Howdy from the rest of the United States...)

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
nevdash wrote:Just to confirm, nobody makes the Base Pay Table amount, right? The lowest you can make is the Rest of the United States table?

Flyover clerks represent.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:52 pm

nevdash wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:52 pm

nevdash wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

More like "best of the United States," amirite?

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Agh, too used to using anonymous in this forum ^^ that was me.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nevdash wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

More like "best of the United States," amirite?

At least in terms of living on a federal salary!

(My flyover state is pretty awesome, actually.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Sorry, would someone mind clarifying how exactly to interpret this chart for those of us who are a bit slower on the uptake? I will be Art. III clerk with one year of legal experience, in NYC (in 2014-15).

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry, would someone mind clarifying how exactly to interpret this chart for those of us who are a bit slower on the uptake? I will be Art. III clerk with one year of legal experience, in NYC (in 2014-15).

$77.5k for you i think. Go to the one that includes NY and look for JSP-12 because you have 1 year of experience (plus, I assume, bar membership somewhere).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:07 pm

lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry, would someone mind clarifying how exactly to interpret this chart for those of us who are a bit slower on the uptake? I will be Art. III clerk with one year of legal experience, in NYC (in 2014-15).

$77.5k for you i think. Go to the one that includes NY and look for JSP-12 because you have 1 year of experience (plus, I assume, bar membership somewhere).

Holy smokes. Okay. Thanks so much.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Quick add on about confusing parts - don't worry about the steps (the numbers across the top of the chart). I think (though am not sure) that they govern your raises within a particular grade (the 11 or 12 part). But I'm pretty sure they don't apply to term clerks, who are all paid at step 1 of their relevant grade. So it's the grade (11, 12, etc.) and the first column of the chart.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:35 pm

If you come in with 51 weeks of experience due to timing of 2 clerkships, will you start the 2d at JSP-11 and get a bump to JS-12 after a week? Can you get an appointment at JSP-11 at a higher step to get you closer? The real question I am trying to ask is whether pay is frozen at the moment, like it was a couple of years ago.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you come in with 51 weeks of experience due to timing of 2 clerkships, will you start the 2d at JSP-11 and get a bump to JS-12 after a week? Can you get an appointment at JSP-11 at a higher step to get you closer? The real question I am trying to ask is whether pay is frozen at the moment, like it was a couple of years ago.

I came in to my second clerkship with 50 weeks experience, and was paid at JSP-11 for 2 weeks and then switched to JSP-12. You have to get your judge to sign off on this. You can't get hired at a higher step (law clerks, at least; I have no idea how this works for other federal employees). So, no pay wasn't frozen in my district. I don't know, however, if that varies by district; it's also possible it varies by judge (I think I remember, when this subject came up before, someone talking about a judge who hired only at JSP-11 and would not bump for experience, but that judge made it crystal clear in their job posting that this was the case, and it seemed quite unusual).

Really, the most helpful thing to will be to find the HR person for your district/circuit and ask them - they will be happy to help you, they deal with this every year.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:00 am

I got a bump to JSP 12 about a month ago (I had some experience prior to clerkship, but not 51 weeks). So pay wasn't frozen here either.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”