Checking on application

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Checking on application

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:17 am

I applied to a number of COA judges before my letters of recommendation were all complete. The last of my recommenders has now sent out his letters, so my applications should now be complete. Is it a good idea/reasonable/something that is done to check in with the chambers I applied to and confirm that my application is now complete? If so, what is the best way of doing so--email, phone call to chambers?

Citizen Genet

Re: Checking on application

Postby Citizen Genet » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

General advice is don't do it. Caveated advice is some chambers are okay with you checking and it might even help your application get looked at ("Well, if they took the time to call, they must be serious..."), but for the vast majority of chambers its just an annoyance.

Anonymous User

Re: Checking on application

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 pm

As a current clerk I'll second the general advice. At least in our chambers applications are filed away until the judge wants to review them, and one of the law clerks would have to spend time looking for your application to confirm or deny whether it is complete. If the judge is really interested in you and your application is missing something, chambers likely would let you know.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”