SDNY/EDNY 2014

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

SDNY/EDNY 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi folks,

Thought I'd make a thread for the NYC people who are applying to clerkships in these districts in 2014. Anyone know which judges are hiring and if so, 2Ls or alums? Also, anyone heard anything particularly good or bad about clerkships with certain judges in these two districts.

Anonymous User

Re: SDNY/EDNY 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Bump. Any ideas?

Edit, my profile:
- School: Lower T14
- Year: 2L
- Journal: Secondary, no e-board
- Published: Yes
- Recs: One excellent, one great, one okay. Probably a few phone calls if I play my cards right, although probably from profs who don't know the judges well.
- Ties to NY: Yes

- Boogiekid

WhatWouldHolmesDo?

Postby WhatWouldHolmesDo? » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Any ideas?

Edit, my profile:
- School: Lower T14
- Year: 2L
- Journal: Secondary, no e-board
- Published: Yes
- Recs: One excellent, one great, one okay. Probably a few phone calls if I play my cards right, although probably from profs who don't know the judges well.
- Ties to NY: Yes

- Boogiekid

Not a lock, but a strong shot. SDNY more likely than EDNY as EDNY judges tend to prefer alums. Apply to everyone and use your calls to focus on judges who have multiple spots and who have hired from your school in the past. If you are open to clerking a year out, make that clear in the cover letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:40 am

I applied last fall on plan (as a 3L) through Oscar, and the bulk of my applications went to SDNY and EDNY (applied to every SDNY and EDNY judge accepting applications on Oscar then to assorted COA clerkships). Mid t14, probably top 5% in my class, l rev (no board), published, good letter recs. I did not get one single call for an interview from SDNY or EDNY. I think they get so many applications on plan that there's no way they can look at them all, so calls from professors or connections are probably important to get your application moved to the top of the pile (though probably not enough to guarantee an interview or offer). Since the plan is fading out now, though, this may give individual students a better shot depending on when they apply (also note that specific SDNY judges are known to wait until spring to hire once the plan craziness is over). I ended up with several COA interviews and a 2/9/DC clerkship from my on plan applications, so it definitely felt like a bit of a crapshoot. I think just because NYC is so desired/competitive, it's a good idea to figure out which professors and attorneys at your summer job have relevant connections and might be able to make a call or put in a good word for you. Some people probably have different experiences than me, but HTH!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:44 pm

Thank you both for your insights, very helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:06 pm

I get the sense that for 3Ls, EDNY is just as competitive than SDNY if not more so. There are fewer judges to begin with on the EDNY, and many of them hire alumni exclusively. The ones that do take 3Ls often only take 1 or 2 max per year. There also seems to be a lot more diversity of school/experience than in the SDNY. For example, the top 5-10 students at BLS seem to have a much better shot with certain EDNY judges than otherwise strong applicants from the T14. Also, the 8 or so Central Islip judges seem perfectly content hiring only St. Johns and Hofstra students, which isn't true of the White Plains judges in SDNY.

My school had a handout that broke down median, 25% and 75% GPA for each district. I think the EDNY had slightly higher averages than the SDNY even when you include alumni, which seems weird.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:07 am

Bianco takes 3 clerks per year (no judicial assistant). Hires 1--2 years out, typically.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bianco takes 3 clerks per year (no judicial assistant). Hires 1--2 years out, typically.

I've heard terrific things about him. One of his spots almost always goes to the valedictorian at Touro.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”