Morbid Question

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Morbid Question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:47 pm

For a federal judge, if the judge were to (god forbid) pass away or become incapacitated before the clerkship were to begin what would happen? Forgive the morbid question, but it is something that I wonder about.

Anonymous User

Re: Morbid Question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Depends. Sometimes there is an effort to place the future clerk with another judge on the court (or the deceased judge's replacement), sometimes that's not possible.

It happens pretty regularly. I actually know of someone who got double whammied -- his judge died before the clerkship and they couldn't find somewhere else for him, plus he summered at Dewey/Howrey the summer before the firm went belly up.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually know of someone who got double whammied -- his judge died before the clerkship and they couldn't find somewhere else for him, plus he summered at Dewey/Howrey the summer before the firm went belly up.

:shock:

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:49 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I actually know of someone who got double whammied -- his judge died before the clerkship and they couldn't find somewhere else for him, plus he summered at Dewey/Howrey the summer before the firm went belly up.

:shock:

Tell this guy never to go skydiving.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:24 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:13 am

If you have an open firm or the understanding that you will return, would you be able to start at your firm earlier?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”