Clerkships, IBR and public service component

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Shaggier1

Clerkships, IBR and public service component

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Question for anyone who might know offhand: do clerkships satisfy the public service component of the IBR public service loan forgiveness program? That is, if I were to clerk for two years, then go into government for eight years, would my loans be forgiven since I spent ten years total in public service? Or do clerkships not count as public service?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkships, IBR and public service component

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Yes, as far as I know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:34 pm

yep. they may not qualify for your individual school's LRAP program (mine didn't), but they do count towards the 10 years for federal forgiveness purposes as far as the government is concerned

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:33 am

Yes, this is exactly what I'm doing. (Also, it doesn't have to be 120 consecutive payments, it just has to be 120 payments total; so as long as you get into IBR at the beginning, if you get a private sector job in there for some period of time, your payments will count again if you go back into public service.)

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:50 am

Also, it doesn't have to be 120 consecutive payments, it just has to be 120 payments total; so as long as you get into IBR at the beginning, if you get a private sector job in there for some period of time, your payments will count again if you go back into public service.

Whoa - I have no idea. Are you sure about that? That would be amazing...

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:18 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
Also, it doesn't have to be 120 consecutive payments, it just has to be 120 payments total; so as long as you get into IBR at the beginning, if you get a private sector job in there for some period of time, your payments will count again if you go back into public service.

It is true. Transitioning back to IBR can be really hard. Remember that what you pay in IBR is linked to what you made the previous year. That means going from a high-paying firm to low-paying government gig makes for a really difficult transition year. Even if you manage to qualify for IBR (which will be tough) your payments will be based off the salary from the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:23 am

Citizen Genet wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:

It is true. Transitioning back to IBR can be really hard. Remember that what you pay in IBR is linked to what you made the previous year. That means going from a high-paying firm to low-paying government gig makes for a really difficult transition year. Even if you manage to qualify for IBR (which will be tough) your payments will be based off the salary from the firm.

Not really: http://loanconsolidation.ed.gov/forms/adoi.pdf

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”