Thoughts on "liberal" writing sample for conservative judges

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Thoughts on "liberal" writing sample for conservative judges

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:58 pm

Thoughts? Stories? Relevant information?

Haymarket

Re: Thoughts on "liberal" writing sample for conservative judges

Postby Haymarket » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:02 pm

How liberal are we talking here? Liberal like easier Rule 23 class certification or liberal like a substantive due process right to assisted suicide?

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:38 am

It must depend in part on the nature of the judge and his attitude toward hiring clerks of a different political persuasion. For example, Judge Kavanaugh, though a noted conservative, has in recent years hired a number of liberal clerks. On the other hand, one hears through the grapevine that Justice Alito hires almost exclusively people who are clear political conservatives. So a liberal writing sample, if it displays high quality thinking and writing, might not bother the former at all, but could knock you out of contention for the latter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Anyone know of a judge where this would actually be a plus?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:56 pm

You know, overall, I think the quality of legal analysis is much more important than politics. I have been sort of impressed at how little politics generally has to do with clerking (which is good, because I am DEFINITELY a minority of one in my chambers, politicall). But I can't say for certain how this would play out in an overtly political application/writing sample (and I suspect it's more of an issue the higher up the food chain you get, as Gertrude Perkins's post sort of suggests. I think most district court judges just want not to be overturned, not to make some kind of political statement).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:24 am

GertrudePerkins wrote:On the other hand, one hears through the grapevine that Justice Alito hires almost exclusively people who are clear political conservatives.

I have never heard this. Not saying I disagree, but I just haven't heard much about Justice Alito's clerks. Does anyone else have any information or thoughts on this?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”