Post Interview Timeline Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Post Interview Timeline

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Is there any level of predictability for the timing of hearing from a judge after an interview? Specifically, I'm in the lucky situation of having two interviews lined up 10 days apart. Obviously, this could create some uncertainties as far as buying plane tickets, withdrawing myself from consideration, etc.

So, does anyone have any sense of how long it takes to hear from a judge after an interview that could maybe help this situation? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Post Interview Timeline

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:57 pm

In my experience, "yes" responses came fairly quickly. If the first interview goes well, it is very possible (if not likely) that you will hear within ten days.

That said, clerkship interviews are a crapshoot. I say definitely buy both plane tickets, and if you have to cancel the second one and take a $150 hit (or whatever the change/cancellation fee is), so be it. It would be a good problem to have, provided you like the first judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In my experience, "yes" responses came fairly quickly. If the first interview goes well, it is very possible (if not likely) that you will hear within ten days.

That said, clerkship interviews are a crapshoot. I say definitely buy both plane tickets, and if you have to cancel the second one and take a $150 hit (or whatever the change/cancellation fee is), so be it. It would be a good problem to have, provided you like the first judge.
OP here.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it makes a difference, but the later judge is, I guess, more "prestigious"/a feeder. But I would love a clerkship with either of these judges who are both perfect for me. So I guess I should just go for both and take anything that comes first. Bird in the hand and all that....

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Another possibility: you can be up-front with Judge 1 that you have another interview with Judge 2. Judge 1 might let you still do it, if you're already bought tickets and all. But this could also backfire...if Judge 1 perceives Judge 2 to be more "prestigious," then maybe they'll make you an offer sooner, for fear of losing out.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:36 pm

For a datapoint: clerkship offer came exactly 10 days after interview.

Overall: Total crapshoot depending on the judge/chambers/their docket/etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”