Addressing a nominee

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Addressing a nominee

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Interviewing with a nominee this week. I assume that I call him/her "Mr./Ms. Lastname" unless/until s/he says "no, call me John/Jane," right?

Anonymous User

Re: Addressing a nominee

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewing with a nominee this week. I assume that I call him/her "Mr./Ms. Lastname" unless/until s/he says "no, call me John/Jane," right?

Yes, Mr./Mrs. Lastname unless/until you are told otherwise.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:49 pm

OP: would you consider PM'ing me? There is a nominee that I would really like to apply to, but I have a few questions about how this works. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Shaggier1 --

I'm the OP. I'm not sure that I really have any unique advice. I just emailed the nominee my resume (along with the other nominees in my home market) and then got a call from his/her office a couple of months later asking for a few additional materials. My only other advice is that if you are a current or former clerk, you should see if your first judge will let you copy him or her on the email. Oh, and most nominees will only hire people with clerkship experience for the first few years for (hopefully) obvious reasons.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks for the response! Did you modify your cover letter in any significant way?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 am

I am curious how you addressed the fact that they are still a nominee? Was the cover letter the same as that for a presently serving judge?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:20 am

OP.

I didn't even send a cover letter. I literally just sent my resume with a cover email that said something along the lines of "I saw you were nominated, if you are hiring clerks here's my resume."

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”