Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Elrod and Jones are both interviewing (or will be in the next few weeks).

Don't have info on any others.


Owen is also interviewing.


Higginbotham is also interviewing.



Prado is also currently interviewing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:41 am

Does anyone happen to know the hiring practices of the Texas judges (Elrod, Smith, Jones, Prado, Owen, Higginbotham) who are interviewing now? On the spot offers? Exploding offers? Tough, substantive interviews? Anyone with knowledge or who might be willing to dip into their school's clerkship database for some info (my school's sucks) would be really appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Smith's interviews are notoriously tough (substantively and length-wise, not demeanor-wise -- he is reportedly very nice and I imagine his clerks are too). I'm told Jones is a substantially less tough interview but can't say that with any real authority. No idea on others.

Smith doesn't give exploding offers from what I've heard. Don't know abt the others.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:51 pm

King is done for 2015, per a call to her chambers in an attempt to parlay an interview with another judge into one with her.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:37 pm

Prado's interview was more about fit than substance. Very casual conversation. You will get the questions you would expect - why do you want to clerk, why should we pick you, etc. His judicial assistant is exceptionally friendly and easy to talk to, and the current clerks were super nice and helpful as well. Truly seems like a fantastic judge to work for. Also no clue as to how many positions he has left, but I do know he's made one offer already. (Not me, someone else at my school).

Hope this helps someone - I got the feeling he had a few more interviews this week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:26 pm

Can anyone confirm a Prado clerkship offer other than one that was awarded three weeks ago? In other words, anyone know of an offer since then?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:41 pm

Anyone know which of the Texas judges who were interviewing have hired or are full?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone happen to know the hiring practices of the Texas judges (Elrod, Smith, Jones, Prado, Owen, Higginbotham) who are interviewing now? On the spot offers? Exploding offers? Tough, substantive interviews? Anyone with knowledge or who might be willing to dip into their school's clerkship database for some info (my school's sucks) would be really appreciated.


I've *never* heard of any Texas CoA judge giving an on-the-spot offer (or even a Texas Supreme Court judge, for that matter). Exploding offers, however, aren't uncommon. As for tough, substantive interviews, you really shouldn't even be ASKING that question: they're the norm, not the (highly unusual) exception to it, and this is the Fifth Circuit, not the Ninth. Still, like someone else already noted, judges are just as concerned about "fit" as they are academic credentials. To clarify further, by "fit" you shouldn't assume they're looking for a Mini-Me. Some of them absolutely look for yangs to their yin - you just need to do your homework beforehand to figure out what they like. I know at least one federal judge, one of the single nicest people I've ever met, who exclusively hires hard-asses who can do the dirty work he'd prefer to avoid. (I speak from personal experience here, since I was one of the hard-asses he hired. And by "hard-ass" I do not mean "jackass" or "asshole"; I mean telling-it-straight, ZERO-bullshit types who'd sooner quit their job than do any kind of degrading ass-kissing.)

As for schools: this being Texas we're talking about, a top-level UT candidate (by that I mainly mean Chancellors, the top-10 ranked students in each class, but solid LR cred does the trick, too) has about the same chance as someone from HYS, pretty much across the board (and since they get far more UT candidates than HYS ones, a big chunk of their clerks are Longhorns). New Orleans is more open, though. Still, I wouldn't even bother applying (in either case) if you're coming from outside UT/HYS unless you're T25 and top 5% at minimum (and if you somehow land an interview, you should know the judge's philosophies and better-known cases by heart before you walk in the door).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone happen to know the hiring practices of the Texas judges (Elrod, Smith, Jones, Prado, Owen, Higginbotham) who are interviewing now? On the spot offers? Exploding offers? Tough, substantive interviews? Anyone with knowledge or who might be willing to dip into their school's clerkship database for some info (my school's sucks) would be really appreciated.


I've *never* heard of any Texas CoA judge giving an on-the-spot offer (or even a Texas Supreme Court judge, for that matter). Exploding offers, however, aren't uncommon. As for tough, substantive interviews, you really shouldn't even be ASKING that question: they're the norm, not the (highly unusual) exception to it, and this is the Fifth Circuit, not the Ninth. Still, like someone else already noted, judges are just as concerned about "fit" as they are academic credentials. To clarify further, by "fit" you shouldn't assume they're looking for a Mini-Me. Some of them absolutely look for yangs to their yin - you just need to do your homework beforehand to figure out what they like. I know at least one federal judge, one of the single nicest people I've ever met, who exclusively hires hard-asses who can do the dirty work he'd prefer to avoid. (I speak from personal experience here, since I was one of the hard-asses he hired. And by "hard-ass" I do not mean "jackass" or "asshole"; I mean telling-it-straight, ZERO-bullshit types who'd sooner quit their job than do any kind of degrading ass-kissing.)

As for schools: this being Texas we're talking about, a top-level UT candidate (by that I mainly mean Chancellors, the top-10 ranked students in each class, but solid LR cred does the trick, too) has about the same chance as someone from HYS, pretty much across the board (and since they get far more UT candidates than HYS ones, a big chunk of their clerks are Longhorns). New Orleans is more open, though. Still, I wouldn't even bother applying (in either case) if you're coming from outside UT/HYS unless you're T25 and top 5% at minimum (and if you somehow land an interview, you should know the judge's philosophies and better-known cases by heart before you walk in the door).


Some of this is just incorrect. I personally know people who have received on the spot offers from three of the Houston judges (though not exploding spot offers, so I guess if that's what the poster meant it's right). And I also know people who were non-top 5% at non-HYS non-UT schools who got jobs with good judges on the 5th.

That said all the stuff about prepping hard for interviews is right, but don't refrain from applying just bc you aren't at HYS.

EDIT: Also jeez some of the judges' interviews aren't nearly as tough as this poster is making them out to be. E.g. I've heard of Jones giving an offer after a 45 minute phone conversation that was basically a pure fit interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:59 am

I've heard Jones can be a bit of a terror with other judges. Anyone have a sense of how she is with clerks and what kind of schedule she requires?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone happen to know the hiring practices of the Texas judges (Elrod, Smith, Jones, Prado, Owen, Higginbotham) who are interviewing now? On the spot offers? Exploding offers? Tough, substantive interviews? Anyone with knowledge or who might be willing to dip into their school's clerkship database for some info (my school's sucks) would be really appreciated.


I've *never* heard of any Texas CoA judge giving an on-the-spot offer (or even a Texas Supreme Court judge, for that matter). Exploding offers, however, aren't uncommon. As for tough, substantive interviews, you really shouldn't even be ASKING that question: they're the norm, not the (highly unusual) exception to it, and this is the Fifth Circuit, not the Ninth. Still, like someone else already noted, judges are just as concerned about "fit" as they are academic credentials. To clarify further, by "fit" you shouldn't assume they're looking for a Mini-Me. Some of them absolutely look for yangs to their yin - you just need to do your homework beforehand to figure out what they like. I know at least one federal judge, one of the single nicest people I've ever met, who exclusively hires hard-asses who can do the dirty work he'd prefer to avoid. (I speak from personal experience here, since I was one of the hard-asses he hired. And by "hard-ass" I do not mean "jackass" or "asshole"; I mean telling-it-straight, ZERO-bullshit types who'd sooner quit their job than do any kind of degrading ass-kissing.)

As for schools: this being Texas we're talking about, a top-level UT candidate (by that I mainly mean Chancellors, the top-10 ranked students in each class, but solid LR cred does the trick, too) has about the same chance as someone from HYS, pretty much across the board (and since they get far more UT candidates than HYS ones, a big chunk of their clerks are Longhorns). New Orleans is more open, though. Still, I wouldn't even bother applying (in either case) if you're coming from outside UT/HYS unless you're T25 and top 5% at minimum (and if you somehow land an interview, you should know the judge's philosophies and better-known cases by heart before you walk in the door).


Some of this is just incorrect. I personally know people who have received on the spot offers from three of the Houston judges (though not exploding spot offers, so I guess if that's what the poster meant it's right). And I also know people who were non-top 5% at non-HYS non-UT schools who got jobs with good judges on the 5th.

That said all the stuff about prepping hard for interviews is right, but don't refrain from applying just bc you aren't at HYS.

EDIT: Also jeez some of the judges' interviews aren't nearly as tough as this poster is making them out to be. E.g. I've heard of Jones giving an offer after a 45 minute phone conversation that was basically a pure fit interview.


AGREED. I interviewed with four Fifth Circuit judges. Around top 10%. Lower top 20 school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone happen to know the hiring practices of the Texas judges (Elrod, Smith, Jones, Prado, Owen, Higginbotham) who are interviewing now? On the spot offers? Exploding offers? Tough, substantive interviews? Anyone with knowledge or who might be willing to dip into their school's clerkship database for some info (my school's sucks) would be really appreciated.


I've *never* heard of any Texas CoA judge giving an on-the-spot offer (or even a Texas Supreme Court judge, for that matter). Exploding offers, however, aren't uncommon. As for tough, substantive interviews, you really shouldn't even be ASKING that question: they're the norm, not the (highly unusual) exception to it, and this is the Fifth Circuit, not the Ninth. Still, like someone else already noted, judges are just as concerned about "fit" as they are academic credentials. To clarify further, by "fit" you shouldn't assume they're looking for a Mini-Me. Some of them absolutely look for yangs to their yin - you just need to do your homework beforehand to figure out what they like. I know at least one federal judge, one of the single nicest people I've ever met, who exclusively hires hard-asses who can do the dirty work he'd prefer to avoid. (I speak from personal experience here, since I was one of the hard-asses he hired. And by "hard-ass" I do not mean "jackass" or "asshole"; I mean telling-it-straight, ZERO-bullshit types who'd sooner quit their job than do any kind of degrading ass-kissing.)

As for schools: this being Texas we're talking about, a top-level UT candidate (by that I mainly mean Chancellors, the top-10 ranked students in each class, but solid LR cred does the trick, too) has about the same chance as someone from HYS, pretty much across the board (and since they get far more UT candidates than HYS ones, a big chunk of their clerks are Longhorns). New Orleans is more open, though. Still, I wouldn't even bother applying (in either case) if you're coming from outside UT/HYS unless you're T25 and top 5% at minimum (and if you somehow land an interview, you should know the judge's philosophies and better-known cases by heart before you walk in the door).


Some of this is just incorrect. I personally know people who have received on the spot offers from three of the Houston judges (though not exploding spot offers, so I guess if that's what the poster meant it's right). And I also know people who were non-top 5% at non-HYS non-UT schools who got jobs with good judges on the 5th.

That said all the stuff about prepping hard for interviews is right, but don't refrain from applying just bc you aren't at HYS.

EDIT: Also jeez some of the judges' interviews aren't nearly as tough as this poster is making them out to be. E.g. I've heard of Jones giving an offer after a 45 minute phone conversation that was basically a pure fit interview.


AGREED. I interviewed with four Fifth Circuit judges. Around top 10%. Lower top 20 school.


And I guess for that matter all the stuff about UT chancellors being universally on even footing isn't true; there are a couple judges who don't seem to hire much if at all from UT, top of the class or no.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Smith done '15-'16, per classmate.

90LawSchool
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby 90LawSchool » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Anyone heard anything on Edith Jones?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:45 pm

I know she's made some offers but haven't any sense of how many spots she has open.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 14, 2014 7:05 pm

.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Anyone know anything about Southwick's interview/clerkship style/demeanor?

90LawSchool
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby 90LawSchool » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about Southwick's interview/clerkship style/demeanor?


Has Southwick invited people for interviews?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:49 pm

90LawSchool wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about Southwick's interview/clerkship style/demeanor?


Has Southwick invited people for interviews?

Yes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:50 pm

If anyone has info on Judge Catherina Haynes interview style, I would appreciate PM

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone has info on Judge Catherina Haynes interview style, I would appreciate PM


I take that to mean she is interviewing?

Also, I don't think anyone can PM you if you are Anon, but I could be mistaken.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If anyone has info on Judge Catherina Haynes interview style, I would appreciate PM


I take that to mean she is interviewing?

Also, I don't think anyone can PM you if you are Anon, but I could be mistaken.

OP here. Yes she's interviewing. And thanks, I didnt know that about anon feature. In that case anyone who knows anything feel free to post and I'll pm you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:59 am

Any updates on the MS judges (Barksdale, Jolly, Graves, Southwick)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates on the MS judges (Barksdale, Jolly, Graves, Southwick)?

No idea on the others but Southwick is wrapping up interviews and giving out offers shortly

90LawSchool
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby 90LawSchool » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:54 pm

Any news from Jolly or Barksdale?




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.