Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mail applications to Jones? She hasn't updated OSCAR in over a year.


Might be too late. Do you have fed soc executive board or something for the GOP (state solicitor general, senate staff, campaign) on your resume? Also I think it's rare people get her without a personal connection getting the app attention

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Elrod hasn't scheduled interviews for 2018-19 yet, correct?

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Elrod has scheduled (at least) one interview for 2018-2019 to my knowledge.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:47 am

Elrod has scheduled at least one (other) interview for the 2018 term.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:50 am

Has anybody heard anything yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything yet?

I interviewed and am waiting to hear and it is killing me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything yet?

I interviewed and am waiting to hear and it is killing me.


I understand. Good luck! Do we have any idea which judges have started interviewing?

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything yet?

I interviewed and am waiting to hear and it is killing me.


I understand. Good luck! Do we have any idea which judges have started interviewing?


I don't know anything about the conservatives (so most of the circuit, lol) but Costa and Higginson are definitely hiring for 2019.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:48 am

Any updates on Smith or Jones?

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:00 am

Smith is interviewing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Jones has hired at least 2.

robin22

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby robin22 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Does anyone know which judges prefer work experience?

User avatar
HenryHankPalmer

Bronze
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:36 am

I'm not asking for any particular reason, just curiosity, but how do politics play into 5th Circuit clerk hiring? Do conservative judges like Haynes and Southwick load up on FedSoc people while Higginson and Costa hire ACS/Outlaw folks? Or is it a non-factor? I would imagine it is very judge dependent, I'm just bored at work and curious to see what the process is like.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything yet?

I interviewed and am waiting to hear and it is killing me.


I understand. Good luck! Do we have any idea which judges have started interviewing?


I don't know anything about the conservatives (so most of the circuit, lol) but Costa and Higginson are definitely hiring for 2019.


Higginson has already hired at least one clerk for 2020. Costa was hiring for 2019 in July, but I have no idea how many he has hired.

User avatar
radio1nowhere

Bronze
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby radio1nowhere » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything yet?

I interviewed and am waiting to hear and it is killing me.


I understand. Good luck! Do we have any idea which judges have started interviewing?


I don't know anything about the conservatives (so most of the circuit, lol) but Costa and Higginson are definitely hiring for 2019.


Higginson has already hired at least one clerk for 2020. Costa was hiring for 2019 in July, but I have no idea how many he has hired.


Costa is full for 2019.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7717
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Jones is also full for 2019.

User avatar
BelugaWhale

Bronze
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby BelugaWhale » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:58 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:I'm not asking for any particular reason, just curiosity, but how do politics play into 5th Circuit clerk hiring? Do conservative judges like Haynes and Southwick load up on FedSoc people while Higginson and Costa hire ACS/Outlaw folks? Or is it a non-factor? I would imagine it is very judge dependent, I'm just bored at work and curious to see what the process is like.

Both judges you named are not conservative for 5th cir purposes, they wouldn't even crack the top 5. And both judges for the opposing view should not be treated as "liberal" judges. And to answer your question, yes, of course it is all judge dependent, but I can say it is more of a non-factor for many of the 5th cir judges.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:46 pm

Time to revive this thread: Any info on Judge Willett for 2020? Reading apps? Interviewing? Full?

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Any news on Judge Smith for 2020 term?

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news on Judge Smith for 2020 term?


Has "completed the selection process" per letter from chambers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news on Judge Smith for 2020 term?


Has "completed the selection process" per letter from chambers.


Did you interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news on Judge Smith for 2020 term?


Has "completed the selection process" per letter from chambers.


Did you interview?


Yes, some time ago. He was lovely. Quite disappointing.

User avatar
Pneumonia

Gold
Posts: 1933
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:24 pm

tag

Anonymous User
Posts: 326391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Time to revive this thread: Any info on Judge Willett for 2020? Reading apps? Interviewing? Full?


Bump

RazPan

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Postby RazPan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:18 pm

Any info on Judge Clement for 2020? Offers?



Return to “Judicial Clerkships?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.