3 year clerkship?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

3 year clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Do these exist? Has anyone extended their clerkship to do this? Pros? Cons?

nevdash

Re: 3 year clerkship?

Postby nevdash » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 pm

If you're thinking about trying to extend a two-year clerkship, there might be one logistical problem with that: one big advantage (at least from a district judge's perspective) of having two-year clerks is that they can have staggered terms. Staggered terms are good because there's always one experienced clerk who can help the newly-hired clerk during his first year. If your judge normally hires clerks for two year terms and you ask to extend yours to three, it will fuck up the staggered hiring.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: 3 year clerkship?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:29 am

I don't think I've ever seen a 3-year clerk, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. However, you can't work as a term clerk for more than 4 years total (not just for the same judge - at all, for any judge), so I think there's a sort of general reluctance to have term clerks keep extending their terms.

(This is in the federal system; I have seen state clerks do this.)

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”