2 year clerkship v. 1 year clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

2 year clerkship v. 1 year clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:47 am

Re: clerkship between a 2 year offer and 1 year clerkship offer with similar judges at a similar district court.
All things being equal, what are your preference personally? Why? and any major difference in value for post-clerkship employment prospects?

-Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: 2 year clerkship v. 1 year clerkship

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:14 am

A lot of people who are going back to firms after clerking would probably prefer the one-year, just from a financial standpoint (you see a lot of people debating whether clerking is worth it at all, financially). If you are going back to a firm, I'm presuming a two-year clerkship would bring you in as a third-year associate, which some people might think is a good deal, and some people might find disconcerting because you don't really know anything about how the job works yet. I suppose in theory it's possible some employers wouldn't want to hire someone who'd come in as a third-year without having done anything on the job, but I don't know if that's the case or not. (Full disclosure: when I talk about firms, it's all second-hand knowledge, since I'm not going that route, so I stand ready to be corrected.)

In terms of the actual experience, I don't think you are going to learn anything much more in 2 years than what you learn in 1.

Personally, I wouldn't not apply to 2 year clerkships and would have done one happily, if it got me the court and judge I wanted. If I had a choice between 1 year and 2 year and everything else was really truly equal, I'd probably take the 1 year, just because I'm eager to get settled in the actual job I'm going to do (hopefully) for years, and don't want to put it off longer. But that's just me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Had the option of doing a 1 year or 2 year clerkship. Chose the two year for a variety of reasons, none of which was necessarily universal or dispositive.
*I'm moving across the country for the clerkship, and didn't want to do that twice in 13 months. My wife and I would rather stay and enjoy the city for a while before moving back and having kids, starting careers, etc. If nothing else, it's one more year of taking a few weekend trips to interesting places, with relatively low cost to me and no worries about face time as a young associate in a firm. Plus, there's a much better chance of her getting a substantial job if we're there for two years than just one.
*Incredibly fortunate to have an offer from a firm that doesn't care whether I'm gone for one year or two, so that helped with my decision.
*It's a cush job (hours wise) that pays well enough to enjoy the city, while also taking down some loans with my wife's salary.
*Clerkship bonus is per year, so (while it's not even close to an equalizer) my opportunity cost isn't as much that second year as it would be if I only got one year's bonus like many firms. I recognize this isn't the norm, though.
*I get two years' federal pension benefits and service credit instead of one. Since I hope to jump to DOJ or US-A at some point in my career, this gives me a head start on building some meaningful retirement savings.
*The job itself (I'm clerking on a specialty court) has a pretty steep learning curve, so I'm hoping to master the substance and the procedure well during my time, and then hang around long enough after to actually make a contribution to chambers.
*Thankfully, I don't have a lot of debt hanging over my head, but I very much understand this is a real financial consideration for many clerks.

cim_can

New

Post by cim_can » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:44 pm

I am in a two-year clerkship -- while I am interested in corporate/transactional, my sense is still that regardless of practice area firms will not pay you as a third year when you start at a firm. You may get one year towards partnership, but you will probably be paid like a first or second-year associate.

I am in a busy district court with tons of different kinds of cases, so there was a steep learning curve. It probably took 6 months before I felt like I knew what I was doing, and the full 12 months to get to a point where I felt like I had mastered things. To be honest, I have probably reached a plateau at the 18-month mark, where much of what is going on is no longer new, and I feel ready to move onto something different. I still think that I preferred the two years, because I was able to settle into the job and get to know my city and judge really well. Having more than a year meant that I was able to focus on the job and not necessarily worry about my next job from the very beginning; two years meant that I didn't feel rushed.

In the end, I can't play the "what if" game. I got a two-year clerkship and love it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:31 am

So does anyone know for sure whether firms (NYC V5's) will pay you as a second or a third year after a 2 year clerkship?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:25 am

I'm doing a 2-year district court clerkship, and I would have chosen it over a 1-year with the same judge for a variety of reasons:

-As another poster said, I don't want to move twice in such a short period of time.
-I don't have a firm job to return to, so beginning my job search after only a couple of months wouldn't have given me much time to settle.
-I personally would have felt kind of guilty doing a 1-year clerkship since it probably takes you a full year to master the job. I like knowing that the relationship will be more mutually beneficial between my judge and me.
-Most importantly, I really think I'm going to enjoy clerking. Why rush out the door?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:25 am

I'd stick with a one-year. This job and the people here are awesome, but I just don't see myself doing this stuff here for more than a year. But it's because of the location & workload.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:06 pm

2 year clerk here too. My reasons are like other posters'.

-I moved across the country and want to avoid repeating that experience.
-No post-clerkship job lined up, so I am in no rush to leave.
-I love the job. I work 35-40hrs/wk and have the greatest boss and co-workers I've ever had. I'm in no hurry to grind away at a firm.
-I want more experience and really enjoy the work I do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”