New 2013 DCt Openings

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Citizen Genet

New 2013 DCt Openings

Postby Citizen Genet » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Just a heads up for those who are interested, two District Court judges posted openings on OSCAR today to start this Fall. One is a one-year and the other is a two-year. Hartford and Denver respectively.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Anonymous User

Re: New 2013 DCt Openings

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Though I'll note that with respect to the Denver one, the word is that Martinez really likes alums with previous federal clerking experience. Though for current clerks who's term is up in the fall, spending a couple of years in Denver isn't the worst thing in the world. But I'll also note that the Denver legal market is pretty crappy, so don't (necessarily) count on a sure job in the city after the clerkship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:Just a heads up for those who are interested, two District Court judges posted openings on OSCAR today to start this Fall. One is a one-year and the other is a two-year. Hartford and Denver respectively.

May the odds be ever in your favor.
TYFT

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Though I'll note that with respect to the Denver one, the word is that Martinez really likes alums with previous federal clerking experience. Though for current clerks who's term is up in the fall, spending a couple of years in Denver isn't the worst thing in the world. But I'll also note that the Denver legal market is pretty crappy, so don't (necessarily) count on a sure job in the city after the clerkship.

Isn't Martinez also the judge who tried to hire an unpaid clerk? lol just lol at anyone who takes a clerkship with that guy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Isn't Martinez also the judge who tried to hire an unpaid clerk? lol just lol at anyone who takes a clerkship with that guy.

First. It's a paying AIII clerkship in a decent-sized city with great weather, reasonably affordable housing, and a ton of fun outdoorsy type things an hour or so away (and world class skiing about ninety minutes away). My guess is that he gets 200+ applications, and at least 20 of them come from the people he's looking for (former district court clerks with several years of biglaw or meaningful government experience). There are just soooo many really well-qualified people who'd jump at the chance to get a foothold in the Denver market.

Second. Don't get me wrong, I think that Martinez misunderstood the point of volunteer clerkships when they started popping up in 2010. They were meant as a way to give deferred associates something to do. Many judges offered them. He saw that there was an opportunity to get someone (and probably someone good) to come work for free. Now that deferments have run their course, it was probably a bad idea for him to offer a second one last year. But the idea that he was unique or especially dastardly in offering volunteer clerkships is just ahistorical. Probably dozens of judges were doing it.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

First. It's a paying AIII clerkship in a decent-sized city with great weather, reasonably affordable housing, and a ton of fun outdoorsy type things an hour or so away (and world class skiing about ninety minutes away). My guess is that he gets 200+ applications, and at least 20 of them come from the people he's looking for (former district court clerks with several years of biglaw or meaningful government experience). There are just soooo many really well-qualified people who'd jump at the chance to get a foothold in the Denver market

I don't doubt that there are reasons to take the clerkship, but I think the stuff below means that any self-respecting applicant wouldn't take this clerkship if they had any other options whatsoever.

Anonymous User wrote:Second. Don't get me wrong, I think that Martinez misunderstood the point of volunteer clerkships when they started popping up in 2010. They were meant as a way to give deferred associates something to do. Many judges offered them. He saw that there was an opportunity to get someone (and probably someone good) to come work for free. Now that deferments have run their course, it was probably a bad idea for him to offer a second one last year. But the idea that he was unique or especially dastardly in offering volunteer clerkships is just ahistorical. Probably dozens of judges were doing it.

You're right, my comment wasn't clear enough. The fact that he was offering an unpaid clerkship isn't in-and-of-itself bad. But 1) the timing of it was particularly dastardly because, as you point out, there weren't many deferred associates at the time whom the position would benefit, which made it look like a mere attempt to exploit free labor that was available because of the dismal state of the job market, and 2) if I remember correctly, his ad just reeked of disrespect for the potential applicant; I think he talked about a "moral commitment" to keep the clerkship through the full term even if paid work became available, which shows that he was totally out of touch with the type of applicant who would need to resort to an unpaid position for a year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:10 am

nevdash wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Second. Don't get me wrong, I think that Martinez misunderstood the point of volunteer clerkships when they started popping up in 2010. They were meant as a way to give deferred associates something to do. Many judges offered them. He saw that there was an opportunity to get someone (and probably someone good) to come work for free. Now that deferments have run their course, it was probably a bad idea for him to offer a second one last year. But the idea that he was unique or especially dastardly in offering volunteer clerkships is just ahistorical. Probably dozens of judges were doing it.

You're right, my comment wasn't clear enough. The fact that he was offering an unpaid clerkship isn't in-and-of-itself bad. But 1) the timing of it was particularly dastardly because, as you point out, there weren't many deferred associates at the time whom the position would benefit, which made it look like a mere attempt to exploit free labor that was available because of the dismal state of the job market, and 2) if I remember correctly, his ad just reeked of disrespect for the potential applicant; I think he talked about a "moral commitment" to keep the clerkship through the full term even if paid work became available, which shows that he was totally out of touch with the type of applicant who would need to resort to an unpaid position for a year.

I know that at least one of the other newer judges on D. Colo. recently had a deferred associate as an unpaid clerk (I wanna say in 2010). Martinez is pretty new, and it's possible that he took that as a more common practice than it actually is, rather than purely a function of the job market. Of course, that doesn't justify the whole "moral commitment" requirement, which was kind of douchey (and a little ironic since he was a plaintiff's-side employment lawyer before becoming a judge).

All that said, I have a really hard time seeing anyone pass up a chance at a paid clerkship just because of the unpaid one. Props to anyone willing to uphold principle that extent, but I don't see it being very common.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:04 am

I figure I'll start trying to update this semi-regularly.

Yesterday the Senate confirmed two judges to the E.D. Pa., Jeffrey Schmel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_L._Schmehl) and Nitza Quinones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitza_I._Q ... _Alejandro). As usual, it's up to people looking to figure out the best way to contact each individual. Both appointees are former state court judges so it is likely that you can find how to contact them through a state judiciary directory. Usual turn around for a judge to start working after confirmation is between 30 and 90 days, so this could work great for some 2013 grads who are about to finish the bar.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”