RIP Law Clerk Hiring Plan Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
legalese_retard

Bronze

RIP Law Clerk Hiring Plan

Post by legalese_retard » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Not sure if this has already been posted, but it looks like the law clerk hiring plan is pretty much dead:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... d_riddance

ph14

Gold

Re: RIP Law Clerk Hiring Plan

Post by ph14 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm not too sad. I thought the hiring plan was very problematic. I can only imagine what it was like to through the the first hiring day and having to deal with exploding offers, the gamesmanship, pushing people towards east coast areas where judges are concentrated, the manipulating ("we're not offering you now but expect an offer"), getting an offer while you're on a plan traveling to another interview only to be rescinded because you didn't respond, etc.

If only OSCAR could allow 2Ls to apply online. Paper applications are such a waste of time, energy, money, and they get there slower.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:05 pm

The plan is awful. The whole thing would be fixed if EVERYONE could apply online and EVERY judge posted on OSCAR. It would take all of the mystery out of the process, much of the inefficiency, and allow judges to do what they want with their application process.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:08 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:The plan is awful. The whole thing would be fixed if EVERYONE could apply online and EVERY judge posted on OSCAR. It would take all of the mystery out of the process, much of the inefficiency, and allow judges to do what they want with their application process.
+1 million.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:36 pm

ph14 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:The plan is awful. The whole thing would be fixed if EVERYONE could apply online and EVERY judge posted on OSCAR. It would take all of the mystery out of the process, much of the inefficiency, and allow judges to do what they want with their application process.
+1 million.
Agreed. I think all applicants want is transparency (well... they want clerkships. But in terms of applying, transparency is helpful.)

EDIT: Also, ph14, ndirish, I think it's pretty much you two, me, and A Nony Mous are running riot on this board.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:33 pm

Okay, I think I might have asked this question in another thread, but I'm wondering about when to apply. I'm a transfer to Georgetown and got excellent grades my first semester. However, law review elections aren't done yet and I'm figuring I'm still not competitive for too much based only on one semester grades, but if I repeated my performance then I would be much more competitive.

My school does a pre-mailing in the middle of summer and another one on plan. I can apply to a total of 225 judges through the school's applications. My questions are these:

1. When should I apply? Should I just wait until my school's mailings which is easier and allows me to get another semester of grades in or apply on my own as well and start doing that in March (once my recommenders are done and elections are over)?

2. If I apply to a judge that is on plan or hiring later early on my on because I just wasn't sure when they hired do I just apply again later or simply hope they haven't lost my application?

3. Does the advice depend at all on what position I get on law review? As in if I get a higher position I'm more competitive so can apply on my own earlier....

4. If I am applying earlier, how on earth do I figure out to whom I should apply on which mailing? (1) my own, (2) pre-mailing, or (3) on plan mailing.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:EDIT: Also, ph14, ndirish, I think it's pretty much you two, me, and A Nony Mous are running riot on this board.
Ha! :oops: It's just you spend so much time agonizing about applications and researching everything you can about clerking, and then you get a clerkship (yay!) ...and all that guessing speculating info is now irrelevant. So I try to scatter it hither and yon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”