Questions to expect during CoA interview? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Questions to expect during CoA interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:09 pm

I will be interviewing for a circuit court position later this month.* I have only had one clerkship interview before (for a D.Ct. position), and it was relatively easy without any tough questions. I have heard that this judge's interviews can be difficult, with lots of substantive legal questions. Can any current, former, or future circuit court clerks recall substantive questions they were asked during their interviews? Other than general questions like "Name a recent SCOTUS case you agree/disagree with and why," I can't really think of what I might be facing during this interview.

*Don't worry, 2Ls. I am a 3L and this judge requires D.Ct. clerkship first.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Questions to expect during CoA interview?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:11 pm

A friend of mine had a substantive CoA interview, in which he was grilled intensely on his LR note (which was published) and a seminar paper. Lots of questions about his argument and evidence and what about this counterargument and what about that counterargument. So one suggestion might be to be ready to defend your writing sample like it's a mini-dissertation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:51 pm

It seems like you know in advance that the judge is going to ask substantive legal questions, so prepare accordingly. I had a handful of COA interviews with varying degrees of substance:

-One pulled out my transcript, said, "you took [xyz class] last year -- tell me a few pieces of black letter law from [xyz]"
-Another had thoroughly read my writing sample and grilled me on the legal reasoning, including arguments and counterarguments
-Another, when I brought up a recent opinion s/he wrote, asked what I thought about the area of law, what I thought SCOTUS might do on review, etc.

My recommendations: skim your outlines from previous classes, thoroughly reread your writing sample(s) and be prepared to defend them, and read up on commentary about hot areas of law in general, in the circuit you're in, and in opinions written by your judge or by panels on which s/he sat.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:07 am

"Who is your favorite SCOTUS justice and why?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”