Median at T6

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Median at T6

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:50 pm

Competitive to clerk anywhere?

theaccidentalclerk

Re: Median at T6

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Probably not AIII. Maybe federal magistrate. Maybe SSC in one of the sparsely populated states. Probably a good shot at state intermediate courts outside of the big states.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:22 pm

theaccidentalclerk wrote:Probably not AIII. Maybe federal magistrate. Maybe SSC in one of the sparsely populated states. Probably a good shot at state intermediate courts outside of the big states.

I'm right around top 1/3 at my T10 and my career services adviser said I had a "good shot" of getting an AIII clerkship as an alum if I applied broadly to flyover districts. Not sure how OP would be viewed relative to me, but he/she might have a shot as an alum.

theaccidentalclerk

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:41 pm

I'm right around top 1/3 at my T10 and my career services adviser said I had a "good shot" of getting an AIII clerkship as an alum if I applied broadly to flyover districts.

I think that's probably right, at least depending what you mean by "good shot." You'd almost certainly get interviews. One thing to concentrate on -- you really need to try to get whatever the honors designation is. The reason is that a lot of alum-only judges don't ask for transcripts, so if you have "cum laude" or "honors" or whatever on there, they may think you have even better grades than you do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:22 pm

I have in front of me the stats of a lower t-14 and I cannot help but feel as if people are exaggerating a little bit. I am only a 2L so have not yet started the process, but there were people down to what was top 1/3 1st year, which must mean, top 45% second year, getting district court offers. Granted, the stats do not tell me districts so maybe they all went to the crappiest district... I just got the impression after getting hold of the stats that TLS has been exaggerating. BTW, the years were 08-12, so no pre-crisis trend messing with the numbers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have in front of me the stats of a lower t-14 and I cannot help but feel as if people are exaggerating a little bit. I am only a 2L so have not yet started the process, but there were people down to what was top 1/3 1st year, which must mean, top 45% second year, getting district court offers. Granted, the stats do not tell me districts so maybe they all went to the crappiest district... I just got the impression after getting hold of the stats that TLS has been exaggerating. BTW, the years were 08-12, so no pre-crisis trend messing with the numbers.

Top 20% at T6 who struck out last year and knows others with better stats who did as well, people are definitely not exaggerating about the difficulty. Going into the process I was rather overconfident given the stats from career services as well, but the stats generally do not tell the full story. The people with low stats who are placing into districts are ones with substantial connections, who wrote on to law review, have some other nice hook, or got luck of the draw in broad application practice. Is it possible for people not in the top 25% at T14 to outperform their stats and land competitive districts? Certainly, but don't make the mistake of going into the process overconfident that you will find something because you are within the higher echelons, because it's a common and upsetting one for disappointed 3Ls.

ClerkAdvisor

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have in front of me the stats of a lower t-14 and I cannot help but feel as if people are exaggerating a little bit. I am only a 2L so have not yet started the process, but there were people down to what was top 1/3 1st year, which must mean, top 45% second year, getting district court offers. Granted, the stats do not tell me districts so maybe they all went to the crappiest district... I just got the impression after getting hold of the stats that TLS has been exaggerating. BTW, the years were 08-12, so no pre-crisis trend messing with the numbers.

Top 20% at T6 who struck out last year and knows others with better stats who did as well, people are definitely not exaggerating about the difficulty. Going into the process I was rather overconfident given the stats from career services as well, but the stats generally do not tell the full story. The people with low stats who are placing into districts are ones with substantial connections, who wrote on to law review, have some other nice hook, or got luck of the draw in broad application practice. Is it possible for people not in the top 25% at T14 to outperform their stats and land competitive districts? Certainly, but don't make the mistake of going into the process overconfident that you will find something because you are within the higher echelons, because it's a common and upsetting one for disappointed 3Ls.

This. Any clerkship stats based on pre-class of '10 data tends to be pretty inaccurate for ITE.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:22 pm

ClerkAdvisor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This. Any clerkship stats based on pre-class of '10 data tends to be pretty inaccurate for ITE.

All fair points. I was just surprised when I saw the actual numbers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:02 am

median at T14, class of '11, got a major-state SSC clerkship right out of law school with no connections

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”