State Supreme Court Clerk- taking q's

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: State Supreme Court Clerk- taking q's

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:53 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Can you give a hint at what kind of state you are at?

I am kind of assuming it is a certain state, but just curious.

No, sorry.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:25 pm

My school's CDO page says that essentially the competitive states are competitive for both state and federal clerkships. They say that flyover states are less competitive for federal but still pretty tough, while state court applications in flyover states are much easier. Is that consistent with your experience?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:14 pm

andythefir wrote:My school's CDO page says that essentially the competitive states are competitive for both state and federal clerkships. They say that flyover states are less competitive for federal but still pretty tough, while state court applications in flyover states are much easier. Is that consistent with your experience?

I think most SSCs are "competitive" by any sense of the word, but your CSO is sort of right. There's a lower gap between what it takes to get the most competitive FDC and the SSC in a big state, and what it takes to get a FDC and the SSC in a flyover, since there are people who will move to do a federal clerkship but will not move for a SSC in that same state. Also profs may have ties with federal judges in strange places, but less likely to have them with SSC judges.

That being said, my experience was one interview, one offer, out of maybe 100 apps. And I struck out at much less competitive SSCs and FDCs than where I ultimately landed. It's impossible to predict.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:58 pm

In your opinion, do you think it only makes sense to clerk in a the Supreme Court of the state that you will be admitted to and plan to practice in? Or do you think it's fine to clerk in any state's supreme court for the experience/prestige? I want to stay in the 9th Circuit but want to apply for less competitive states (e.g. AK). I want to return to CA eventually to practice.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:38 pm

I don't think a SSC clerkship ever *hurts* you; I do think that you make more useful contacts in the state where the clerkship is located, as the majority of contacts you make (and your judge has) will be people appearing in those state courts. Depending on where you are - for example NY/NJ/PA - there can be some crossover, but a lot of times it will only be people from the local state. You also get a great overview of the law in that particular state, which is also less transferable to other states.

If you simply want the experience of clerking and you already have the credentials to get the jobs you want, I don't think it matters so much where you go. If you want to parlay the SSC clerkship into a job/better job, then going local to where you want to practice makes more sense. Of course, California is tough, since their state courts hire almost no clerks, right? So that might make going out of state more reasonable.

Also, AK is actually a very competitive state for state court clerkships - there are no local law schools, so if they're going to bring in people from elsewhere, they might as well go for the top. And there are tons of issues of first impression in Alaska, since it has such a short legal history, so people like to go there.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Shoot.

What is the pay?

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:33 pm

If you simply want the experience of clerking and you already have the credentials to get the jobs you want, I don't think it matters so much where you go. If you want to parlay the SSC clerkship into a job/better job, then going local to where you want to practice makes more sense. Of course, California is tough, since their state courts hire almost no clerks, right? So that might make going out of state more reasonable.

Yeah, I think I called a year or two ago and they said that the only judge that took on term clerks was retiring. I think that was Moreno (who is now at Irell). Occasionally spots open up but they usually look for people with experience. They have occasionally have criminal/civil staff attorney positions, and the court of appeals will occasionally have staff attorney positions, and sometimes new grads (or newer grads) can apply, but I've never had any luck even getting an interview from any of those.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:27 pm

lolwat wrote:

Yeah, I think I called a year or two ago and they said that the only judge that took on term clerks was retiring. I think that was Moreno (who is now at Irell). Occasionally spots open up but they usually look for people with experience. They have occasionally have criminal/civil staff attorney positions, and the court of appeals will occasionally have staff attorney positions, and sometimes new grads (or newer grads) can apply, but I've never had any luck even getting an interview from any of those.

On my court, the judges who have career clerks usually hire from the intermediate appellate court.

Sheffield wrote:

What is the pay?

Good. Comparable to that of federal clerks in the circuit.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sheffield wrote:

What is the pay?

Can you ballpark a $ range? And down the road what is the high watermark level? I only know about law firms... those mainly in the $125K on up range. Thanks.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sheffield wrote:What is the pay?

Wow, that's a good deal. My flyover state, SSC clerks got $51K, but I've seen plenty of states that pay in the $40s.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:07 pm

If AK can be competitive as a "new state," would the same apply to HI state clerkships?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If AK can be competitive as a "new state," would the same apply to HI state clerkships?

Probably, but the other issue is that's it's freaking Hawaii. Who WOULDN'T want to clerk there?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:32 am

Anyone has any idea how competitive the MA SSC is? Assume applicant has connections. I understand that there is a lot more than grades when you get one interview out of 70 apps, but just curious whether it is even worth throwing an application their way.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone has any idea how competitive the MA SSC is? Assume applicant has connections. I understand that there is a lot more than grades when you get one interview out of 70 apps, but just curious whether it is even worth throwing an application their way.

One of the most competitive SSCs in the country. Routinely gets HLS kids and top-of-the-class BU/BC kids before even considering T14 kids with ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone has any idea how competitive the MA SSC is? Assume applicant has connections. I understand that there is a lot more than grades when you get one interview out of 70 apps, but just curious whether it is even worth throwing an application their way.

It is likely on par with all but the most competitive Federal District Courts (EDNY/SDNY/DDC/CD Cal). But there's no harm in trying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:01 pm

Assuming NY is also competitive. I am 1/3 at t10. Is that too low? Is the deadline to apply the same as fed clerkships or later?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Whats the read on the value of a PA/NJ?

Postby Offline » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for taking questions.

I am currently a 2L at Columbia/NYU. I would estimate top 20%. Secondary journal. V10 firm for the summer. Lived in NYC my whole life.

I am thinking of applying to NY Court of Appeals as an alum. What are my chances, and do you have any advice? I rather clerk for the Court of Appeals than a Federal District Court -- mostly because of that discretionary review :).

Bumpity bump bump.

What is the citizenship requirement for state clerkship? Is there a federal law requiring it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:35 pm

Are ties to the region more sought after by SSC justices than by FDC judges?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:26 pm

Not OP, but since this is a 3 year old thread that got necro'd, I'll answer some:

Offline wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumpity bump bump.

What is the citizenship requirement for state clerkship? Is there a federal law requiring it?

It's up to the particular state or court. No, there is no federal law that prescribes the clerk hiring qualifications that must be followed by state courts, at least not beyond basic immigration law. I know of at least one foreign national SSC clerk who was permitted to work at the state court for full salary and benefits under a student intern visa, but my understanding is that only applies for the first 12 months after graduation. (Of course if you're a permanent resident, you don't need to worry about the visa issues).

Anonymous User wrote:Are ties to the region more sought after by SSC justices than by FDC judges?

IME (where my search was limited in region), more so than some D.Ct. judges and about the same as others. The major problem is that some D.Ct. judges care about ties and others do not. So trying to compare SSC to D.Ct. judges generally on something where there's no homogeneity among D.Ct. judges in the first place is not informative.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:30 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonidee

Postby tonidee » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:06 pm

Former NJ SSC here

I think it depends. I think you mostly miss out on the network you gain by clerking in your home state. I know in New Jersey, clerking makes it easier to get your next gig.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:13 pm

tag

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”