telling judges I am in the area?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

telling judges I am in the area?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:51 am

Over spring break, I am going to be in an area where I happened to apply to a few judges. I haven't heard back from them yet but could I let them know that I will be in town if they are interested in interviewing me? Do people do that?

Anonymous User

Re: telling judges I am in the area?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:38 am

anyone?

dsb83

Postby dsb83 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:04 am

I say this as common sense speculation, so take it with a grain of salt. I don't think it would hurt to say you're in the area, but make sure you don't sound presumptuous in saying you're available for an interview. It might come across as "hey, I'm just going to happen to be around and have some time if you want to go ahead and interview me now." Judges seem fairly idiosyncratic, so it'd probably just depend on the judge, and if they're already interested in you. With that said, I received interviews very quickly after submitting my packets...so if you haven't heard otherwise, it could mean they're not interested and an email saying you're around isn't going to change that. But then, if that's maybe the case, what do you have to lose? I would present it as a follow up and an indication that you will be in the area if the judge had any questions...or something along those lines. I would not say "interview." Good luck.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Over spring break, I am going to be in an area where I happened to apply to a few judges. I haven't heard back from them yet but could I let them know that I will be in town if they are interested in interviewing me? Do people do that?

It can't hurt. People definitely do this to leverage more clerkship interviews during on plan hiring (i.e. you get one interview at X court with Judge Y, and you tell all the other judges you applied to at X court and in the area that you will be in town interviewing with Judge Y, and ask them if they would be interested in interviewing you as well). Your situation isn't exactly the same, but you might as well give it a shot. (Worst case scenario, they aren't interested in you and don't get back to you about setting up an interview time.) Nobody will think it's weird or anything like that.

dsb83- while it's true that if a judge is not interested, an email saying you're around isn't going to change that, the phone call (I would call the chambers, not email) saying you're around might get your application plucked from the pile and actually looked at. It's a little different with internships (because they are less competitive), but with clerkships, a large part of the battle is simply getting someone to actually look at your resume (art III judges get bombarded with clerkship applications).

theaccidentalclerk

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:06 am

With that said, I received interviews very quickly after submitting my packets...so if you haven't heard otherwise, it could mean they're not interested and an email saying you're around isn't going to change that.

Just FYI, but this isn't necessarily true. I got interviews anywhere from a day after submitting my stuff to several months after doing so. I think the sweet spot is probably in the 3-4 week range, but it varies widely.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 am

Wait, is this thread about internships or clerkships??

My clerkship experience is like dsb83's - when I've got positive responses from judges, they were very very quick. That said, 1) it's a small sample and 2) these were clearly judges who read applications as they came in the door. I think other judges put all the apps in a pile and review them all at a specific time. Especially applying this early, it is entirely possible judges haven't started looking at applications yet, so not having heard back might not mean anything.

(My internship experience is actually the same - a fairly quick response - but I think it's harder to generalize about internships than about clerkships, and if it's for this summer, that's a different timeline than for a clerkship.)

Either way, there's no harm in saying you'll be in town and would the judge be willing to meet with you. Worst that happens is they ding you or ignore you, which they'd have probably done anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:57 pm

It worked for me. I applied to well over 100 judges and called up chambers for one of the judges when I knew I'd be in town the next week (out-of-state). I ended up getting an interview and eventually got the job. As some have mentioned, I'm sure it might be a turnoff to some judges (I'm not sure you'd want to work with them anyway), but I'm pretty sure that one call made the difference between a great job in a great location and a long(er) and more stressful job hunt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It worked for me. I applied to well over 100 judges and called up chambers for one of the judges when I knew I'd be in town the next week (out-of-state). I ended up getting an interview and eventually got the job. As some have mentioned, I'm sure it might be a turnoff to some judges (I'm not sure you'd want to work with them anyway), but I'm pretty sure that one call made the difference between a great job in a great location and a long(er) and more stressful job hunt.

Would you mind sharing what you said/how you brought it up? Did you just say you'll be in town in case the judge has any questions, or did you specifically mention to "meet" or "interview" with the judge?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It worked for me. I applied to well over 100 judges and called up chambers for one of the judges when I knew I'd be in town the next week (out-of-state). I ended up getting an interview and eventually got the job. As some have mentioned, I'm sure it might be a turnoff to some judges (I'm not sure you'd want to work with them anyway), but I'm pretty sure that one call made the difference between a great job in a great location and a long(er) and more stressful job hunt.

Would you mind sharing what you said/how you brought it up? Did you just say you'll be in town in case the judge has any questions, or did you specifically mention to "meet" or "interview" with the judge?

I basically called up the Judge's law clerk and said "Hey my name is [Me] and I recently submitted an application for the term clerk position in Judge [Judgerson's] chambers. I'm going to be in [City] between [date] and [date] and I am not able to make it back to [City] very often so I wanted to let you know in case Judge [Judgerson] is interested in me as a candidate for the job."

I know it's easy to overthink these things but try not to. If you put yourself in the judge's position after getting that call, are you going to think "how dare this little entitled jerk waste my time and assume that he/she meets my standards" or are you going to think "let's check out his/her resume and see if he/she's a good fit"? I'd like to think that most judges would think the latter.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”