Best and worst judges to clerk for Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Best and worst judges to clerk for

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on Altonaga in S.D. Fla.?
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:02 pm

any knowledge about the 4th?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
I know some of her former clerks and have met her a few times. She is deeply respected and her clerks love her, ime.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:18 pm

Any thoughts on the Seventh Circuit and/or NDIL? Judges Wood, Scudder, and Feinerman all teach at Chicago and are beloved by their students. Judge Easterbrook I've heard mixed things on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
I know some of her former clerks and have met her a few times. She is deeply respected and her clerks love her, ime.
lol. she literally doesn't hire "social" people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
lol. she literally doesn't hire "social" people.
OP. I did more research on her and she seems to be the most respected Judge on the Court; and perhaps the most in Miami besides Jordan.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:any knowledge about the 4th?
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:21 am

Any thoughts on Marcus (11th)? I’ve heard hours can be tough; is that true, and if so does anyone have insight on whether senior status has changed that? What about case load now that he’s senior? And is it true that clerks don’t get to draft opinions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on the Seventh Circuit and/or NDIL? Judges Wood, Scudder, and Feinerman all teach at Chicago and are beloved by their students. Judge Easterbrook I've heard mixed things on.
Big Frank clerks literally do nothing. He writes everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on Marcus (11th)? I’ve heard hours can be tough; is that true, and if so does anyone have insight on whether senior status has changed that? What about case load now that he’s senior? And is it true that clerks don’t get to draft opinions?
I have heard it's reasonable hours and that clerks draft opinions. Smart and well-respected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:17 am

any insight into edny judges?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:35 pm

Any thoughts on Mark Walker (N.D. Fla.)?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on Mark Walker (N.D. Fla.)?
I've heard good things, and he's well respected in Florida. Additionally, he tends to get some interesting cases because of where he's located.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:38 pm

Any bad N.D. Tex. judges?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:any insight into edny judges?
stay away: dearcy hall, donnelly, cogan, mauskopf, block

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What about SDNY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:38 pm

Any insight into ND Cal judges?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:34 am

lavarman84 wrote:
I've heard good things, and he's well respected in Florida. Additionally, he tends to get some interesting cases because of where he's located.
This is a weird comment. MW is one of the laughing stocks of the Fl bench partly bc of how often his opinions go off the rails (even among ppl like me who are sympathetic to his politics)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any insight into ND Cal judges?
Other than Alsup, I've never heard of any of them as being "bad" or worth avoiding. I'm only really familiar with the SF judges though.

I've heard Gonzales-Rogers can be difficult, but only in terms of litigants, I'm not sure how she treats her clerks.

As for Alsup, it's common knowledge that he works absurd hours, and expects his clerks (and to a lesser extent externs) to do the same. We're talking like 5 am to 8 pm every day. He doesn't do it to be cruel like Kozinski used to be famous for, he's just a workhorse who takes his job incredibly seriously. I've also heard that his clerks have to walk his dogs sometimes, which some might find demeaning, but that sounds like a great way to get some time off actual work IMO.

Personally, I'd be hesitant to clerk for him because the hours sound torturous, but it is temporary after all. Also, anyone familiar with Alsup who sees him on your resume will immediately know that you have the capacity to bill a shitload of hours. His name also carries a lot of clout in the NDCA IP litigation scene (whether he deserves it or not).

At the other end of the spectrum, Breyer is very laid back and apparently his clerks basically never go past 9 to 5. He also filters out a lot of tedium (ERISA, social security appeals etc.) through senior status, so his clerks generally spend less time on rote crap like that. He's pretty much the MDL guy in NDCA, so he gets a disproportionate amount of nationwide class actions.

Chhabria is interesting; unlike most judges, he neither has a career clerk, nor does he stagger his clerk's terms. Thus, every new term he has 3 new clerks, who all have to learn the ropes at the same time. I get the impression it can be pretty chaotic, but I'm guessing he'd switch it up if it didn't work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any insight into ND Cal judges?
Other than Alsup, I've never heard of any of them as being "bad" or worth avoiding. I'm only really familiar with the SF judges though.

I've heard Gonzales-Rogers can be difficult, but only in terms of litigants, I'm not sure how she treats her clerks.

As for Alsup, it's common knowledge that he works absurd hours, and expects his clerks (and to a lesser extent externs) to do the same. We're talking like 5 am to 8 pm every day. He doesn't do it to be cruel like Kozinski used to be famous for, he's just a workhorse who takes his job incredibly seriously. I've also heard that his clerks have to walk his dogs sometimes, which some might find demeaning, but that sounds like a great way to get some time off actual work IMO.

Personally, I'd be hesitant to clerk for him because the hours sound torturous, but it is temporary after all. Also, anyone familiar with Alsup who sees him on your resume will immediately know that you have the capacity to bill a shitload of hours. His name also carries a lot of clout in the NDCA IP litigation scene (whether he deserves it or not).

At the other end of the spectrum, Breyer is very laid back and apparently his clerks basically never go past 9 to 5. He also filters out a lot of tedium (ERISA, social security appeals etc.) through senior status, so his clerks generally spend less time on rote crap like that. He's pretty much the MDL guy in NDCA, so he gets a disproportionate amount of nationwide class actions.

Chhabria is interesting; unlike most judges, he neither has a career clerk, nor does he stagger his clerk's terms. Thus, every new term he has 3 new clerks, who all have to learn the ropes at the same time. I get the impression it can be pretty chaotic, but I'm guessing he'd switch it up if it didn't work.
Former ND Cal clerk here. Alsup is definitely the most demanding of the clerkships in the district. Didn't know about the walking dogs bit, but I'd probably consider that a slight plus. Koh is a step down workload-wise, but the only other one I'd describe as particularly demanding. Only ones I'd avoid due to personality are Donato and maybe Brown Armstrong. Neither has a great reputation with practitioners and I haven't heard good things about either clerkship experience. At the other end of the spectrum, Tigar, Chen, and Seeborg are widely considered to be fantastic. I've also heard good things about Gilliam and Freeman from former clerks.

Just a note about the above: Breyer is a very difficult clerkship to get, his clerks still occasionally go up and clerk for his brother. The great hours and weeding out of less interesting cases is well known to applicants and so I wouldn't get your hopes up without grades that could get you feeder-level COA clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Can you provide individualized reasons?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any bad N.D. Tex. judges?
No real horror stories. As to workload, Lindsey and Lynn work clerks pretty hard, as does O'Connor (who hires mostly through fed soc). A bunch of the judges are new, so you won't hear much reliable intel on, say, Starr, Hendrix, Kacsmaryk, Brown, or Pittman---although I've heard anecdotally that Pittman is fine. Fish, Cummings, and McBryde are all great to work for.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
This is a weird comment. MW is one of the laughing stocks of the Fl bench partly bc of how often his opinions go off the rails (even among ppl like me who are sympathetic to his politics)
I can only go off of what I've heard from some fairly prominent lawyers and my own personal experiences. But I'm not posting Anon here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any bad N.D. Tex. judges?
No real horror stories. As to workload, Lindsey and Lynn work clerks pretty hard, as does O'Connor (who hires mostly through fed soc). A bunch of the judges are new, so you won't hear much reliable intel on, say, Starr, Hendrix, Kacsmaryk, Brown, or Pittman---although I've heard anecdotally that Pittman is fine. Fish, Cummings, and McBryde are all great to work for.
Thanks for this. Do you have any specifics on what it's like to work for Godbey or Boyle? Since they've been on the bench for over a decade, I figured there would be some decent information out there. As far as Godbey goes, at least, I wasn't able to turn up much of anything searching on TLS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:18 am

Any thoughts on 8th Circuit judges?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”