Which judges are the feeder judges?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Some judges with 2: Pryor (11th); Carnes (11th); Colloton (8th); Chagares (3d); Sack (2d); Scirica (3d); Niemeyer (4th); Kethledge (6th)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some judges with 2: Pryor (11th); Carnes (11th); Colloton (8th); Chagares (3d); Sack (2d); Scirica (3d); Niemeyer (4th); Kethledge (6th)


Thank you, incredibly helpful poster!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Some judges with 2: Pryor (11th); Carnes (11th); Colloton (8th); Chagares (3d); Sack (2d); Scirica (3d); Niemeyer (4th); Kethledge (6th)


Thank you, incredibly helpful poster!


Also Pierre Leval (2d), although he's old.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:02 am

Judge Pryor (11th Circuit) sent two very recently (as in the last couple of terms)---one to Justice Thomas and one to Justice Alito. He's definitely someone to consider given the recent trend.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Conservatives like Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch have started feeding to some of the more liberal justices, and Judge Kozinski has done so for quite some time.

Why is this? Is it because some justices don't care as much about promoting the profile of circuit court judges who are more likely to be on their "side"? Or is it just because the liberals don't have enough active feeders? It seems less likely to see conservative justices hiring from more liberal circuit court judges.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22846
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Conservatives like Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch have started feeding to some of the more liberal justices, and Judge Kozinski has done so for quite some time.

Why is this? Is it because some justices don't care as much about promoting the profile of circuit court judges who are more likely to be on their "side"? Or is it just because the liberals don't have enough active feeders? It seems less likely to see conservative justices hiring from more liberal circuit court judges.

I totally have no inside knowledge into this, but I've seen others speculate it's the bolded, I think. And there are only so many SCOTUS slots, and a good candidate is a good candidate. (Also, I've read that Scalia used to hire a liberal clerk specifically to have ideological diversity in his chambers, though I think he's stopped.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:27 am

Can anyone describe how feeder judges (either as a whole or particular ones) tend to push their clerks to the Supreme Court? I would assume that there is a period of proving yourself worthy of the Court before the Judge would recommend you. Do judges pick the best from each cohort or push them all and see which one sticks? Would a judge only try to push a clerk to a particular Justice he or she deems to be the best fit or to multiple simultaneously?

Of course I realize this will differ between judges.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone describe how feeder judges (either as a whole or particular ones) tend to push their clerks to the Supreme Court? I would assume that there is a period of proving yourself worthy of the Court before the Judge would recommend you. Do judges pick the best from each cohort or push them all and see which one sticks? Would a judge only try to push a clerk to a particular Justice he or she deems to be the best fit or to multiple simultaneously?

Of course I realize this will differ between judges.


As GTL Rev told it, the "feeding" process doesn't even work this way for many eventual SCOTUS clerks. The true ballers (who knows how many of the 36 this applies to) are doing a year with the "feeder" judge as a formality: their prof has the direct connection with SCOTUS, there is an understanding they will wind up there after their year on the COA, and it's just a question of who the COA judge will be.

As for those who actually earn their way to the court via their service with the feeder judge... I have no idea how that works.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:48 am

The above post is really interesting, and potentially explains a lot. At my school (MVPB), I only know of SCOTUS clerks who got their clerkship from a strong recommendation from their feeder COA judge during the clerkship. Meanwhile, I see that Roberts has already hired clerks who still haven't graduated from Harvard. It must be that from the very top schools, it's possible to get a SCOTUS clerkship with a circuit clerkship as an intermediate "formality," as explained above.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:25 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Can anyone describe how feeder judges (either as a whole or particular ones) tend to push their clerks to the Supreme Court? I would assume that there is a period of proving yourself worthy of the Court before the Judge would recommend you. Do judges pick the best from each cohort or push them all and see which one sticks? Would a judge only try to push a clerk to a particular Justice he or she deems to be the best fit or to multiple simultaneously?


It varies. Some clerks come into the clerkship with their SCOTUS clerkship already in the bag, but how it usually worked in our chambers (moderate feeder, usually feeding one but sometimes two clerks per term) is that the judge had a strategy for each justice. He would only push one person to that justice but would push hard (phone calls, bringing that person's resume to social gatherings(!), and letters). Some clerks were unlucky because they wanted to try for a justice, but the judge was still pushing some former clerk and it wasn't their turn yet, or the judge wanted to push them toward a justice they didn't want to clerk for.

As for which clerks benefited from these efforts, the judge favored the clerks who seemed like they would be a good fit for the justice in question (went to the same school(s), had faculty recommenders who were close to the justice, had a life story the justice would appreciate). He would usually push only one or two clerks per class.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:56 am

Looks like the list from the first page is due for an update, based on ATL.

1. Garland (D.C. Cir.), 20
2. Kavanaugh (D.C. Cir.), 18
3. Wilkinson (4th Cir.), 14
4. Kozinski (9th Cir.), 10
4. Sutton (6th Cir.), 10
6. Katzmann (2d Cir.), 9
7. Tatel (D.C. Cir.), 8
8. Griffith (D.C. Cir.), 7
8. O'Scannlain (9th Cir.), 7
8. Reinhardt (9th Cir.), 7
11. D. Ginsburg (D.C. Cir.), 6
11. Gorsuch (10th Cir.), 6
11. Calabresi (2d Cir.), 6
11. Fletcher (9th Cir.), 6
15. Posner (7th Cir.), 5
15. J.R. Brown (D.C. Cir.), 5
17. Boudin (1st Cir.), 4
17. Randolph (D.C. Cir.), 4
19. E. Jones (5th Cir.), 3
19. Sentelle (D.C. Cir.), 3
19. S. Williams (D.C. Cir.), 3

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:57 pm

Below is the updated list of SCOTUS clerks by judge from OT 2009 to present (including the partially filled OT 2013 and 2014 classes). I included updates from the new ATL post and extended the list to include judges mentioned in this thread who had sent two clerks to the SCOTUS.

Also, I added the number of clerks each judge has sent to the Bristow Fellowship in the last four Bristow classes (only for judges already on the list). However, the rankings still only reflect the number of SCOTUS clerks.

OP, want to keep a running an updated master list in the OP?

1. Garland (D.C. Cir.), 20 + 1 Bristow
2. Kavanaugh (D.C. Cir.), 18 + 1 Bristow
3. Wilkinson (4th Cir.), 14 + 2 Bristows
4. Kozinski (9th Cir.), 10
4. Sutton (6th Cir.), 10 + 2 Bristows
6. Katzmann (2d Cir.), 9
7. Tatel (D.C. Cir.), 8 + 1 Bristow
8. Griffith (D.C. Cir.), 7
8. O'Scannlain (9th Cir.), 7
8. Reinhardt (9th Cir.), 7
11. D. Ginsburg (D.C. Cir.), 6
11. Gorsuch (10th Cir.), 6 + 1 Bristow
11. Calabresi (2d Cir.), 6
11. Fletcher (9th Cir.), 6 + 1 Bristow
15. Posner (7th Cir.), 5
15. J.R. Brown (D.C. Cir.), 5
17. Boudin (1st Cir.), 4 + 1 Bristow
17. Randolph (D.C. Cir.), 4 + 1 Bristow
19. E. Jones (5th Cir.), 3 + 1 Bristow
19. Sentelle (D.C. Cir.), 3
19. S. Williams (D.C. Cir.), 3
22. Carnes (11th), 2
22. Chagares (3d), 2
22. Colloton (8th), 2
22. Kethledge (6th), 2 + 2 Bristows
22. Leval (2d), 2
22. Niemeyer (4th), 2 + 1 Bristow
22. Pryor (11th), 2
22. Sack (2d), 2
22. Scirica (3d), 2

Edited for accuracy.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby dixon02 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Below is the updated list of SCOTUS clerks by judge from OT 2009 to present (including the partially filled OT 2013 and 2014 classes). I included updates from the new ATL post and extended the list to include judges mentioned in this thread who had sent two clerks to the SCOTUS.

Also, I added the number of clerks each judge has sent to the Bristow Fellowship in the last four Bristow classes (only for judges already on the list). However, the rankings still only reflect the number of SCOTUS clerks.

OP, want to keep a running updated master list in the OP?

1. Garland (D.C. Cir.), 20 + 1 Bristow
2. Kavanaugh (D.C. Cir.), 19 + 1 Bristow
3. Wilkinson (4th Cir.), 15 + 2 Bristows
4. Kozinski (9th Cir.), 10
4. Sutton (6th Cir.), 10 + 2 Bristows
6. Katzmann (2d Cir.), 9
7. Tatel (D.C. Cir.), 8 + 1 Bristow
7. O'Scannlain (9th Cir.), 8
9. Reinhardt (9th Cir.), 8
10. Fletcher (9th Cir.), 7 + 1 Bristow
11. Griffith (D.C. Cir.), 7
11. D. Ginsburg (D.C. Cir.), 6
11. Gorsuch (10th Cir.), 6 + 1 Bristow
11. Calabresi (2d Cir.), 6
11. J.R. Brown (D.C. Cir.), 6
16. Posner (7th Cir.), 5
17. Boudin (1st Cir.), 4
17. Randolph (D.C. Cir.), 4 + 1 Bristow
19. E. Jones (5th Cir.), 3 + 1 Bristow
19. Sentelle (D.C. Cir.), 3
19. S. Williams (D.C. Cir.), 3
22. Carnes (11th), 2
22. Chagares (3d), 2
22. Colloton (8th), 2
22. Kethledge (6th), 2 + 2 Bristow
22. Leval (2d), 2
22. Niemeyer (4th), 2 + 1 Bristow
22. Pryor (11th), 2
22. Sack (2d), 2
22. Scirica (3d), 2


Very helpful, thanks. But keep in mind that most Bristows go on to SCOTUS (which is I assume why you included them), so people viewing this should not just sum up the two numbers. Doing so is likely double counting a number of people.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:40 pm

If the anonymous OP doesn't respond within a day or so, and/or if the anonymous OP doesn't want to be responsible for updating the OP, I'd be happy to do so.

Also: I know Boudin sent a Bristow in this most recent batch, but I don't see it mentioned.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:If the anonymous OP doesn't respond within a day or so, and/or if the anonymous OP doesn't want to be responsible for updating the OP, I'd be happy to do so.

Also: I know Boudin sent a Bristow in this most recent batch, but I don't see it mentioned.


Fixed WRT Boudin.

I also think it would be worthwhile to extend the list to include judges who have sent one clerk to the SC and maybe to push back the period covered a few years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:18 pm

dixon02 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Below is the updated list of SCOTUS clerks by judge from OT 2009 to present (including the partially filled OT 2013 and 2014 classes). I included updates from the new ATL post and extended the list to include judges mentioned in this thread who had sent two clerks to the SCOTUS.

Also, I added the number of clerks each judge has sent to the Bristow Fellowship in the last four Bristow classes (only for judges already on the list). However, the rankings still only reflect the number of SCOTUS clerks.

OP, want to keep a running updated master list in the OP?

1. Garland (D.C. Cir.), 20 + 1 Bristow
2. Kavanaugh (D.C. Cir.), 19 + 1 Bristow
3. Wilkinson (4th Cir.), 15 + 2 Bristows
4. Kozinski (9th Cir.), 10
4. Sutton (6th Cir.), 10 + 2 Bristows
6. Katzmann (2d Cir.), 9
7. Tatel (D.C. Cir.), 8 + 1 Bristow
7. O'Scannlain (9th Cir.), 8
9. Reinhardt (9th Cir.), 8
10. Fletcher (9th Cir.), 7 + 1 Bristow
11. Griffith (D.C. Cir.), 7
11. D. Ginsburg (D.C. Cir.), 6
11. Gorsuch (10th Cir.), 6 + 1 Bristow
11. Calabresi (2d Cir.), 6
11. J.R. Brown (D.C. Cir.), 6
16. Posner (7th Cir.), 5
17. Boudin (1st Cir.), 4
17. Randolph (D.C. Cir.), 4 + 1 Bristow
19. E. Jones (5th Cir.), 3 + 1 Bristow
19. Sentelle (D.C. Cir.), 3
19. S. Williams (D.C. Cir.), 3
22. Carnes (11th), 2
22. Chagares (3d), 2
22. Colloton (8th), 2
22. Kethledge (6th), 2 + 2 Bristow
22. Leval (2d), 2
22. Niemeyer (4th), 2 + 1 Bristow
22. Pryor (11th), 2
22. Sack (2d), 2
22. Scirica (3d), 2


Very helpful, thanks. But keep in mind that most Bristows go on to SCOTUS (which is I assume why you included them), so people viewing this should not just sum up the two numbers. Doing so is likely double counting a number of people.


Yeah, that's a good point. If I had more time I would go through and only list Bristows who have not yet gone to the court.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:24 pm

I think extending it to judges who have only sent 1 clerk is a good idea.

However, the more we push it back (in terms of years), the less accurately list will reflect who the current feeders really are. As it stands, the above data already includes one year of John Paul Stevens clerks. If we push it back another year or two, it will include (1) more JPS clerks and (2) Souter clerks, too. I'm sure those justices took clerks from a lot of the same judges on this list, but I know that there were some changes, too. For example, Boudin sent a ton to Souter. Five or ten years ago, Boudin was probably a "top 5" feeder along with Kozinski and Garland. Now, however, he has only fed four since 2009. That's why I think the "since OT2009" timeline is a good one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I think extending it to judges who have only sent 1 clerk is a good idea.

However, the more we push it back (in terms of years), the less accurately list will reflect who the current feeders really are. As it stands, the above data already includes one year of John Paul Stevens clerks. If we push it back another year or two, it will include (1) more JPS clerks and (2) Souter clerks, too. I'm sure those justices took clerks from a lot of the same judges on this list, but I know that there were some changes, too. For example, Boudin sent a ton to Souter. Five or ten years ago, Boudin was probably a "top 5" feeder along with Kozinski and Garland. Now, however, he has only fed four since 2009. That's why I think the "since OT2009" timeline is a good one.


You persuaded me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Below is the updated list of SCOTUS clerks by judge from OT 2009 to present (including the partially filled OT 2013 and 2014 classes). I included updates from the new ATL post and extended the list to include judges mentioned in this thread who had sent two clerks to the SCOTUS.

Also, I added the number of clerks each judge has sent to the Bristow Fellowship in the last four Bristow classes (only for judges already on the list). However, the rankings still only reflect the number of SCOTUS clerks.

OP, want to keep a running updated master list in the OP?



Is this accurate? The post at the beginning of this thread said that O'Scannlain had sent 6...now it says 8, even though ATL just listed one new O'Scannlain clerk. Same goes for JRB, Kavanaugh, etc. Looks like accidental double-counting?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Is this accurate? The post at the beginning of this thread said that O'Scannlain had sent 6...now it says 8, even though ATL just listed one new O'Scannlain clerk. Same goes for JRB, Kavanaugh, etc. Looks like accidental double-counting?


Eh, my bad. When the post above said we needed an update after the new ATL post, I didn't realize s/he had already done the update. I'll go back and fix it.

Thanks for pointing it out.

ETA: Ok, that should be fixed. Let me know if there are any other inaccuracies. Those who quoted the list before it was fixed might want to edit their posts so people don't see the incorrect list.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:27 pm

Kozinski has placed at least one Bristow since 2009 (guy who went to NYU and is currently clerking for Justice Scalia).

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:31 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:If the anonymous OP doesn't respond within a day or so, and/or if the anonymous OP doesn't want to be responsible for updating the OP, I'd be happy to do so.


Took the liberty of updating the OP.

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby whereskyle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 am

any necessary pre-law softs for clerking for a feeder judge? Also, any numbers for which schools are feeding the feeders and by which margins?

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby jd20132013 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:14 pm

whereskyle wrote:any necessary pre-law softs for clerking for a feeder judge? Also, any numbers for which schools are feeding the feeders and by which margins?


how did I know you were 0L?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which judges are the feeder judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Feeders of Today (with ages):

1. Garland (D.C. Cir.), 20 + 1 Bristow - 60 y.o.
2. Kavanaugh (D.C. Cir.), 18 + 1 Bristow - 48 y.o.
3. Wilkinson (4th Cir.), 14 + 2 Bristows - 68 y.o.
4. Kozinski (9th Cir.), 10 - 62 y.o.
4. Sutton (6th Cir.), 10 + 2 Bristows - 52 y.o.
6. Katzmann (2d Cir.), 9 - 59 y.o.
7. Tatel (D.C. Cir.), 8 + 1 Bristow - 71 y.o.
8. Griffith (D.C. Cir.), 7 - 58 y.o.
8. O'Scannlain (9th Cir.), 7 - 76 y.o.
8. Reinhardt (9th Cir.), 7 - 82 y.o.
11. D. Ginsburg (D.C. Cir.), 6 - 66 y.o.
11. Gorsuch (10th Cir.), 6 + 1 Bristow - 45 y.o.
11. Calabresi (2d Cir.), 6 - 80 y.o.
11. Fletcher (9th Cir.), 6 + 1 Bristow - 67/68 y.o.
15. Posner (7th Cir.), 5 - 74 y.o.
15. J.R. Brown (D.C. Cir.), 5 - 63 y.o.
17. Boudin (1st Cir.), 4 + 1 Bristow - 73 y.o.
17. Randolph (D.C. Cir.), 4 + 1 Bristow - 69 y.o.
19. E. Jones (5th Cir.), 3 + 1 Bristow - 64 y.o.
19. Sentelle (D.C. Cir.), 3 - 70 y.o.
19. S. Williams (D.C. Cir.), 3 - 76/77 y.o.
22. Carnes (11th), 2 - 62 y.o.
22. Chagares (3d), 2 - 50/51 y.o.
22. Colloton (8th), 2 - 50 y.o.
22. Kethledge (6th), 2 + 2 Bristows - 46 y.o.
22. Leval (2d), 2 - 76/77 y.o.
22. Niemeyer (4th), 2 + 1 Bristow
22. Pryor (11th), 2
22. Sack (2d), 2
22. Scirica (3d), 2

Feeders of the future:

1. Garland (D.C. Cir.), 20 + 1 Bristow - 60 y.o.
2. Kavanaugh (D.C. Cir.), 18 + 1 Bristow - 48 y.o.
3. Wilkinson (4th Cir.), 14 + 2 Bristows - 68 y.o.
4. Kozinski (9th Cir.), 10 - 62 y.o.
4. Sutton (6th Cir.), 10 + 2 Bristows - 52 y.o.
6. Katzmann (2d Cir.), 9 - 59 y.o.
7. Griffith (D.C. Cir.), 7 - 58 y.o.
8. D. Ginsburg (D.C. Cir.), 6 - 66 y.o.
9. Gorsuch (10th Cir.), 6 + 1 Bristow - 45 y.o.
9. Fletcher (9th Cir.), 6 + 1 Bristow - 67/68 y.o.
11. J.R. Brown (D.C. Cir.), 5 - 63 y.o.
12. Randolph (D.C. Cir.), 4 + 1 Bristow - 69 y.o.
13. E. Jones (5th Cir.), 3 + 1 Bristow - 64 y.o.
14. Carnes (11th), 2 - 62 y.o.
14. Chagares (3d), 2 - 50/51 y.o.
14. Colloton (8th), 2 - 50 y.o.
14. Kethledge (6th), 2 + 2 Bristows - 46 y.o.

I wonder who else is up and coming and will join this list. Lots of talk here that Watford has the potential to be a feeder. It also seems that this list leans, reasonably heavily, towards conservative feeders with only a few prominent liberal feeders (Garland, Katzmann, Fletcher). And many of the conservative feeders are quite young, and have the potential to feed for a long time. Looks like there is room for liberal feeders to join this list, but it will be hard for too many more conservative feeders to join this list, as it is already pretty crowded. And there will probably be a couple Supreme Court openings that might shift the list as well, both because people on this list will be appointed, and because the new justices might hire from slightly different judges or otherwise have different hiring patterns.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.