Remainign Spots on OSCAR

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Geist13

Remainign Spots on OSCAR

Postby Geist13 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:32 pm

What do people think about spending time applying to the few remaining spots on OSCAR for the next clerkship term (beginning fall 2013)? I was not really competitive in the fall and didn't get any interviews. Since then, however, I've CALI'd federal courts and had my law review Note selected to be published. How much of a boost do those type of things have for someone who has a strong but generally not A. III level GPA (think top 20% at a T20). Are these remaining spots less competitive since the cycle is mostly over (the strong candidates got picked and most people aren't bothering anymore)?

theaccidentalclerk

Re: Remainign Spots on OSCAR

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 am

The main problem that you're going to run into is that most of the "open" spots on OSCAR from the past cycle have been filled -- chambers is just too lazy to log in and change the status. My guess is that for every four applications you send off, at least three of the spots will have been filled already.

There are off-cycle spots that open up fairly regularly (maybe a couple a week), but the vast majority of these are looking for alums. But you should apply unless it says experience is required. Also look outside of OSCAR -- spots are frequently posted on the main US Courts site, and if you are interested in specific districts, sometimes they're only posted on the district webpage.

Good luck!

legalese_retard

Re: Remainign Spots on OSCAR

Postby legalese_retard » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:52 pm

theaccidentalclerk wrote:The main problem that you're going to run into is that most of the "open" spots on OSCAR from the past cycle have been filled -- chambers is just too lazy to log in and change the status. My guess is that for every four applications you send off, at least three of the spots will have been filled already.

There are off-cycle spots that open up fairly regularly (maybe a couple a week), but the vast majority of these are looking for alums. But you should apply unless it says experience is required. Also look outside of OSCAR -- spots are frequently posted on the main US Courts site, and if you are interested in specific districts, sometimes they're only posted on the district webpage.

Good luck!

+1 Definitely check out uscourts.gov and the district court websites. I am a currently clerk and get emails about clerkship vacancies outside my district. Many of these positions are not on oscar or uscourts website. Though the competition may be less fierce for these positions, job openings this late in the cycle tend to require more experience.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”