2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 04/19/13

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ClerkAdvisor

Re: 2014/2015 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How can anyone be behind at this point? Are there 2Ls out there who have actually started sending apps already? I know it's getting very close to the time to send them, but I would have thought January was still slightly too early. Or, even if some people have sent some apps, I wouldn't think those of us planning to send them in February are behind exactly...am I wrong?

I know of a handful of circuit and district judges who have/are hiring. That said, the vast majority of hiring will likely still occur in the late Spring and early Summer. It's important to not feel panicked just because some people are out there interviewing/getting offers. I know people who have gotten great clerkships in January of their 2L year and in September of 3L year. The most important thing to do at this point is to get everything ready for you applications and to start sending stuff out once all your grades are in/law review executive board selections are done. And don't forget to keep working hard in school as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:24 pm

ClerkAdvisor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How can anyone be behind at this point? Are there 2Ls out there who have actually started sending apps already? I know it's getting very close to the time to send them, but I would have thought January was still slightly too early. Or, even if some people have sent some apps, I wouldn't think those of us planning to send them in February are behind exactly...am I wrong?

I know of a handful of circuit and district judges who have/are hiring. That said, the vast majority of hiring will likely still occur in the late Spring and early Summer. It's important to not feel panicked just because some people are out there interviewing/getting offers. I know people who have gotten great clerkships in January of their 2L year and in September of 3L year. The most important thing to do at this point is to get everything ready for you applications and to start sending stuff out once all your grades are in/law review executive board selections are done. And don't forget to keep working hard in school as well.

It should be pointed out that while more and more judges are moving off plan, the idea that the "vast majority of hiring" will be done by early summer is a bit misleading. There are still a great deal of judges on plan so those eager for a clerkship should understand that even if they fail to get anything early, there will be another huge wave in September.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 am

School range: T20
LR?: Yes, Editorial Board
Published?: Yes
Recs: Solid
2L/3L/Alum?: 3L
Where applying?: Circuit Courts
Any other factors: I'm doing a two-year D.Ct. clerkship somewhere in the 3d. Cir.

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 pm

Checking in.

School range: CCN (Transfer)
LR?: Secondary, Board elections in February but have a fighting chance for EIC or ME
Published?: Currently editing note for publication, likely wont be published until next year
Recs: 2 profs, 1 judge
2L/3L/Alum?: 2L
Where applying?: 2, 5, and (maybe) 10.

Always more cake.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:20 am

School range: MVPB
LR?: Secondary, non-board.
Published?: Yes.
Recs: 3 profs (research assistant for one, another was a faculty advisor for my note)
2L/3L/Alum?: Alum
Where applying?: COA and district courts in urban areas.
Any other factors: Currently a first year at a V50.

Any insight into what/where I might be competitive would be appreciated, though I understand as an alumni this is especially difficult to gauge.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:56 pm

3L with a district court clerkship for next year, just started applying for appellate clerkships for 2014. I'm also very interested in clerkship opportunities with international courts/domestic supreme courts outside of the U.S., if anyone has any info on those.

theaccidentalclerk

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:02 pm

I know a couple of people who clerked in different island nations in the South Pacific. They both really liked it. I think one of them had trouble finding a job back in the US after the clerkship, though.

hope&change

Postby hope&change » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:26 pm

School range: T14
LR?:Yes, ed-board
Published?:No
Recs: 3 profs, 2 employers, all strong and willing to call.
2L/3L/Alum?:3L
Where applying?: COA (DC/4/3)
Any other factors: Significant relevant work experience.
Last edited by hope&change on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:26 am

School range: Bottom of the T1 schools
LR?: Yes, e-board
Published?: Not yet
Recs: 1 very strong; 2 unknown
2L/3L/Alum?: 2L
Where applying?: A few 9th circuit where I might have connections through professors and my 2L summer firm, plus everything in my home state
Any other factors: I am going to ace this semester to make up for last one (saying this to force it to become true)

Any tips for figuring out who hires off plan and when? I have my list ready, I'm just not sure how to figure out what my deadlines are. My law school is completely useless in this area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Checking in as well!

School range: HS
Rank: Between top half and top third? (more Hs than Ps). Two class prize awards.
LR?: Nope. Was a secondary EIC, though.
Published?: 2 Articles, one in a top 100 journal. Hoping to swing another article this year.
Recs: 2 very strong, 1 mediocre. 1 prof willing to make a few calls
Where applying?: West coast district courts, probably 5-10 COA apps (grades are low, though...any chance?)
Any other factors: Limited by location to the west coast, mainly CA, NV, and OR. Want to go into academia (hence the publications). Any chance applying as an alum with good recs and pubs makes up for lower grades?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 pm

School range: T14
LR?: Y
Published?: Y
Recs: Three very strong recs from tenured professors who have clerked
Where applying?: Mostly D.C. Cir. and some other feeders for now. Not expecting a feeder judge though, so if nothing happens in the next two or three weeks, I'll apply much more broadly to other circuit court judges.
Any other factors: Clerking for a district court judge in 2013-2014.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Checking in as well!

Rank: Between top half and top third? (more Hs than Ps). Two class prize awards.
Published?: 2 Articles, one in a top 100 journal. Hoping to swing another article this year.
Where applying?: West coast district courts, probably 5-10 COA apps (grades are low, though...any chance?)
Any other factors: Limited by location to the west coast, mainly CA, NV, and OR. Want to go into academia (hence the publications). Any chance applying as an alum with good recs and pubs makes up for lower grades?

I would also be curious to know which COA judges in particular put less weight on grades than other factors. I've heard Paez on the Ninth is one such, but I can't be sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Checking in as well!

I tried to do something very similar to you.

Clerkship chances: I think that you'd be competitive with alum-only judges except maybe in ND Cal and SD Cal. The main problem that you'll have is that those two districts are super competitive, and the other West Coast districts aren't that big. I don't think you'll have a shot at COA. Maaaaaybe as a second clerkship out of a district one. But your grades just aren't competitive.

Academia: DANGER WILL ROBINSON. I struck out this year with two well-placed articles (one top 100 and one top 50), substantive and interesting practice experience, cum laude/honors/Stone from a T6 school, and a clerkship. The academic hiring market is just awful. Awful, awful, awful. Over half of the schools I interviewed with ended up not hiring entry-level people (they either cancelled their searches or hired laterals). I've heard reliable stories about Bigelows and Climenkos (who usually have multiple offers from great schools) struggling to get anything. And everyone I've talked to thinks that it's going to get worse before it gets better. Maybe catastrophically worse if more than a handful of schools close.

I'm not saying that academia can't or shouldn't be a goal. But understand that if you want to go down that route, you're going to need to write a lot more, and then you'll probably need a VAP/fellowship or PhD to even have a shot. So you're looking at a minimum of three years before you could go on the market, and probably more like four or five. And even then, it's probably only a chance, and not a particularly good one at that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Checking in as well!

I tried to do something very similar to you.

Clerkship chances: I think that you'd be competitive with alum-only judges except maybe in ND Cal and SD Cal. The main problem that you'll have is that those two districts are super competitive, and the other West Coast districts aren't that big. I don't think you'll have a shot at COA. Maaaaaybe as a second clerkship out of a district one. But your grades just aren't competitive.

Academia: DANGER WILL ROBINSON. I struck out this year with two well-placed articles (one top 100 and one top 50), substantive and interesting practice experience, cum laude/honors/Stone from a T6 school, and a clerkship. The academic hiring market is just awful. Awful, awful, awful. Over half of the schools I interviewed with ended up not hiring entry-level people (they either cancelled their searches or hired laterals). I've heard reliable stories about Bigelows and Climenkos (who usually have multiple offers from great schools) struggling to get anything. And everyone I've talked to thinks that it's going to get worse before it gets better. Maybe catastrophically worse if more than a handful of schools close.

I'm not saying that academia can't or shouldn't be a goal. But understand that if you want to go down that route, you're going to need to write a lot more, and then you'll probably need a VAP/fellowship or PhD to even have a shot. So you're looking at a minimum of three years before you could go on the market, and probably more like four or five. And even then, it's probably only a chance, and not a particularly good one at that.

Good advice on the clerkship front, that confirms a bit of what I thought. And I'm right there with you on the difficulties in academia hiring; it's more a pipe dream than a goal, but I may as well try and set myself up as best I can. Much, much appreciated :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School range: T14
Where applying?: Mostly D.C. Cir. and some other feeders for now. Not expecting a feeder judge though, so if nothing happens in the next two or three weeks, I'll apply much more broadly to other circuit court judges.

Why would you not expect a feeder? You have the stats for it. If you can get some professors who are connected on your side, you have a pretty good shot at at least a couple interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School range: T14

Hrm, I was in a similar boat and things worked out well for me. Don't really want to post my username up on here, but if you want some more targeted advice on situations like this, maybe put up your username or an email address and I will message you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:11 pm

FYI

Judge Diane P. Wood will begin accepting law clerk applications for the 2014-15 term from all applicants (including alumni and students regardless of graduation date) IMMEDIATELY.

Paper applications should include:
Cover Letter, including email address on the first page
Resume
Law School Transcript
Three Letters of Recommendation, either hard copy or by email
Writing Sample

Mailing address:
Judge Diane P. Wood
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
219 S. Dearborn Street, Suite 2688
Chicago, IL 60604-1818

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Judge Wood's post was on ND's symplicity. Curious to see where else she posted?

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Judge Wood's post was on ND's symplicity. Curious to see where else she posted?

It is on Oscar.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:38 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Judge Wood's post was on ND's symplicity. Curious to see where else she posted?

It is on Oscar.

Yeah I know, that's why I thought it was weird that it also showed up on our symplicity (and she doesn't want online apps).

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:41 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

It is on Oscar.

Yeah I know, that's why I thought it was weird that it also showed up on our symplicity (and she doesn't want online apps).

It was posted at BU, too. And our clerkship director made sure to send a FRANTIC e-mail to the clerkship mailing list soliciting apps, which is kind of funny given our abysmally poor placement stats in all AIII clerkships. Sort of like a dude hitting on a supermodel when he can't even bag ugly chicks.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm

nevdash wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

It is on Oscar.

It was posted at BU, too. And our clerkship director made sure to send a FRANTIC e-mail to the clerkship mailing list soliciting apps, which is kind of funny given our abysmally poor placement stats in all AIII clerkships. Sort of like a dude hitting on a supermodel when he can't even bag ugly chicks.

Hahaha. Very weird that it would be posted all over, she isn't likely to have trouble attracting applicants. She has at least hired from here before, so there's slight hope haha.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Is Wood competitive because she's a feeder, or because of location, or both?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:29 pm

Mostly location, I don't really think she's considered a feeder, but I could be wrong.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Maybe also holdover prestige from when she was strongly floated as a SCOTUS pick?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”