2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 04/19/13

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nevdash

Re: 2014/2015 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby nevdash » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:22 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
nevdash wrote:Hey dudes, checking in. Glad to see this new forum exists, and glad to see some familiar faces from Legal Employment.

School range: T30
Rank: Top 15% as of last year (though I copped dat 4.0 last semester, so fingers crossed for top 10% now)
LR?: Yeah; no e-board
Published?: Nope
Recs: COA judge for whom I externed, two profs
2L/3L/Alum?: 3L
Where applying?: COAs broadly
Any other factors: Beginning a two-year D.Ct. clerkship in a non-competitive Texas district next year, so applying for 2015. Hoping to clerk for the awesome judge who wrote one of my recs, but obviously not putting all my eggs in that basket.

We're in pretty similar situations, including 3L fall GPA. I am beginning to wish that my clerkship was two years, so I could start applying for 2015 already.

Yeah, it looks like it. Congrats on your grades last semester! It's hard not to mail it in as a 3L, but we have to keep our eyes on that sweet, succulent COA prize. Are you only applying for 2015 spots, or both 2014 and 2015? Should I be eyeing 2015 spots already? I was planning on applying a bit after I began in August so that I could maybe secure a rec from my judge. Would that be too late?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:28 pm

nevdash wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
nevdash wrote:Hey dudes, checking in. Glad to see this new forum exists, and glad to see some familiar faces from Legal Employment.

Rank: Top 15% as of last year (though I copped dat 4.0 last semester, so fingers crossed for top 10% now)
Any other factors: Beginning a two-year D.Ct. clerkship in a non-competitive Texas district next year, so applying for 2015. Hoping to clerk for the awesome judge who wrote one of my recs, but obviously not putting all my eggs in that basket.

We're in pretty similar situations, including 3L fall GPA. I am beginning to wish that my clerkship was two years, so I could start applying for 2015 already.

Yeah, it looks like it. Congrats on your grades last semester! It's hard not to mail it in as a 3L, but we have to keep our eyes on that sweet, succulent COA prize. Are you only applying for 2015 spots, or both 2014 and 2015? Should I be eyeing 2015 spots already? I was planning on applying a bit after I began in August so that I could maybe secure a rec from my judge. Would that be too late?

If I were in your situation, I would probably wait until this time next year when your judge could make some calls for you, especially if you want to stay within the Fifth Circuit. I think most of the judges hiring for 2015 right now are probably out of reach for people with our stats anyway, unfortunately. I would like to do a CoA clerkship eventually even if it's not in 2014, so I will probably eventually apply for 2015 if I strike out this time around.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:10 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
nevdash wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

If I were in your situation, I would probably wait until this time next year when your judge could make some calls for you, especially if you want to stay within the Fifth Circuit. I think most of the judges hiring for 2015 right now are probably out of reach for people with our stats anyway, unfortunately. I would like to do a CoA clerkship eventually even if it's not in 2014, so I will probably eventually apply for 2015 if I strike out this time around.

I actually don't want to stay in Texas (I only have ties to the coasts where my stats wouldn't be competitive, so I figured Texas was the next best place to live for a year or two), and I don't know how many calls my judge can make given that she was just appointed. But you're probably right, the more attainable judges will hire later anyway, so might as well wait for a rec.

Do you have a job lined up in case you have a gap year between the two?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:21 pm

nevdash wrote:I actually don't want to stay in Texas (I only have ties to the coasts where my stats wouldn't be competitive, so I figured Texas was the next best place to live for a year or two), and I don't know how many calls my judge can make given that she was just appointed. But you're probably right, the more attainable judges will hire later anyway, so might as well wait for a rec.

Nope, I worked state gov. last summer, had an offer to go back but obviously chose the clerkship. I'd be happy with either federal government or a firm in any of the places that I have ties, so I'm thinking that if the CoA search doesn't work out in the spring, I will probably do DOJ Honors and then apply to firms around this time next year.

What about you?

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:23 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
nevdash wrote:I actually don't want to stay in Texas (I only have ties to the coasts where my stats wouldn't be competitive, so I figured Texas was the next best place to live for a year or two), and I don't know how many calls my judge can make given that she was just appointed. But you're probably right, the more attainable judges will hire later anyway, so might as well wait for a rec.

Nope, I worked state gov. last summer, had an offer to go back but obviously chose the clerkship. I'd be happy with either federal government or a firm in any of the places that I have ties, so I'm thinking that if the CoA search doesn't work out in the spring, I will probably do DOJ Honors and then apply to firms around this time next year.

What about you?

Haha, once again, pretty much exactly the same thing (both working state gov last summer as well as career goals). What kind of fucked up world do we live in where we can get AIII clerkships but not firm jobs?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:40 pm

nevdash wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

What about you?

Haha, once again, pretty much exactly the same thing (both working state gov last summer as well as career goals). What kind of fucked up world do we live in where we can get AIII clerkships but not firm jobs?

Haha it's crazy, isn't it? I think for me it has a lot to do with that my personality makes clerkship interviews a lot easier and more fun than firm callbacks. Of course, eventually I'm going to have to do well at a callback, but in the short term that is how I feel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thinking I have <1% chance at a feeder

I'm not remotely in you position, but if I was and SCOTUS was a goal, I'd be applying hard to the Republican judges in the 10th, and then having anyone and everyone place calls to Eid on the Colorado Supreme Court. She's placed a couple of former clerks with Thomas (who she clerked with). Both went 10th-CSC-SCOTUS (maybe with a year or two of practice in there) if memory serves. And he certainly hires outside of HYS.

I'm pretty sure the Eid people went from CSC -> 10th -> SCOTUS, although I suppose there's no reason you couldn't do it the other way around. Also, Eid is incredibly nice.

That's an interesting plan. I'm not sure how well it would work given that I'm on the board of our student ACS chapter. Is that the kind of thing that you can/should leave off of a resume?

Looks like Gorsuch is a common thread for the Eid SCOTUS clerks. Anyone in here know about his hiring preferences?

ndirish2010 wrote:#1 at WUSTL should definitely land you something pretty good, congrats on those grades!

Thanks! Right now, just trying to figure out what "pretty good" means.

Moreover, there are a few on-plan judges that I'd really like to clerk for, but I feel like it's too risky to just pass on all the off-plan judges to wait for them. So basically, I'm just at sea right now.

-Bob Loblaw

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:48 pm

I've only recently decided to go for a clerkship (jumped from about top 25% to 15%) and I'm at a loss as to what I realistically should be shooting for. I have a meeting scheduled with our CSO clerkship advisor, but until then anyone have any thoughts? Open to advice on courses of action. Very limited, non-negotiable, in where I'm applying as noted below.

School: WUSTL
LR?: Secondary, wasn't planning on going for a board position...
Published?: Very possible, won't know for weeks
Recs: Associate General Counsel F100 (1L summer boss - strong rec), Legal Writing prof (strong rec), doctrinal prof (A's in two of his classes and a little mentoring for my note - strong but not very personalized rec probably)
2L/3L/Alum?: 2L
Where applying?: Virginia or NC district/4th COA and St. Louis district/8th COA (federal only)
Any other factors: 2L SA with V100, Moot Court, some other competitions, strong WE (non-legal)

- Han Solo
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Eid - I interviewed with her and managed to bash Sarah Palin and Michele Bachman within the first 10 minutes. She just laughed, and I didn't officially get an offer, but I got a call about 3 weeks later to check "if I was still interested in the position" (had just accepted something else, so I don't know for sure it was an offer coming, but it didn't rule me out).

Re: Gorsuch - the impression at my (local) school is that he's extremely pedigree conscious. Of course, we don't really differentiate among the T-14, as they are all well above us :P so make of that what you will (I think one of the Eid -> SCOTUS people was at Duke). He also may well have hired for 2014 already, as he's very off plan.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:04 pm

FWIW, I heard Gorsuch only looked at top 1% from my T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re: Eid - I interviewed with her and managed to bash Sarah Palin and Michele Bachman within the first 10 minutes. She just laughed, and I didn't officially get an offer, but I got a call about 3 weeks later to check "if I was still interested in the position" (had just accepted something else, so I don't know for sure it was an offer coming, but it didn't rule me out).

Re: Gorsuch - the impression at my (local) school is that he's extremely pedigree conscious. Of course, we don't really differentiate among the T-14, as they are all well above us :P so make of that what you will (I think one of the Eid -> SCOTUS people was at Duke). He also may well have hired for 2014 already, as he's very off plan.

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I heard Gorsuch only looked at top 1% from my T14.

Ah, well, figured as much. Thanks for the info, both of you.

-Bob Loblaw

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've only recently decided to go for a clerkship (jumped from about top 25% to 15%) and I'm at a loss as to what I realistically should be shooting for. I have a meeting scheduled with our CSO clerkship advisor, but until then anyone have any thoughts? Open to advice on courses of action. Very limited, non-negotiable, in where I'm applying as noted below.

Recs: Associate General Counsel F100 (1L summer boss - strong rec), Legal Writing prof (strong rec), doctrinal prof (A's in two of his classes and a little mentoring for my note - strong but not very personalized rec probably)
Where applying?: Virginia or NC district/4th COA and St. Louis district/8th COA (federal only)
Any other factors: 2L SA with V100, Moot Court, some other competitions, strong WE (non-legal)

- Han Solo

My general understanding of the strength of our placement power is that you're pretty much out for COA (absent some strong professor connection), and maybe 50/50 for some kind of district court.

Also, Rachel seems pretty on top of things, so hopefully she'll give you some good advice.

Congrats on the grades jump!

Bob Loblaw

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've only recently decided to go for a clerkship (jumped from about top 25% to 15%) and I'm at a loss as to what I realistically should be shooting for. I have a meeting scheduled with our CSO clerkship advisor, but until then anyone have any thoughts? Open to advice on courses of action. Very limited, non-negotiable, in where I'm applying as noted below.

- Han Solo

My general understanding of the strength of our placement power is that you're pretty much out for COA (absent some strong professor connection), and maybe 50/50 for some kind of district court.

Also, Rachel seems pretty on top of things, so hopefully she'll give you some good advice.

Bob Loblaw

Not 50/50 if s/he is only applying to the specified districts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My general understanding of the strength of our placement power is that you're pretty much out for COA (absent some strong professor connection), and maybe 50/50 for some kind of district court.

Bob Loblaw

Yeah this was my thinking regarding placement. I'll take it up with Rachel and see what she advises, glad to hear you got a good impression from her.

Thanks for the congrats and same to you on your stellar grades.

ndirish2010 wrote:Not 50/50 if s/he is only applying to the specified districts.

Are you saying better or worse? Assume legit ties to all districts specified.

- Han Solo

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Worse. The odds of getting any one clerkship are so low that if you only apply to 3 or 4 districts, even if they are your home districts, you are unlikely to get one. This doesn't mean that you won't get one, just that the numbers are not in your favor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Worse. The odds of getting any one clerkship are so low that if you only apply to 3 or 4 districts, even if they are your home districts, you are unlikely to get one. This doesn't mean that you won't get one, just that the numbers are not in your favor.

Makes sense, thanks.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Checking in from Northwestern.

We just hired the head of the clerkship program from Texas and they're implementing a very structured program for advising and steering our applications.

I'll probably be applying to N.D. Ill, 7th Cir, Cook county, maybe Wisconsin and Minnesota fed courts. Probably also back home in OKC and Tulsa and maybe 10th Cir.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:21 pm

School: Harvard
LR?: Secondary board position
Published?: No
Recs: 3 profs. All so-so
2L/3L/Alum?: Alum
Where applying?: SDNY/EDNY/DNJ
Any other factors: 2 years WE in gov't
Interviews: 3 (1 SDNY, 1 EDNY)
Offer: EDNY (first interview, accepted on the spot)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:17 am

Flips88 wrote:Checking in from Northwestern.

We just hired the head of the clerkship program from Texas and they're implementing a very structured program for advising and steering our applications.

I'll probably be applying to N.D. Ill, 7th Cir, Cook county, maybe Wisconsin and Minnesota fed courts. Probably also back home in OKC and Tulsa and maybe 10th Cir.

Kadens was awesome! Congrats.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Checking in from Northwestern.

Kadens was awesome! Congrats.

Good to hear. She seems to know what she is doing very well.

If you've been at UT long enough, what was your opinion of Dean Rodriguez?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:48 am

LeDique wrote:Welp. I'm behind.

Same

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:51 am

How can anyone be behind at this point? Are there 2Ls out there who have actually started sending apps already? I know it's getting very close to the time to send them, but I would have thought January was still slightly too early. Or, even if some people have sent some apps, I wouldn't think those of us planning to send them in February are behind exactly...am I wrong?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:52 am

Anyone know of a good "intro to clerkships" resource?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:How can anyone be behind at this point? Are there 2Ls out there who have actually started sending apps already? I know it's getting very close to the time to send them, but I would have thought January was still slightly too early. Or, even if some people have sent some apps, I wouldn't think those of us planning to send them in February are behind exactly...am I wrong?

seeing as a number of us don't have all our grades from last semester yet, LR elections haven't generally finished yet, and publication offers will be coming out for a number of journals soon, I'd say you're not behind at this point.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How can anyone be behind at this point? Are there 2Ls out there who have actually started sending apps already? I know it's getting very close to the time to send them, but I would have thought January was still slightly too early. Or, even if some people have sent some apps, I wouldn't think those of us planning to send them in February are behind exactly...am I wrong?

I don't think you should be feeling behind. The only 2Ls who have started applying are those who were tapped by professors last semester to send applications to the few super-competitive CoA judges who were looking very early. For the vast majority of 2L clerkship applicants, it's still too early to be sending stuff in.

That said, with things moving faster than ever this year, if I was a 2L, I'd be getting my shit together now so that I could be ready to send it out in the next few months, in case I caught wind of judges beginning to interview 2Ls.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”