2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 04/19/13

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
TatteredDignity

Re: 2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 02/25/13

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:39 pm

ph14 wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:For those of you mailing out paper apps and who are using a recommender from outside your school, how are you going about that? I'm getting a letter from a partner who I worked under at my summer firm. Should I have him give me 100 or letters in sealed envelopes, or should I give his secretary my list of judges and have her mail them separately?

Can you ask one of your recommenders if you could have the partner send the letter to his/her assistant so they can be packaged and mailed together?

I like that idea. The only issue is that my school has made it very clear that they won't "process" outside letters. I think my profs wouldn't mind, but the main administrative assistant who does the mail merge and sends them out would probably say no. But I'll give it a shot.

forza wrote:This is what I'm doing. Chances are, as in my case, that the partner's secretary will also mail merge the judges' names and chambers addresses if you send her a list.

And you're just trying to line up the timing with your own personal mailing? Glad to hear someone else has taken this approach. Thanks!

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:41 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
ph14 wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:For those of you mailing out paper apps and who are using a recommender from outside your school, how are you going about that? I'm getting a letter from a partner who I worked under at my summer firm. Should I have him give me 100 or letters in sealed envelopes, or should I give his secretary my list of judges and have her mail them separately?

Can you ask one of your recommenders if you could have the partner send the letter to his/her assistant so they can be packaged and mailed together?

I like that idea. The only issue is that my school has made it very clear that they won't "process" outside letters. I think my profs wouldn't mind, but the main administrative assistant who does the mail merge and sends them out would probably say no. But I'll give it a shot.

forza wrote:This is what I'm doing. Chances are, as in my case, that the partner's secretary will also mail merge the judges' names and chambers addresses if you send her a list.

And you're just trying to line up the timing with your own personal mailing? Glad to hear someone else has taken this approach. Thanks!

I don't think the timing issue is a huge deal. Your letters can arrive later. It could be problematic if they came earlier though but they might just start a file for you.
Last edited by ph14 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:41 pm

ph14 wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
ph14 wrote:

I don't think the timing issue is a huge deal. Your letters can arrive later. It would probably be problematic if they came earlier though but they might just start a file for you.

Good point.

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:47 pm

What do you guys think about waiting to send in apps to off-plan district court judges in order to wait for (1) journal publication decisions (should be around March 25) and/or (2) registration for 3L classes (to show that I'm taking fed courts, crim pro, etc.) (should be around April 8)? Worth it? Or send stuff once all my letters are processed (next week or two, hopefully), then update as needed?

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:48 pm

haha that second date would be April 8. thank you auto emoticon correct.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:56 pm

jackattack17 wrote:What do you guys think about waiting to send in apps to off-plan district court judges in order to wait for (1) journal publication decisions (should be around March 25) and/or (2) registration for 3L classes (to show that I'm taking fed courts, crim pro, etc.) (should be around April 8)? Worth it? Or send stuff once all my letters are processed (next week or two, hopefully), then update as needed?

(1) could be material, (2) is very likely not. Getting a note or comment published is something nice to have on your resume, but I really doubt that having proof of your Fall 2013 registration for Federal Courts will get you any interviews that you wouldn't already be getting. Maybe the judge will want to know about your classes if/when it comes to the interview stage, but I can't imagine that it is worth waiting for -- especially if you remember that other applicants will be sending in their materials in the meantime.

Also, if you get word that a judge you're interested is looking before you find out about the publication stuff, definitely don't wait.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:06 pm

jackattack17 wrote:What do you guys think about waiting to send in apps to off-plan district court judges in order to wait for (1) journal publication decisions (should be around March 25) and/or (2) registration for 3L classes (to show that I'm taking fed courts, crim pro, etc.) (should be around April 8)? Worth it? Or send stuff once all my letters are processed (next week or two, hopefully), then update as needed?

I assume you mean the judges with deadlines in June and July. I was planning on waiting until April for those in June and June for those in July. I'm open to correction if that's a bad idea.

forza

Postby forza » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:29 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:

As other posters said, timing isn't a huge issue. But I still plan to send everything out together because the partner's secretary is lightning fast getting sealed envelopes to me--my school's clerkship office, not so much.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:39 pm

As long as I'm asking questions...

How does it work for clerkship applicants to use one clerkship as a springboard to a better one for the very next cycle? E.g., say a 2L lands a D.Ct. clerkship for this year, but they aren't competitive for COA, but then they use that clerkship to line up a COA clerkship for the next cycle. I've heard of this happening, and I always assumed that the recommendation of the first judge makes the difference in snagging the more competitive judge. But by the time that 2L needs to apply for the next cycle, they're still only a 3L and haven't even clerked for the first judge.

I can think of two things: 1) the first judge is willing to recommend/make a call for the candidate without having seen her work product, or 2) the COA judge is more willing to take a shot on the candidate because she'll have had clerking experience by the time she starts with the 2nd judge. But I don't know if either of those is right.

forza

Postby forza » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:41 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:As long as I'm asking questions...

How does it work for clerkship applicants to use one clerkship as a springboard to a better one for the very next cycle? E.g., say a 2L lands a D.Ct. clerkship for this year, but they aren't competitive for COA, but then they use that clerkship to line up a COA clerkship for the next cycle. I've heard of this happening, and I always assumed that the recommendation of the first judge makes the difference in snagging the more competitive judge. But by the time that 2L needs to apply for the next cycle, they're still only a 3L and haven't even clerked for the first judge.

I can think of two things: 1) the first judge is willing to recommend/make a call for the candidate without having seen her work product, or 2) the COA judge is more willing to take a shot on the candidate because she'll have had clerking experience by the time she starts with the 2nd judge. But I don't know if either of those is right.

I'm hanging my hat on #2, for what it's worth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:57 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:As long as I'm asking questions...

#2 is what happened for me. Not sure how applicable it is because I went from state to federal district, rather than district to COA, but the first clerkship was definitely part of getting the second (the judge said so).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about the 4th Circuit generally?

It seems that a disproportionate amount of the judges there are "You have to clerk/work for a year before consideration" or "only consider 3Ls" or two-year terms.

I know that Gregory, Motz, and Niemeyer don't have that rule--I personally know several of their clerks who started immediately after graduation and applied as 2Ls. I believe the same is true of Davis and Wilkinson, although I'm not certain.

Thanks for this! Looks like my information may be bad then--I was told that one of the Judges that you're sure about only takes 3L or alumni apps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:48 am

I've run into a deadline issue and could use some input... I should have everything ready to send out ~30 apps by Friday, but I'm waiting to hear back from about 6 alums that I e-mailed earlier in the week. I have very borderline stats for COA's, so I feel like I need to make at least a semi-compelling case in as many cover letters as I can (or hope that the alums will reach out on my behalf). Does anybody think waiting another 4 business days (till next Wednesday) will make much of a difference? TYIA!

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've run into a deadline issue and could use some input... I should have everything ready to send out ~30 apps by Friday, but I'm waiting to hear back from about 6 alums that I e-mailed earlier in the week. I have very borderline stats for COA's, so I feel like I need to make at least a semi-compelling case in as many cover letters as I can (or hope that the alums will reach out on my behalf). Does anybody think waiting another 4 business days (till next Wednesday) will make much of a difference? TYIA!

What are you waiting to hear from them about, and how it will it affect your application? Seems like anything they can do can be done after your materials are out. Hard to say how much it will hurt you to wait until next Wednesday because it depends on the judge, but it most definitely could hurt. Interviews are taking place every day. Every day that goes by diminishes your chances. I would send your stuff out as quickly as you can.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:58 am

dixon02 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've run into a deadline issue and could use some input... I should have everything ready to send out ~30 apps by Friday, but I'm waiting to hear back from about 6 alums that I e-mailed earlier in the week. I have very borderline stats for COA's, so I feel like I need to make at least a semi-compelling case in as many cover letters as I can (or hope that the alums will reach out on my behalf). Does anybody think waiting another 4 business days (till next Wednesday) will make much of a difference? TYIA!

What are you waiting to hear from them about, and how it will it affect your application? Seems like anything they can do can be done after your materials are out. Hard to say how much it will hurt you to wait until next Wednesday because it depends on the judge, but it most definitely could hurt. Interviews are taking place every day. Every day that goes by diminishes your chances. I would send your stuff out as quickly as you can.

I agree time delays can hurt, but it's unpredictable whether they will or won't. If you've heard a judge is interviewing, expediency is key.

But, there is a lot that can be done before submitting an application. In fact, talking to a former clerk before submitting is, in my opinion, much more effective before you've submitted. Judges are so idiosyncratic. Knowing whether a judge likes a cover letter to address a particular issue or likes to see certain types of writing samples is incredibly valuable. It can be the difference between automatic discard and an interview. If you have heard those specific judges are interviewing, I don't think it's worth the wait.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:27 pm

School range: Outside top 100
LR?: Yes, on E-Board
Published?: Yes
Recs: Pretty good.
2L/3L/Alum?: 2L
Where applying?: Everywhere
Any other factors: Previously in/externed for a circuit judge and bankruptcy judge

Is the list at the front of the forum up to date for judge that have completed hiring for 2014?

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Per OSCAR, Griffith filled his 2014 slot and has opened an application for 2015.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:Per OSCAR, Griffith filled his 2014 slot and has opened an application for 2015.

OP updated.

Anonymous User

Re: 2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 02/28/13

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Per OSCAR, Fletcher has one spot left for 2014 (which I take to mean that he has already hired three clerks).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Per OSCAR, Fletcher has one spot left for 2014 (which I take to mean that he has already hired three clerks).

I'm so fucking far behind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Per OSCAR, Fletcher has one spot left for 2014 (which I take to mean that he has already hired three clerks).

Do we know that he updated his OSCAR page or keeps it up to date?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Do we know that he updated his OSCAR page or keeps it up to date?

It was updated yesterday, so it's probably current.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Ikuta is full per Oscar.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Ikuta is full per Oscar.

OP updated.

Anonymous User

Re: 2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 03/01/13

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:58 pm

School range: MVP
LR?: Secondary journal - e-board
Published?: No
Recs: Four professor recommendations - three will be strong, as I've RA'd and TA'd for those professors; AIII judge as reference on CL (I was an intern last summer)
2L/3L/Alum?: 2L
Where applying?: Mostly mid-atlantic - only district court
Any other factors: fairly strong resume (college athletics); professor willing to make calls

I'm curious how competitive of a clerkship candidate I am for district court, how broadly I should be applying, and when I should be sending out applications... I've heard that the circuits are moving now, but I've heard nothing about district courts. I have all of my recommendations, but I haven't done anything with CARS/OSCAR at this point. What do I need to be doing right now? Any help / advice is appreciated.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”