2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 04/19/13 Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 02/21/13

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:10 pm

I think I asked this before, but I didn't get a ton of responses so I'm asking again. I am a transfer student who did well at my new school and will be applying for federal clerkships. Should I apply now or apply as soon as spring grades post? I don't want to apply now and simply not be competitive with only one semester of grades at my new school, but I also don't want to wait too long to apply and hurt my chances that way. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Is it weird (or at least pointless) to re-apply to a CoA judge who didn't hire me after an interview last year? Would still love to clerk for him, and have since then secured a D. Ct. clerkship for '13. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I asked this before, but I didn't get a ton of responses so I'm asking again. I am a transfer student who did well at my new school and will be applying for federal clerkships. Should I apply now or apply as soon as spring grades post? I don't want to apply now and simply not be competitive with only one semester of grades at my new school, but I also don't want to wait too long to apply and hurt my chances that way. Thanks!
I wouldn't let your transfer status have any impact at all. You should apply whenever those judges are receiving applications. Many circuits are hiring right now; if you wait for spring grades, you will literally have a 0% chance with some judges who are already completely full. Send your stuff now. If you do not hear anything and the judge is still hiring when spring grades come out, then update your application.

madame defarge

New

Post by madame defarge » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it weird (or at least pointless) to re-apply to a CoA judge who didn't hire me after an interview last year? Would still love to clerk for him, and have since then secured a D. Ct. clerkship for '13. Thanks.
It wouldn't be weird if the judge signaled to you that he was still interested but just couldn't hire you for that term (e.g., asked you to keep him posted on your clerkship search/post-grad plans). But if you got a flat-out rejection, then it probably means that the judge has made up his mind and won't consider you in the future. Of course, it doesn't hurt to reapply with an update about your district court clerkship, but if a judge is really interested, he will try to keep tabs on you. For example, the COA judge I clerked for asked people who barely missed the cut to let him know if they got any offers from other judges.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:19 pm

madame defarge wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it weird (or at least pointless) to re-apply to a CoA judge who didn't hire me after an interview last year? Would still love to clerk for him, and have since then secured a D. Ct. clerkship for '13. Thanks.
It wouldn't be weird if the judge signaled to you that he was still interested but just couldn't hire you for that term (e.g., asked you to keep him posted on your clerkship search/post-grad plans). But if you got a flat-out rejection, then it probably means that the judge has made up his mind and won't consider you in the future. Of course, it doesn't hurt to reapply with an update about your district court clerkship, but if a judge is really interested, he will try to keep tabs on you. For example, the COA judge I clerked for asked people who barely missed the cut to let him know if they got any offers from other judges.
I'll disagree. I received a flat out rejection from a one judge I applied to [EDIT: an interviewed with]. I ran into her the other day at our school, she stopped me, asked how things were going, and told me to re-apply for the following year if I was still interested. If I hadn't have run into the judge, there's no way I would know that she was still interested.

Point is, I don't think you can interpret a judge's rejection without further comment as an indication that the judge doesn't ever want to hire you.
Last edited by Citizen Genet on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:25 pm

I think there's no harm, and potentially a lot to gain. I know someone who got a really really great clerkship, but only after the second round. Was rejected the first time.

ph14

Gold

Re: 2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 02/23/13

Post by ph14 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Updates:
D.C. Cir.: Garland, Kavanaugh, Tatel finished hiring for 2014.
11th Cir.: Marcus taking applications.

Edit: 11th Cir.: Jordan has filled 2 spots and accepting applications for the remaining 2 spots.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Any news on whether Pryor (11th) is full for 2014?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:24 pm

I think Pryor is still hiring, but I don't know if he's hired anyone yet.

Anonymous User

Re: 2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 02/12/13

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
forza wrote:So is there any consensus on when to send CoA apps? If they're ready to go now, should we send now?
Yes.
Sorry if this is obvious, but does that count 2nd Circuit as well? Aside from the judges who are full based on applications from last year, it sounds like the others are still (at this point, anyway) waiting...should I be waiting as well, or moving? Our clerkship director said to hold off on 2nd Circuit but she has absolutely no credibility with me.

Ugh, wish I had found this resource before right now. I'm not applying widely outside of the 2nd Circuit, but I wish I hadn't been consistently fed misinformation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
forza wrote:So is there any consensus on when to send CoA apps? If they're ready to go now, should we send now?
Yes.
Sorry if this is obvious, but does that count 2nd Circuit as well? Aside from the judges who are full based on applications from last year, it sounds like the others are still (at this point, anyway) waiting...should I be waiting as well, or moving? Our clerkship director said to hold off on 2nd Circuit but she has absolutely no credibility with me.

Ugh, wish I had found this resource before right now. I'm not applying widely outside of the 2nd Circuit, but I wish I hadn't been consistently fed misinformation.
If you are unsure about any of them, just call chambers and ask if they are receiving applications. You do not even need to identify yourself, just say you are a second year law student (you can say the school if you want) and ask the question.

That said, unless you have affirmatively heard that they are NOT accepting applications, I'd get 'em out. Circuits are hiring, period, the 2nd Circuit especially. The reason so many are full is because the 2nd has been focusing on alumni and 3Ls with district court clerkships already lined up for several years now, so many of these judges were full or close to it before the plan even died. Especially if you are talking about anyone in a city (this includes EDNY and SDNY too), get your stuff out yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Great, SDNY and EDNY too? My school's (CCN) clerkship office is the worst.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes.

If you are unsure about any of them, just call chambers and ask if they are receiving applications. You do not even need to identify yourself, just say you are a second year law student (you can say the school if you want) and ask the question.

That said, unless you have affirmatively heard that they are NOT accepting applications, I'd get 'em out. Circuits are hiring, period, the 2nd Circuit especially. The reason so many are full is because the 2nd has been focusing on alumni and 3Ls with district court clerkships already lined up for several years now, so many of these judges were full or close to it before the plan even died. Especially if you are talking about anyone in a city (this includes EDNY and SDNY too), get your stuff out yesterday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:00 am

I think Pryor is full (heard from current clerk).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:48 am

Not sure who the last poster spoke to, but according to Pryor's chambers this morning, he's not full yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes.

Is it still legitimate to contact them even if the OSCAR page says to not contact chambers? Of course the Second Circuit judges don't have phone numbers, does anyone know a compilation of them? Livid at how crappy this entire process has been.

ph14

Gold

Re: 2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 02/25/13

Post by ph14 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:03 pm

OP Updated:
2014-15 Term: Ginsburg - presumably done
2015-16 Term: Ginsburg - accepting applications for a clerkship to begin January 2015. Interest and background in antitrust/economics preferred. Send in all materials requested in the OSCAR post.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Is it still legitimate to contact them even if the OSCAR page says to not contact chambers? Of course the Second Circuit judges don't have phone numbers, does anyone know a compilation of them? Livid at how crappy this entire process has been.
Many schools subscribe to the Judicial Yellowpages. It's probably hiding somewhere on your school's website. If not, ask your school's clerkship office (they should at least be able to tell you that, I would think). Personally, I would contact chambers unless a judge has explicitly said not to contact chambers and that was posted since the DC Circuit's announcement. I'm just a law student though, so if current clerks want to weigh in I would obviously heed their advice over mine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure who the last poster spoke to, but according to Pryor's chambers this morning, he's not full yet.
Thanks, do you know if he has made offers yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:49 am

Anyone know anything about the 4th Circuit generally?

It seems that a disproportionate amount of the judges there are "You have to clerk/work for a year before consideration" or "only consider 3Ls" or two-year terms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:27 pm

School range: CCN
LR?: No, secondary journal.
Published?: Will be by time of plan, but not officially accepted.
Recs: 3 moderately strong recs from professors.
2L/3L/Alum?: 2L
Where applying?: Less competitive circuits, avoiding DC, 2nd, & 7th entirely.

Just sent my first five CoA applications today. Will throw some long-shot apps out until the summer and then give up and go to the districts. Good luck to everyone!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about the 4th Circuit generally?

It seems that a disproportionate amount of the judges there are "You have to clerk/work for a year before consideration" or "only consider 3Ls" or two-year terms.
I know that Gregory, Motz, and Niemeyer don't have that rule--I personally know several of their clerks who started immediately after graduation and applied as 2Ls. I believe the same is true of Davis and Wilkinson, although I'm not certain.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:08 pm

For those of you mailing out paper apps and who are using a recommender from outside your school, how are you going about that? I'm getting a letter from a partner who I worked under at my summer firm. Should I have him give me 100 or letters in sealed envelopes, or should I give his secretary my list of judges and have her mail them separately?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:12 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:For those of you mailing out paper apps and who are using a recommender from outside your school, how are you going about that? I'm getting a letter from a partner who I worked under at my summer firm. Should I have him give me 100 or letters in sealed envelopes, or should I give his secretary my list of judges and have her mail them separately?
Can you ask one of your recommenders if you could have the partner send the letter to his/her assistant so they can be packaged and mailed together?

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:23 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:For those of you mailing out paper apps and who are using a recommender from outside your school, how are you going about that? I'm getting a letter from a partner who I worked under at my summer firm. Should I have him give me 100 or letters in sealed envelopes, or should I give his secretary my list of judges and have her mail them separately?
This is what I'm doing. Chances are, as in my case, that the partner's secretary will also mail merge the judges' names and chambers addresses if you send her a list.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”