2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 04/19/13

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jessuf

Re: 2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 02/12/13

Postby jessuf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anon above. Keep in mind that the published graduation cutoffs include two years, not one year, of non-1L grades (which are typically inflated from 1L) and that last year's average 1L cutoffs were higher than the year before.

Also, I agree on the clerkship chart, but keep in mind that the chart isn't "what percent of people in this GPA range got a clerkship of this type" but rather "what percent of people who got a clerkship of this type were in this GPA range." I hope that makes sense.

Hmm, yeah, that's true (regarding your first point). Does GULC publish cut-offs for 1Ls/2Ls anywhere?

And yes, I understand the chart. I wish it was further broken down or if there was more data on who went where, which judges like GULC students, etc. on that site.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:51 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anon above. Keep in mind that the published graduation cutoffs include two years, not one year, of non-1L grades (which are typically inflated from 1L) and that last year's average 1L cutoffs were higher than the year before.

Also, I agree on the clerkship chart, but keep in mind that the chart isn't "what percent of people in this GPA range got a clerkship of this type" but rather "what percent of people who got a clerkship of this type were in this GPA range." I hope that makes sense.

Hmm, yeah, that's true (regarding your first point). Does GULC publish cut-offs for 1Ls/2Ls anywhere?

And yes, I understand the chart. I wish it was further broken down or if there was more data on who went where, which judges like GULC students, etc. on that site.

If you look on Symplicity, you can filter by judges that have hired GULC students (and it usually tells you how many, who, and their contact info).

Some research on historical cutoffs: http://imgur.com/blaRifi

Source data here: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/campus-se ... utoffs.cfm

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you look on Symplicity, you can filter by judges that have hired GULC students (and it usually tells you how many, who, and their contact info).

Some research on historical cutoffs: http://imgur.com/blaRifi

Source data here: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/campus-se ... utoffs.cfm

awesome.. thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Does anyone know of any sources for looking up historic hiring criteria for magistrates? My school groups district court and magistrates together. I'm trying to figure out what kind of GPA/rank is competitive. Or conversely, does anyone know what kind of GPA/rank is competitive from GULC for a magistrate judge? We aren't given exact ranks, but median is 3.3, top third is 3.55, and top 10% is 3.74.

How do you know those cutoffs? I thought we "don't rank."

GULC does "rank" the top 5%. It's not public, but if you're in that group, you're notified by the dean and the registrar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:15 pm

School range: CCN
LR?: Yes
Published?: No. Maybe trying.
Recs: 3 profs.
2L/3L/Alum?: 2L
Where applying?: First focusing on Republican appointees on 5/7/8/9/10, then possibly Dist Cts. Have 10 COA apps sent out there recently and sending others as they are listed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Does anyone know of any sources for looking up historic hiring criteria for magistrates? My school groups district court and magistrates together. I'm trying to figure out what kind of GPA/rank is competitive. Or conversely, does anyone know what kind of GPA/rank is competitive from GULC for a magistrate judge? We aren't given exact ranks, but median is 3.3, top third is 3.55, and top 10% is 3.74.

How do you know those cutoffs? I thought we "don't rank."

GULC does "rank" the top 5%. It's not public, but if you're in that group, you're notified by the dean and the registrar.

I'm aware, I was just wondering how she knew those three cutoffs.

ClerkAdvisor

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School range: CCN
LR?: Yes
Published?: No. Maybe trying.
Recs: 3 profs.
2L/3L/Alum?: 2L
Where applying?: First focusing on Republican appointees on 5/7/8/9/10, then possibly Dist Cts. Have 10 COA apps sent out there recently and sending others as they are listed.

This strikes me as an odd selection of circuits. If you're applying to the 5th, why not the 11th? If you're applying to 7th and 8th, why not 6th? And I can understand wanting to avoid NYC and Boston, but why not apply to the 4th?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:56 pm

If I am already clerking for a judge that feeds to the SC occasionally, does not publishing my note end any (admittedly already small but still existing) chances of clerkship for SCOTUS?

KindleNexusfan

Postby KindleNexusfan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:10 pm

HLS clerkship office hasn't posted any new judges in at least a week. Has movement stopped or are they just off the ball?

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:50 pm

KindleNexusfan wrote:HLS clerkship office hasn't posted any new judges in at least a week. Has movement stopped or are they just off the ball?

They're off the ball. I've received OSCAR emails with new positions every day for the past few weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Does anyone have info about how/when Justice Liu on the CA supreme court hires and what kind of credentials he's looking for?

Relatedly, does anyone have an opinion on the value of a clerkship with him as compared to any random COA clerkship? He's obviously a rising star (and I'm liberal, so even better), but I'm afraid the credential wouldn't go as far just because of the court on which he sits. For example, I'd like to do appellate litigation at either a boutique or something like Jones Day, and I don't know if that credential would be equally helpful as a generic COA clerkship.

On the other hand, I've heard he prefers to hire people coming off COA clerkships, so maybe this concern is moot.

Transient2

Postby Transient2 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:16 pm

nevdash wrote:
KindleNexusfan wrote:HLS clerkship office hasn't posted any new judges in at least a week. Has movement stopped or are they just off the ball?

They're off the ball. I've received OSCAR emails with new positions every day for the past few weeks.

So, I agree they seem off the ball. But some OSCAR emails haven't specified that judges are accepting apps from 2Ls. Seems like there's still that extra step of calling chambers to verify whether paper (from a 2L) is kosher in those circumstances, no?

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Transient2 wrote:
nevdash wrote:

So, I agree they seem off the ball. But some OSCAR emails haven't specified that judges are accepting apps from 2Ls. Seems like there's still that extra step of calling chambers to verify whether paper (from a 2L) is kosher in those circumstances, no?

Ah, you're right. Since I'm only looking as an alum, I didn't really think about that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For example, I'd like to do appellate litigation at either a boutique or something like Jones Day, and I don't know if that credential would be equally helpful as a generic COA clerkship.

I can't comment on the comparative value of the two but, just so you know, people with "generic COA clerkship[s]" aren't getting into Jones Day's Issues and Appeals group these days, at least in the D.C. office. It is almost entirely former SCOTUS clerks with a few people from solid feeders who didn't quite make SCOTUS.

If you look at some of the mid-level and senior associates in the D.C. office, some of them got into the I&A group with a random COA clerkship. But I&A standards have gone up of late. For example, out of the last class to finish their SCOTUS clerkships, Jones Day hired six of them (five in the D.C. office alone) which was the most of any firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have info about how/when Justice Liu on the CA supreme court hires and what kind of credentials he's looking for?

Relatedly, does anyone have an opinion on the value of a clerkship with him as compared to any random COA clerkship? He's obviously a rising star (and I'm liberal, so even better), but I'm afraid the credential wouldn't go as far just because of the court on which he sits. For example, I'd like to do appellate litigation at either a boutique or something like Jones Day, and I don't know if that credential would be equally helpful as a generic COA clerkship.

On the other hand, I've heard he prefers to hire people coming off COA clerkships, so maybe this concern is moot.

I have some info on this. Post your name and I'll PM you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For example, I'd like to do appellate litigation at either a boutique or something like Jones Day, and I don't know if that credential would be equally helpful as a generic COA clerkship.

I can't comment on the comparative value of the two but, just so you know, people with "generic COA clerkship[s]" aren't getting into Jones Day's Issues and Appeals group these days, at least in the D.C. office. It is almost entirely former SCOTUS clerks with a few people from solid feeders who didn't quite make SCOTUS.

If you look at some of the mid-level and senior associates in the D.C. office, some of them got into the I&A group with a random COA clerkship. But I&A standards have gone up of late. For example, out of the last class to finish their SCOTUS clerkships, Jones Day hired six of them (five in the D.C. office alone) which was the most of any firm.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have used one of the most prestigious appellate groups as an example. But thanks for the info -- I really had no idea things have become so competitive. Surely there are still appellate groups out there for whom a flyover-type COA clerkship would be a boost, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have used one of the most prestigious appellate groups as an example. But thanks for the info -- I really had no idea things have become so competitive. Surely there are still appellate groups out there for whom a flyover-type COA clerkship would be a boost, right?

I would think so but I don't know. My exposure is limited. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Why is the JD I&A group so selective? What do they offer that other appeals groups or boutiques don't? It seems to me that working for a strong boutique is much preferable to most COA/SCOTUS types than in biglaw, but maybe I'm missing something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have info about how/when Justice Liu on the CA supreme court hires and what kind of credentials he's looking for?

Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

That's pretty disheartening. So even someone from HYS w/LR and publication would be up a creek if they didn't have feeder grades and just got a "random" COA?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. [] is my name. Posted anon so I can scrub later.

Can I piggyback on this? [] is my username.

Can I get a PM too? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by piccolittle on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's pretty disheartening. So even someone from HYS w/LR and publication would be up a creek if they didn't have feeder grades and just got a "random" COA?

"Up a creek" is pretty strong. I'm pretty confident that the vast majority of HLS LR COA clerks are doing just fine. Not everyone can get JD I&A...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Where did this whole "the Second Circuit is all done hiring" business come from? I thought 2nd circuit COA judges are pretty much sticking to the hiring plan? Are judges like Sack, Lohier, and Lynch done because they hired 2Ls already or because the filled up all their spots with 3Ls, alums, and deferred hires?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:28 am

Does it make sense to put a subject line on paper applications? I was thinking something like "Clerkship Application" (in big and small caps 8) ) at the top of the envelope. Professors do that for letters of recommendations at our school. I'd like that if I was getting receiving an application, but I don't want to give them a reason to just put it aside.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”