2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 04/19/13

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ClerkAdvisor

Re: 2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 02/12/13

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are only circuit courts going early? I'm probably more on the district court / state supreme court boat

School range: MVPB
LR?: No. Secondary journal.
Published?: Yes.
Recs: 1 mediocre from big name professor, 1 really good one from a lesser known professor, 1 glowing one from 1L employer.
2L/3L/Alum?: 2L
Where applying?: 5th, 11th, 4th Cir. District Courts.

Some district court judges will hire very early, some will hire early, and others will be closer to the plan or still on-plan. State supreme courts generally follow their own timelines, which tend to be late spring/early summer. And top 25% at MVPB will probably be a reach for most district court judges (so, you should apply very broadly).
Last edited by ClerkAdvisor on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:32 am

Taggedy tag tag.

I'll be updating with info and my apps soon. I'm glad this thing was finally created.

ClerkAdvisor

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:School Range: UT/UCLA
LR: Yes, on exec board.
Published: Selected for publication but not published yet.
Recs: 3 really good ones (2 from big name faculty 1 from unknown faculty).
2L/3l/Alum: 2L
Where Applying: Some of the "less competitive" feeders (e.g. Jones (5th) vs. Kozinski (9th)) and more competitive Dist. Ct. judges (e.g. M.D.C.A., S.D.N.Y., or D.D.C.)
Other Factors: Army Iraq veteran; V10 SA; HYS undergrad.

Would appreciate thoughts on competitiveness.

If you're at UT, you should probably be applying to all the 5th Circuit judges. And top 5% at UT/UCLA isn't going to land you a feeder—top 5% at UT/UCLA just gives you a shot at any COA. That said, I would be focusing much more on finding a good boss than finding a 'less competitive' feeder (i.e., a feeder probably isn't going to place someone who is not #1 or 2 at UT/UCLA on the Court, so you might as well find a good quality of life clerkship).

ClerkAdvisor

Re: 2014-2015 Clerkship Application Thread - OP Updated 02/08/13

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:School range: MVPB
LR? Yes w/a normal board position (not executive)
Published? Yes (one)
Recs: One good one, two that are probably average
2L/3L/Alum: 2L
Where applying: Mass-mailing most of the COA; specifically targeting a few places w/nice geography (HI, CO, etc.). Probably gonna skip district courts till OSCAR kicks in.
Other factors: V50 SA

Feel free to comment/chance me--would be much appreciated.

Top 10% at MVPB is generally a stretch for COA--it's worth applying, but odds are against it. You'll have much more success either: (a) applying for district courts (very good shot outside of competitive districts, decent shot in competitive districts) or (b) applying as an alum.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:48 am

You guys should all be getting on the case with your applications ASAP. My (preftigious) COA judge apparently just started accepting 2014 apps.

Seems like it is going to be a total free-for-all this year.

theaccidentalclerk

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:03 am

School Range: UT/UCLA
Where Applying: Some of the "less competitive" feeders (e.g. Jones (5th) vs. Kozinski (9th)) and more competitive Dist. Ct. judges (e.g. M.D.C.A., S.D.N.Y., or D.D.C.)

Well, if you want me to be serious about it, pretty much what ClerkAdviser said. You're right at the dividing line between COA and USDC, and probably just above it if you're at UT (which I assume you are, because everyone at UCLA would know that it's CD Cal and not MD Cal). You're probably not competitive for any feeders -- they're going to want top 5 students from those schools, not top 5%. And keep in mind that "competitive" isn't the same as "shoe in." I could totally see you "only" getting three COA interviews and striking out due to bad luck (e.g., two later interviews where the judge hires before s/he even sees you, and one bad interview in the remaining one).

So I'd apply broadly to COA. I'd also apply fairly broadly to the USDCs -- definitely more than just the competitive markets. One they're competitive, and two, at least SDNY and DDC have a ton of alum-only judges (don't know about CD Cal). Basically, I'd apply to every USDC judge in your region. If you're at UT, do sort of a Wright Amendment thing (look it up, youngins) -- apply to every USDC judge in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arkansas and Louisiana. If you're at UCLA, do every judge on the West Coast and Hawaii, plus Arizona, Nevada, and maybe even Utah and Colorado.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:35 am

theaccidentalclerk wrote:

You're probably not competitive for any feeders -- they're going to want top 5 students from those schools, not top 5%. And keep in mind that "competitive" isn't the same as "shoe in." I could totally see you "only" getting three COA interviews and striking out due to bad luck (e.g., two later interviews where the judge hires before s/he even sees you, and one bad interview in the remaining one).

Kozinski is going to want THE top student at either of those schools, maybe top two or three on a good year. Jones would be a little more forgiving and go UT top five students.

(Upon re-reading op's comment about feeders, it's unclear whether he is applying to Kozinski or using him as a counter-example of a competitive feeder to the less-competitive Jones.)

exitoptions

Re: 2014/2015 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby exitoptions » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:08 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School range: T6
Rank: Top 33% (Hoping to crack top 25% this semester. Also transfer, top 10% at old school for 1L)
LR? No, secondary journal (Hoping to get 3L board position)
Published? No
Recs: At least one good professor rec (might be willing to make a call), another one that's ok, hoping to get a partner/associate for a third rec this summer.
Where applying: Looking at district courts in flyovers. Honestly don't care about preftige, more interested in clerking somewhere "fun" (read: HI, AK, WY, NM, AZ, CO, etc. Ideally somewhere I can snowboard in the winter.)
Any other factors: V30 SA lined up for this summer.

Thoughts/chances? I'm honestly not "AIII or DIE" about this whole process.

FWIW, E.D. Cal. might be a good match - it's about 2 hours away from Tahoe and tends to be somewhat less competitive than other district courts in California.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School Range: UT/UCLA

I think the previous posters are a little pessimistic; I venture you will get calls from several COA judges and possibly a "feeder" or two. I clerk on a competitive circuit and your military service (on top of strong grades from a strong school) would be attractive to many judges here. It may differ in other circuits, but the likelihood of obtaining a clerkship here do not necessarily rise (after a point) with grades or even school. We see top-of-the-class academic records with such regularity that strong grades are necessary but no set of grades, standing alone, are sufficient. All other things being equal, a combat veteran with a 3.8 at UT is more likely to get a clerkship here than a K-JD with a 3.9 at Columbia.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous User wrote:

I think the previous posters are a little pessimistic; I venture you will get calls from several COA judges and possibly a "feeder" or two. I clerk on a competitive circuit and your military service (on top of strong grades from a strong school) would be attractive to many judges here. It may differ in other circuits, but the likelihood of obtaining a clerkship here do not necessarily rise (after a point) with grades or even school. We see top-of-the-class academic records with such regularity that strong grades are necessary but no set of grades, standing alone, are sufficient. All other things being equal, a combat veteran with a 3.8 at UT is more likely to get a clerkship here than a K-JD with a 3.9 at Columbia.

My COA judge (mid-range feeder--falls between Jones and Kozinski on the feeder list from the other post) puts a premium on military service. Although the judge doesn't usually hire from Texas/UCLA, your veteran status would probably help your app get picked out of the pile. I'm sure you will be successful if you target COA judges who frequently hire from your school. Ask your big-name recommenders to make phone calls for you, too. Good luck!

brick_wall

Postby brick_wall » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
My COA judge (mid-range feeder--falls between Jones and Kozinski on the feeder list from the other post) puts a premium on military service. Although the judge doesn't usually hire from Texas/UCLA, your veteran status would probably help your app get picked out of the pile. I'm sure you will be successful if you target COA judges who frequently hire from your school. Ask your big-name recommenders to make phone calls for you, too. Good luck!

Any chance you would be willing to send me a PM?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:31 pm

ClerkAdvisor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are only circuit courts going early? I'm probably more on the district court / state supreme court boat

LR?: No. Secondary journal.
Published?: Yes.
Recs: 1 mediocre from big name professor, 1 really good one from a lesser known professor, 1 glowing one from 1L employer.
Where applying?: 5th, 11th, 4th Cir. District Courts.

Some district court judges will hire very early, some will hire early, and others will be closer to the plan or still on-plan. State supreme courts generally follow their own timelines, which tend to be late spring/early summer. And top 25% at MVPB will probably be a reach for most district court judges (so, you should apply very broadly).

Thanks for the advice. Is there any way to tell which district court judges are taking early applications on OSCAR? I guess most just aren't up yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:35 pm

LR?: Secondary journal, executive board
Published?: No
Recs: 1 very positive from a professor, 1 good from a professor, 1 mediocre from a professor, and 1 good from a non-professor, known in the area.
Where applying?: DC, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 11th Circuits
Other Factors: V5 SA

Should I be applying to District Courts? COA? Any thoughts?

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School range: MVPB
LR?: Secondary journal, executive board
Recs: 1 very positive from a professor, 1 good from a professor, 1 mediocre from a professor, and 1 good from a non-professor, known in the area.
Where applying?: DC, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 11th Circuits
Other Factors: V5 SA

Should I be applying to District Courts? COA? Any thoughts?

Yes, you should be applying to district courts. DC and 2d (almost all of them) are out of the question unless you've got some crazy soft or connection you didn't mention. Top 10-15% from MVPB with no Law Review or publication and unspectacular recommendations is an uphill climb to any COA much less the competitive ones. Target flyovers, and apply to districts broadly.

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:30 pm

School range: HYS (transfer)
LR?: No. Ed Board of Secondary Journal
Recs: 3 good (none from famous profs)
Where applying?: 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 10th, 11th, a few district
Other: Military, V5 next summer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:45 pm

jrf12886 wrote:School range: HYS (transfer)

How do you know your rank at your new school? is ~15 just like 4 2L Hs or 3Hs and a P?

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:School range: HYS (transfer)

How do you know your rank at your new school? is ~15 just like 4 2L Hs or 3Hs and a P?

3 Hs (10 credits) 1 P (2 credits). I'm not sure exactly where that puts me.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Does anyone know of any sources for looking up historic hiring criteria for magistrates? My school groups district court and magistrates together. I'm trying to figure out what kind of GPA/rank is competitive. Or conversely, does anyone know what kind of GPA/rank is competitive from GULC for a magistrate judge? We aren't given exact ranks, but median is 3.3, top third is 3.55, and top 10% is 3.74.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Jessuf wrote:Does anyone know of any sources for looking up historic hiring criteria for magistrates? My school groups district court and magistrates together. I'm trying to figure out what kind of GPA/rank is competitive. Or conversely, does anyone know what kind of GPA/rank is competitive from GULC for a magistrate judge? We aren't given exact ranks, but median is 3.3, top third is 3.55, and top 10% is 3.74.

I knew a few kids from my school (T30) who got mag clerkships with top quarter or thereabouts, so I imagine top third would be good enough from GULC if you're just talking about magistrates broadly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Jessuf wrote:Does anyone know of any sources for looking up historic hiring criteria for magistrates? My school groups district court and magistrates together. I'm trying to figure out what kind of GPA/rank is competitive. Or conversely, does anyone know what kind of GPA/rank is competitive from GULC for a magistrate judge? We aren't given exact ranks, but median is 3.3, top third is 3.55, and top 10% is 3.74.

How do you know those cutoffs? I thought we "don't rank."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:07 am

School range: Lower T14
Rank: top 3-5% (we don't get rankings so it's all based on 2nd hand info)
LR?: Yes, production side e-board spot.
Published?: Won't know till later in the semester, not holding my breath
Recs: 3 that I think should be pretty good.
Where applying?: I think primarily the Midwest, District courts and COA probably in 6th, 7th, and 8th Circuits.
Any other factors:

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:21 pm

nevdash wrote:

I knew a few kids from my school (T30) who got mag clerkships with top quarter or thereabouts, so I imagine top third would be good enough from GULC if you're just talking about magistrates broadly.

Okay, this was really helpful. Thanks!

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm just going off of NALP and what GULC published as cum laude/magna cutoffs for the c/o 2012.

The whole not ranking thing really confuses me on how to figure out how competitive I am for clerkships, but that chart on the clerkship website that shows what percent of students in each GPA range got clerkships was semi-helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:School range: T6
Rank: Top 33% (Hoping to crack top 25% this semester. Also transfer, top 10% at old school for 1L)
LR? No, secondary journal (Hoping to get 3L board position)
Published? No
Recs: At least one good professor rec (might be willing to make a call), another one that's ok, hoping to get a partner/associate for a third rec this summer.
Where applying: Looking at district courts in flyovers. Honestly don't care about preftige, more interested in clerking somewhere "fun" (read: HI, AK, WY, NM, AZ, CO, etc. Ideally somewhere I can snowboard in the winter.)
Any other factors: V30 SA lined up for this summer.

Thoughts/chances? I'm honestly not "AIII or DIE" about this whole process.

FWIW, E.D. Cal. might be a good match - it's about 2 hours away from Tahoe and tends to be somewhat less competitive than other district courts in California.

OP here. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely check out ED Cal. As a more general question to everyone in this thread, what's the time line for non-prestigious district courts? I know I see a lot of people moving now for COA judges but what about the rest of us? Late spring? August?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Jessuf wrote:
nevdash wrote:

Okay, this was really helpful. Thanks!

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm just going off of NALP and what GULC published as cum laude/magna cutoffs for the c/o 2012.

The whole not ranking thing really confuses me on how to figure out how competitive I am for clerkships, but that chart on the clerkship website that shows what percent of students in each GPA range got clerkships was semi-helpful.

Anon above. Keep in mind that the published graduation cutoffs include two years, not one year, of non-1L grades (which are typically inflated from 1L) and that last year's average 1L cutoffs were higher than the year before.

Also, I agree on the clerkship chart, but keep in mind that the chart isn't "what percent of people in this GPA range got a clerkship of this type" but rather "what percent of people who got a clerkship of this type were in this GPA range." I hope that makes sense.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”