Clerking + Criminal Background

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerking + Criminal Background

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:27 pm

Anyone have any idea/experience/information/anecdotes about clerking on the federal level with a civil or criminal background? (Think a pair of underage drinking tickets & a civil violation for possession of marijuana)

atcushman

Re: Clerking + Criminal Background

Postby atcushman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:29 pm

how long ago were they? did you get treatment? have you been candid about the charges/convictions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:31 pm

All were 7+ years ago. No treatment. Fully disclosed to school/plan to disclose to C&F.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:00 pm

I found this on another site and it sounds like its at the discretion of the individual judge

I have heard of people with similar backgrounds getting positions on the state level without a problem but I dont know about the fed level.

Since this was so long ago I dont know if it is as much of a concern but the bar usual likes to see that someone with multiple substance abuse charges receives some formal abuse evaluation/treatment it may be beneficial for c&f to go to a drug and alcohol counselor etc. to give you an evaluation stating you do not need treatment and you do not have a substance abuse problem.

"Because each judge functions independently, he or she can add to the qualification requirements for law clerks within the parameters mandated by the Judicial Conference of the United States. A judge's specific qualifications for a position are listed in the position announcement accessible in the Federal Law Clerk Information System. There are, however, general requirements for employment as a federal law clerk that must be satisfied by all appointees. By the time of appointment to a law clerk position, the candidate must be a law school graduate or be certified as having completed all law school studies and requirements and merely awaiting conferment of degree. As of May 16, 2005, newly hired law clerks must undergo a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) fingerprint check. A judge also has the option of requiring a new law clerk to undergo a FBI Central Records Systems name check and a credit check. An employment appointment is provisional and contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the required fingerprint check and other option checks, if required. The court will arrange processing the background checks upon notification of an applicant's selection for a position.
https://lawclerks.ao.uscourts.gov/employinfo.htm"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks for that information. I know this is a rather unique situation, but if anyone else has thoughts regarding this, they are most appreciated.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”