Negotiating Clerkship Bonuses Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Negotiating Clerkship Bonuses

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:26 pm

I'm currently a district court clerk. After that, I'm clerking on the Federal Circuit. Has anyone (or does anyone know someone who) successfully negotiated a higher clerkship bonus or benefit?

Anonymous User

Re: Negotiating Clerkship Bonuses

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:49 pm

Former CAFC clerk here. Sure people negotiate. You can sometimes get a firm who comes in a bit below market to match market also you should get a bump for the D. Ct. clerkship as well and sometimes you need to "ask" for that bump.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Former CAFC clerk here. Sure people negotiate. You can sometimes get a firm who comes in a bit below market to match market also you should get a bump for the D. Ct. clerkship as well and sometimes you need to "ask" for that bump.
Is there any additional bump for CAFC clerks over other COA clerks? Seems like there would be a premium for them if going into patent litigation.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:24 pm

zomginternets wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Former CAFC clerk here. Sure people negotiate. You can sometimes get a firm who comes in a bit below market to match market also you should get a bump for the D. Ct. clerkship as well and sometimes you need to "ask" for that bump.
Is there any additional bump for CAFC clerks over other COA clerks? Seems like there would be a premium for them if going into patent litigation.
I've never heard of any firms differentiating among circuit courts when it comes to bonus levels.

noxhil

New

Post by noxhil » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Last edited by noxhil on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:33 pm

zomginternets wrote:

Surprisingly, yes (assuming market for other circuits is still 50k, but wtf do I know about other circuits). Market bonus for CAFC is generally 70k, though not all firms that routinely recruit CAFC clerks pay 70k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:23 am

What is the market rate among V20 (or whatever) firms for a one year district court clerkship followed by a one year COA clerkship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
zomginternets wrote:

Surprisingly, yes (assuming market for other circuits is still 50k, but wtf do I know about other circuits). Market bonus for CAFC is generally 70k, though not all firms that routinely recruit CAFC clerks pay 70k.
OP here. So does that mean that a CAFC clerk with a district court clerkship might be able to get more than 70k, given that the "market" rate for district court plus a non-CAFC COA clerkship tends to be 70k? I guess this was the crux of my question originally. Not to be greedy, but it's a bit unfortunate that I've clerked for an extra year (and given up big firm pay for an extra year) but will get no greater bonus than if I had gone straight to CAFC (assuming, of course, that that would've been possible), which is why I'm curious if firms don't offer more in that situation.
(poster above me, ^^^ the answer to your question is in mine)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
zomginternets wrote:

OP here. So does that mean that a CAFC clerk with a district court clerkship might be able to get more than 70k, given that the "market" rate for district court plus a non-CAFC COA clerkship tends to be 70k? I guess this was the crux of my question originally. Not to be greedy, but it's a bit unfortunate that I've clerked for an extra year (and given up big firm pay for an extra year) but will get no greater bonus than if I had gone straight to CAFC (assuming, of course, that that would've been possible), which is why I'm curious if firms don't offer more in that situation.
(poster above me, ^^^ the answer to your question is in mine)

Same former CAFC clerk here.

It depends on the firm, but yes some firms that pay 70k will also give you additional $$$ for a district court clerkship. I'm not sure there is a standard mark-up for the district court clerkship, but several of my co-clerks got extra coin.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”