Is a district court clerkship possible with a 3.4 from UVA?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Is a district court clerkship possible with a 3.4 from UVA?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:02 pm

I'm a lit associate at a V50. Do I need to publish something to have a shot at a district court clerkship? Is it an exercise in futility altogether?

Tom Joad

Re: Is a district court clerkship possible with a 3.4 from UVA?

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a lit associate at a V50. Do I need to publish something to have a shot at a district court clerkship? Is it an exercise in futility altogether?

On the CSO website there is a page that lists the GPAs of people who have got certain clerkships. Not sure if it included district courts or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a lit associate at a V50. Do I need to publish something to have a shot at a district court clerkship? Is it an exercise in futility altogether?

On the CSO website there is a page that lists the GPAs of people who have got certain clerkships. Not sure if it included district courts or not.

I'm an alum, and I don't have access to these stats anymore.

aces

Postby aces » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:25 am

Ask Career Services.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:28 am

It's not a futile exercise, but it may not be very successful. If I recall correctly, a 3.4 at UVA is somewhere between median and top third. It will be an uphill battle. Most of the major districts are out, but there are plenty of good judges in 'flyover' districts where you would have a good shot. I would try to find former clerks for your target judges and talk to them. Moreover, I would specifically target judges who hire only, or predominantly, alums. And, I would talk to your faculty recommenders to see if they can put in some calls for you. My only over all concern would be that you should make sure that a clerkship would be beneficial to your career -- if you're a junior associate, then yes, it would be useful, if you're a mid-level/senior associate, then probably less useful.

-DoubleClerk

Marshall Eriksen

Postby Marshall Eriksen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Last edited by Marshall Eriksen on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:06 am

Yes, it's definitely possible. I had around a 3.4 at UVA and clerked for a flyover district judge. I got interviews with 3 other federal district judges and a state supreme court justice in a big state. I seem to recall the grade distribution thing Ruth Payne gave out saying that the average district court clerk from UVA had around a 3.5, but plenty of districts had average GPAs in the 3.35-3.45 range. And she said these were ITE ranges. Just call career services and spend 15 minutes talking to them. They will give you the info, even if you're a few years out.

Dato

Postby Dato » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:28 am

bringin this one back from the dead ... when y'all are talking about your GPAs are you talking about 1L year only?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:38 am

Dato wrote:bringin this one back from the dead ... when y'all are talking about your GPAs are you talking about 1L year only?

Generally at least 1.5L year - most people apply at least after getting fall 2L grades. Technically, under the hiring plan, rising 3Ls can't apply until after 2L grades are in (whether that was September previously, or end of June now). But as more and more judges go off-plan, I think 3 semesters of grades is most common.

(Unless you apply as a 3L or alum, of course.)

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”